• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 GOLDEN AGE COMIC BOOK MARKET REPORT
8 8

328 posts in this topic

"Collectors are realizing its better to   that they'd rather have something than nothing on many of these extremely costly in high grade or virtually unseen gold age gems,  driving even missing pieces and low PQ examples up."

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/4/2022 at 9:35 PM, Aman619 said:

as to high grade vs low grade, I think the last 5-10 years have forced us to realize that so many of us made the "mistake" of buying the best copy we could afford for safety and investment potential, and not amassing multiples of low grade keys. As the HG copies have skyrocketed out of reach of collectors, its been the carpy "low grade swill" (as we used to refer to them) that have seen such incredible growth in values as they are eagerly scooped up rather than NOT have a copy.  This applies not only to AF15, but also these highly coveted PCH classics.

The problem with low grade keys is that they tend to break off in the lock.

Seriously, you're making a good point and I don't disagree, but the issue then becomes one of sustaining value after a steep rise if the market shifts from highly coveted to mostly high grade coveted.   That's when numbers and pecking order matters.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:04 AM, LearnedHand said:

"Mistake."  LOL.  Only if the purchaser's focus is using the hobby to make money instead of the foundational reasons for the hobby: the fun and satisfaction that comes from the hunt and collecting our favorite titles, artists, and stories.   :baiting:   

Sadly, it seems that majority of buyers I sell to seem to be more of flippers and short time “investment” rather than true collectors.

Many flippers seem to care more about the rush of a quick flip rather than the books themselves.

I have always been a collector first and a seller of books that don’t interest me to fund my collection.

Nothing wrong with either approach I guess. Just seems a little sad that the love of the medium has taken a bit of a back seat to the lure of quick cash. 

Every collectible has been roaring and soaring. Not unique to comics. The irony is that a lot of inflows into collectibles is from “smart money” looking to diversify their holdings from very expensively priced equities and few bargains in “normal” investment areas.

There are clear bubbles within these collectible markets. GA books is not one of them (even if prices would come down with any broader collectibles slowdown). The bubbles are in Marvel spec (anything tangentially MCU) and modern variants. Those issues with huge supply and lots of visible price gains where stimulus checks are indeed flowing into at the lower end.

The low supply GA and SA issues will do well longer-term. DC books are likely to significantly outperform Marvel. The market overall is at risk but for that to unwind a bunch of other asset classes will need to fall too (less about comics specifically). Inflation, interest rates, and other macro drivers will tell the story. But long-term real scarcity dozens or hundreds of copies, not thousands) and staying-power wins, along with a general acceptance for treating classic comics more like fine art and fine art prints. 

Edited by BraveDave

On 1/6/2022 at 6:40 AM, BraveDave said:

Every collectible has been roaring and soaring. Not unique to comics. The irony is that a lot of inflows into collectibles is from “smart money” looking to diversify their holdings from very expensively priced equities and few bargains in “normal” investment areas.

There are clear bubbles within these collectible markets. GA books is not one of them (even if prices would come down with any broader collectibles slowdown). The bubbles are in Marvel spec (anything tangentially MCU) and modern variants. Those issues with huge supply and lots of visible price gains where stimulus checks are indeed flowing into at the lower end.

The low supply GA and SA issues will do well longer-term. DC books are likely to significantly outperform Marvel. The market overall is at risk but for that to unwind a bunch of other asset classes will need to fall too (less about comics specifically). Inflation, interest rates, and other macro drivers will tell the story. But long-term real scarcity dozens or hundreds of copies, not thousands) and staying-power wins, along with a general acceptance for treating classic comics more like fine art and fine art prints. 

^^^^

this  :highfive:

On 1/6/2022 at 3:40 AM, BraveDave said:

But long-term real scarcity dozens or hundreds of copies, not thousands) and staying-power wins, along with a general acceptance for treating classic comics more like fine art and fine art prints. 

And other countries' collector-investors moving their assets in to American pop culture. e.g. HA.com breaks $1 Billion sales in 2021 link. Inflation is 'a tax on cash' so collector-investors are diversifying as fast as they can in 2021 and 2022. Sky high values on Pokemon base set boxes, factory sealed Super Mario 64 game, Gretzky Canadian O-pee-chee rookie card over $3 mil, AF 15 Cgc 9.6 $3.6 mil.

Michael Jordan loses bid of $100k to relocate a very old oak tree to his mansion.

2021 was the year I sold off my 70+ raw flash comics collection (avg. VG) on eBay, over a four week period in October/November.

My pre-sale collection estimate was about half of what the collection sold for. Anticipating eBay policy of ‘the buyer is always right’, I got pinched only one time. Having navigated eBay waters for eons, I chalked it up to ‘cost of doing business’.

I feel fortunate that my WWII, Korean War, PCH, Romance bingo card had been fulfilled years ago.