• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 GOLDEN AGE COMIC BOOK MARKET REPORT
8 8

328 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2022 at 8:29 PM, Big Sweets said:

The imformation, was good to get .being  a new person in the comics industries my learning curve is still going on and will always continiously  learn about this industries  everyone can learn new things about the industries .  

We have noticed here in California a marked slowdown in the real estate market especially this last weekend, ever since the interest rates have gone up very fast. with 30 year fixed rates raising to 5.5%  according to": mortgage news daily"|" which is the go to site for mortgage rates." Homes which would get 10-15 offers are getting 1/2 and as rates go up, the air will be even thinner for buyers, especially first time and trade up buyers with lower existing mortgage rates. This real time, on the ground info and how that leads into our GA/SA comic book market is that we should begin to see the effects of some sort of price slowdown before my predicted June time period.

The key is what will the tell-tail signs be, what will be the first segment to feel it. I would feed GA/SA books with large defects, poor paper quality, and rusted staples will be the first to go negative. The headline books will be the last go as well an a unicorn high graded GA/SA.

I want to be clear my long term projections for choice GA/SA, I am very bullish on long term valuation on these books as they are not making any more of them and time goes on, their  significance will increase in our culture. So if you are buying today or next month and you have the financial ability to hold for a 3+, 4, 5 year period you should be ok as the fundamental rule of any tangible is the date that really counts is the date  WHEN you sell the asset and who cares what happens in between.

With credit costs increasing on a daily basis by the federal reserve increasing the federal funds  rate which  impacts on short term loans, credit cards etc we will see how this change will effect GA/SA prices.

You thoughts....?

Agree with the assessment that the grails, the highest graded and the classic covers will be the last to feel the affects. But I don’t think they will feel them at all, really. I think a crashed stock market will just end up chasing more money our way. The mid-run, mid-grade, non keys will likely be the only victims

Just looking at Ha weekly results. 

A Showgirls 2 classic Dan DeCarlo in 7.5 sold. Harley had the same copy and was asking $2K. I don't know whether Harley consigned this or someone who bought it from him, but it ended up going for $2.520.00, out stripping Harley's price, a man not known for his modest asks. 

All the other stuff I tracked also did quite well. Especially in the GGA market. Check out the Willie 15 I was bidding on, but didn't get.

On 5/2/2022 at 8:48 PM, comicnoir said:

Just looking at Ha weekly results. 

A Showgirls 2 classic Dan DeCarlo in 7.5 sold. Harley had the same copy and was asking $2K. I don't know whether Harley consigned this or someone who bought it from him, but it ended up going for $2.520.00, out stripping Harley's price, a man not known for his modest asks. 

All the other stuff I tracked also did quite well. Especially in the GGA market. Check out the Willie 15 I was bidding on, but didn't get.

I picked up a nice little pile from his boxes at WonderCon at VERY good prices. A boardie next to me mentioned that Harley probably had not looked through them for a very long time. Probably pre “cooties”…

I stay on top of these markets pretty well, and IMO there will be softening of the GA/SA dreck market, but I see continued growth in mid to high grade as a hedge against inflation. Summer and beyond should be quite the ride once the majority realize they'll have to wait in a long line for their bread and cheese rationing. Rich will remain mostly rich and continue to invest in collectables. Of course though, I don't give financial advice (shrug)

Bob's posts may describe something that is more typical than some might think.  I know guys who are in the that mid-60s+ sweet spot who started back when collectors got a ton of great stuff they are sitting on, who, like Bob, are starting to flip a switch on comic collecting.  It's not just that those ordinary guys have collections that are worth way more than they could afford to buy today, and they could use some extra retirement income, but also that selling can take a burden off their heirs and open doors to explore that may be as fun as collecting comics.  If we see more of those guys selling comics, as seems inevitable, I think it would have a mixed impact on prices.  

On 5/4/2022 at 11:45 AM, Robot Man said:

In my case, it’s not that I have lost the love of my books. I don’t need the money. But I have always set limits on what I would pay for my hobby. I’ve just reached my limits I guess.

