• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Tax Reporting ($600 Threshold per year) and Consignments
21 21

587 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2022 at 4:27 PM, WolverineX said:

Hahaha.  Zelle will be the new payment platform soon 

I'm skeptical of any service that doesn't protect your purchase. Sending via Zelle is about as risky as sending a money order. Once it's out of your hands, you'd better hope that the decency of humanity fulfills their end of the bargain - and I don't know about you, but there isn't a whole lot of that left. I won't use Zelle (or personal checks) unless the person has a bullet-proof reputation. I can walk away from any book or piece of artwork that requires payment in the form of Zelle, Checks, Venmo, Tater Tots, Bitcoin or whatever unsecured flavor-of-the-month variation they request.

On 12/1/2022 at 7:05 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm skeptical of any service that doesn't protect your purchase. Sending via Zelle is about as risky as sending a money order. Once it's out of your hands, you'd better hope that the decency of humanity fulfills their end of the bargain - and I don't know about you, but there isn't a whole lot of that left. I won't use Zelle (or personal checks) unless the person has a bullet-proof reputation. I can walk away from any book or piece of artwork that requires payment in the form of Zelle, Checks, Venmo, Tater Tots, Bitcoin or whatever unsecured flavor-of-the-month variation they request.

What is wrong with money orders if you don't mind me asking.

On 12/23/2022 at 1:33 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Just a heads up, the IRS is delaying the implementation this year.  Now goes into effect January 2024 for the 2023 calendar year.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-2023-10.pdf

Need to find a way to use my drek for collateral for bank loans so I can get negative income.  

On 12/23/2022 at 11:40 AM, DR.X said:

What is wrong with money orders if you don't mind me asking.

A money order is like a personal check - once it’s cashed, and they don’t send along whatever you’ve bought - that’s the end of it.  Got burned 20+ years ago on sending a personal check for an EBay item that was never sent - and found out that there is no way to get that money back.

I will send a personal check here to an established Boardie - no problem. Anywhere else is a no for me.

I’ve never had an issue with a money order (and didn’t use them much) but I don’t like using payments that have no safety recourse if something happens. 

On 12/23/2022 at 12:52 PM, Dr. Balls said:

A money order is like a personal check - once it’s cashed, and they don’t send along whatever you’ve bought - that’s the end of it.  Got burned 20+ years ago on sending a personal check for an EBay item that was never sent - and found out that there is no way to get that money back.

I will send a personal check here to an established Boardie - no problem. Anywhere else is a no for me.

I’ve never had an issue with a money order (and didn’t use them much) but I don’t like using payments that have no safety recourse if something happens. 

I get it. Like you though, I only send them to people I've dealt with, and never had a problem.(thumbsu

I literally for the life of me can't understand why thread is an outrage. 

If you make a profit the government has always wanted their cut for the most part, if you didnt make a profit you don't owe the government anything.  If anything most of all of our lives we got off easy on this.  Actually my bad I mean yeah the government is setting out a task force to audit the people who sold their $800 bundle of video games.  :smirk:

Too many people thought this most years prior.

"I made gross sales under 20k, so since it's under the 20K threshold that eBay/PayPal allows for automatic 1099 reporting I can keep all that profit."

My response to some of you here:

image.png.3c6cc3b2a29253a18486642a06ba4b9b.png

Edited by NewWorldOrder

I get that some of the folks here who are dealers, or treat the hobby like a business… This may seem like no big deal. You might have all the paperwork. For the pure collector who has been collecting for decades and not treating it like a busIness… buying from places that don’t offer receipts… Garage sales… Flea markets… Conventions and not keeping track… It’s a royal pain in the rear end.

The threshold has been $600 for years here in Massachusetts so I'm very used to the filing procedures but it has required keeping strict purchase records.