• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 GOLDEN AGE COMIC BOOK MARKET REPORT
8 8

328 posts in this topic

I think after today, after out GA price minds were blown by a 6.0 hitting over 3M and other record prices, we can reflect on this...what is safe to buy in todays 2022 GA market. I believe the "promise" books once completely sold out, will go up..and based upon todays prices the early buyers are looking really good. I would say promise books are a safe bet. Also it now appears we have lost our obsession with having the highest graded copy be limited to the six zeros' club and now we are in the 7 number club. I will be watching this latest auction. and I did notice one thing, especially on the higher priced items... a lot of cut bids and HA says its limited to only one, but you could have more than one account.My feeling is there was  a lot of new bidders and they appear to have big wallets cominginto  the GA comic book market in 2022,

Edited by Mmehdy

Another record price, by grade, for Marvel Family 1 here --> https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/the-marvel-family-1-fawcett-publications-1945-cgc-vf-nm-90-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7266-91042.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Movie to be released July 29, 2022. Will be interesting to see how it fluctuates until then.

As we head toward FEB 2022 we have encountered  stock market and CRYPTO flash crashes (  136 Billion on Friday alone), with the weekend futures  DJI trading down another 500 points heading to Monday. First, for those of you who sold stock or Bitcoin whatever to get GA the good news is our GA is like big ship and does not blow with the wind. However a prolonged downturn or major correction will affect the GA comic book market, especially in setting new record prices for mid-grade GA Keys. After this market downturn I would not want to be the one that paid over 3 Million dollars for a 6.0 copy of Action #1 with a few of the major hedge fund buyers now out of the market or sitting on the sidelines waiting to see how this shakes out. Because of limited supply the only safe harbors would be single family real estate/multifamily units in which rents seem to be sharply up following inflation and with 3 million housing shortage in terms of needed units, I do not see new construction going anywhere significant to solve that shortage long term. The same with choice GA...especially CGC graded, strong staple and page quality, and bright colors you should be able ride this correction and they are not just making anymore of these and there are very few original owner GA collections yet to be discovered. However my current  2022 GA buying advice given this strong strong financial headwind is revised as follows: 1- GA market value appreciation could be capped due to this crisis much earlier than my July slowdown due to the federal reserve not making the number of their potential  interest rate increase being known...I have heard all the way from 7 this year( Jamie Diamond) to 3......thus creating market uncertainly in everything including GA investment key mega books. 2- I would not pay the worlds highest price for any GA right now...meaning be careful on what you buy and especially what you pay in terms of true market value vs hype....on a GA comic book ungraded say under $100...there is not much lower you can really go price wise but buying a Det 27 under 5.0 for over 1 million dollars should ring alarm bells. So just use sane and safe pricing in case this is a recession which will take us down for the next 2/3 years. 3-I would raise my buying standards in terms of grading and not just accept 2/3 best at 3 times the price from a year ago. I would use extreme caution in purchasing any 1950's horror comic book for 15K or 20K or 30 times guide or whatever as that market is potentially very hot and very overblown. Hot markets can turn on a dime and go a long way down...be careful

It is going to be very interesting to see if the HA Jan sale was a "top of the market" type event......

Your comments would be appreciated.

Edited by Mmehdy

all of the people buying million dollar comics have enough cash to do so, and are going to be fine so long as they dont up and run.  And if they do because they intended to to flip quickly, THAT was their mistake.  They didnt do their homework on our hobby.  As for mega GA key prices dropping?  Well, they dont sell that often so we are always guessing what they are worth. Therefore, there won't be any price data to SHOW a downturn unless the owners decide to or need to sell during a downturn. The ones that might need to would be long time collectors whose "elderly" financial situation has them comics rich and cash poor.  Too bad you cant borrow against comics.  or can you?

On 1/22/2022 at 7:29 PM, Robot Man said:

I have found that experiences are far more rewarding than stuff. 

I agree with this 100%. This hobby has done more for me than just the accumulating of comics. I have an entire social system that stems from it. 

Edited by Ryan.

On 1/22/2022 at 4:34 PM, Ryan. said:

I agree with this 100%. This hobby has done more for me than just the accumulating of comics. I have an entire social system that stems from it. 

Yep, the “thrill of the hunt” and the people you meet along the way are the best part of collecting.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:41 PM, Robot Man said:

So are you saying this bull market comic frenzy that you have been pounding is actually a bad thing for these deep pocketed Promise buyers? 

there are a lot of promise books and still especially those books which are being auctioned weekly....those are solid buys no matter what, is going on...especially if you can hold them for a while. but I think this headwind will put some type of price limit on growth for 2022 and 2021 will go down in the record books.

Edited by Mmehdy

Despite another  market correction going up and down over 1000 points today, I do not see any panic selling of Action #1 's today, but one factor to consider is that a number of high profile traders have what is called a "margin" account, in which they use their existing stock to guarantee a short term loan in which to borrow to either invest in more stocks, bonds, or to diversify and possible use those margin funds to by very high priced key GA....if the market trends continues their could be a margin call in which the funds would be due and payable upon demand from the lender. Generally they give 3 business days to settle up. The disadvantage for the small to major GA dealers is can they come with the big amount of cash to buy those books for inventory in a quick purchase situation. Look for HA and CC to be the sources to get quick cash for auction advances, however they are quite aware of the possible fallout and might offer an advance at 50 cents on the dollar if that. So the one advantage that stock and bonds have is an immediate sell market to go to. How much would those dealers discount..so they can make a safe profit...any predictions?

If the downward trend continues look for a record year for consignments to  HA and CC of high quality investment GA an possible Mega Key  speculator purchases  of  whom  both HA and CC will come out as winners, as they have no ownership interest at stake and they get a % every time, no matter what the sale price is.

A very interesting start to 2022...you comments are appreciated

Edited by Mmehdy

On 1/22/2022 at 12:27 PM, Mmehdy said:

As we head toward FEB 2022 we have encountered  stock market and CRYPTO flash crashes (  136 Billion on Friday alone), with the weekend futures  DJI trading down another 500 points heading to Monday. First, for those of you who sold stock or Bitcoin whatever to get GA the good news is our GA is like big ship and does not blow with the wind. However a prolonged downturn or major correction will affect the GA comic book market, especially in setting new record prices for mid-grade GA Keys. After this market downturn I would not want to be the one that paid over 3 Million dollars for a 6.0 copy of Action #1 with a few of the major hedge fund buyers now out of the market or sitting on the sidelines waiting to see how this shakes out. Because of limited supply the only safe harbors would be single family real estate/multifamily units in which rents seem to be sharply up following inflation and with 3 million housing shortage in terms of needed units, I do not see new construction going anywhere significant to solve that shortage long term. The same with choice GA...especially CGC graded, strong staple and page quality, and bright colors you should be able ride this correction and they are not just making anymore of these and there are very few original owner GA collections yet to be discovered. However my current  2022 GA buying advice given this strong strong financial headwind is revised as follows: 1- GA market value appreciation could be capped due to this crisis much earlier than my July slowdown due to the federal reserve not making the number of their potential  interest rate increase being known...I have heard all the way from 7 this year( Jamie Diamond) to 3......thus creating market uncertainly in everything including GA investment key mega books. 2- I would not pay the worlds highest price for any GA right now...meaning be careful on what you buy and especially what you pay in terms of true market value vs hype....on a GA comic book ungraded say under $100...there is not much lower you can really go price wise but buying a Det 27 under 5.0 for over 1 million dollars should ring alarm bells. So just use sane and safe pricing in case this is a recession which will take us down for the next 2/3 years. 3-I would raise my buying standards in terms of grading and not just accept 2/3 best at 3 times the price from a year ago. I would use extreme caution in purchasing any 1950's horror comic book for 15K or 20K or 30 times guide or whatever as that market is potentially very hot and very overblown. Hot markets can turn on a dime and go a long way down...be careful

It is going to be very interesting to see if the HA Jan sale was a "top of the market" type event......

Your comments would be appreciated.

I am not either of these people but I would much, much prefer to be the guy who paid 3mil + for the Action 1 than to be the guy paying a similar amount for a small stack of 1950s horror comics  at 30X guide.  

On 1/22/2022 at 7:29 PM, Robot Man said:

That’s great if it makes you happy, buy the right stuff and are financially able to do so without impacting your bank account or other investments.

I have actually gone the other way and will continue to do so on 2022. Of course, I have been doing it for 50 years so I am very happy with my collection.

I have taken the direction of quietly selling off a lot of stuff and taking advantage of the current buying frenzy. Impacting my core collection very little.

I have been putting some of this money into other non collectible assets. Also buying things that I could never afford while working and supporting my family.

I am now retired and debt free. Living very comfortable. A lot of the reason is I have always lived within my means with long term goals in mind. I will continue to slowly cash in. Once this world is free of “cooties”, I plan to travel a lot to some more bucket list places. I have found that experiences are far more rewarding than stuff. 

^^^^ This, all day !    :golfclap:    not quite at the retirement stage, but my ongoing philosophy as well .

The imformation, was good to get .being  a new person in the comics industries my learning curve is still going on and will always continiously  learn about this industries  everyone can learn new things about the industries .