I have always been a big PCH fan. I grabbed up tons of them when very few people wanted them. They were, for a very long time very affordable. I bought them for covers sure, but I also bought for content. Some had both, a lot like Avon, Star and ACG were a bit weak inside so I waited on a lot of them. A few slipped through the cracks. Chamber of Chills #19 is one of the big ones. It was always around and I waited on it buying other stuff instead. A big hole now but for the numbers it brings, I can die happy without it. Other than that and a couple others, I figure I am pretty complete. Which leaves me with some “filler” issues that I pick up as the opportunity arises.

In the past few years, I have been whittling down my collection. Books and other stuff that really don’t mean much to me. Using the money to buy a classic muscle car, a couple vintage motorcycles, vacations for my family, travel and helping out my kids. I have no real debt and I don’t miss these books at all.

I have set up my family with who to call when I go to the great junk show in the sky. I know I would be very unhappy if it were all gone. Breaking a lifetime of hunting, collecting and enjoying the fruits of it are tough indeed…

i agree with everything except the part where u don't miss the books you've sold, as i have many regrets of the books i've parted with

On 5/1/2022 at 10:29 PM, Big Sweets said:

The imformation, was good to get .being  a new person in the comics industries my learning curve is still going on and will always continiously  learn about this industries  everyone can learn new things about the industries .  

Hello.  I honestly like to give newbies advice.  And I will if you want.  But for now just let me say, in regards to your comment....

This board is great for information.  And helpful; you can ask anything and get good info.  Good guys on here.  And it's fun !!

But you will not get good investing advice on here.  Yes comics in general are a good investment.  But as for which comics will go way up and how things will shape up in the future, or what certain comics should be worth....most advice and opinions here are very bad.  So my general advice is....use your own judgement.  Compare comics to sports cards and other collectibles and make your own predictions.

On 5/4/2022 at 1:27 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I guess that's your opinion

Ok without me even trying to re-hash the past....let me simply put my money where my mouth is and give you my top investment picks:

For newbies....items that might still be possible to throw down 20% on and figure out a way to get it:

More Fun Comics #31....first printed image of Superman.

Human Torch #3(#2)....first printed image of Captain America.

The Flash and Thrill ashcans.... first Captain Marvel.

Any pre-first-appearances.  And the best conditioned first appearances of lesser GA characters.

Current valid drivers licences and passports of famous people when they died.  I predict that these will be the 'rookie cards' of celebrities in the future.

Edited by ChillMan

On 5/4/2022 at 10:58 AM, ChillMan said:

But you will not get good investing advice on here.  Yes comics in general are a good investment.  But as for which comics will go way up and how things will shape up in the future, or what certain comics should be worth....most advice and opinions here are very bad.  

I could not agree more.  I remember when this poster named Big Moov shared these tidbits back in 2015:

"No way that Superman and Batman continue to sell for many multiples of Aquaman and Green Arrow together. The gap will continue to close. As more time goes by, my guess is that the aforementioned will be worth twice as much, yeah. 3X as much? Maybe but probably not. 4X as much. No."

Here we are seven years later, no MF 73 has ever sold for more than what, $150K?  Am I right?  I know a 7.5 and 8.0 barely topped $100K.  A 9.0 is rumored to have hit $140K. Are you aware of some big MF 73 sale I've missed?  If anyone is, it should be you.

Meanwhile, the MH Superman 1 8.5 (highest graded) just sold for $5.3M.  An Action 1 8.5 (4th best at most) has hit $3.25M. Heck, even a lowly Batman 1 8.0 has sold for $1.44M.  And a 9.4 for $2.22M.  

That is a heck of a lot more than a 4x multiplier (or 3x or 2x) for Superman and Batman over "Aquaman and Green Arrow put together" in similar grades. 

And that's not even raising the issue of how many multiples the MH Action 1 or Allentown D27 would get over the MH MF 73 9.4. (I'm guessing 10x at least).  And that's post hitting the bullseye with Arrow on tv and the cresting of the wave with Aquaman movie.

So, yeah, I've seen some bad advice on this site.  :wink:  

On 5/4/2022 at 11:56 PM, Robot Man said:

Here’s some good advice…

Buy what you like at a price that is affordable to you and you can rarely go wrong.

But keep one eye on the market and the upside regarding investment potential. :smirk: