• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 GOLDEN AGE COMIC BOOK MARKET REPORT
7 7

328 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2022 at 7:02 PM, adamstrange said:

Or as Shakespeare would have put it:  "Yea, verily and forsooth, the tomes over in yonder sale, amongst them the one and sixty All-American, did not, methinks, surpasseth all understanding.'

Uh, this was All-American, not Thor.

On 5/24/2022 at 11:20 PM, buttock said:

I found a box of good bourbons and scotches I set away a few years ago in the basement because I ran out of space.  They're probably worth twice what I paid.  Maybe I should sell them too!

So you can spend the proceeds on

Inside the world's sex capital: City dubbed 'modern day Sodom and Gomorrah'  with highest number of prostitutes anywhere - Mirror Online

and

The impact of cocaine on communities | FRANK

?

Edited by tth2

On 5/24/2022 at 7:24 AM, buttock said:

I read this as him saying it's an example of a book that did not overachieve. 

Yes that is what I meant. The book performed poorly at this auction. It has been selling for way more than that lately. The Amazing Fantasy's sold for less than comprable copies at Heritage and ComicConnect as well. 

With Crypto melting down look for those investors might  switch out into new assets. Metro announced they are accepting "Bitpay" for ALL purchases. I would not be surprised to see an increased GA/SA comic book market demand. When Ha.com or CC or CL comes on board, look for that new stream of income to prop up prices. Now that the Fed has increased the cost of money to its member banks, look for credit card and home interest rate to increase overall in the future.

In the mean time looking at the big Ha.com auction tomorrow it looks like business as "usual"...anyone see anything different in the 2022 market ???

Edited by Mmehdy

On 6/15/2022 at 5:43 PM, Mmehdy said:

With Crypto melting down look for those investors might  switch out into new assets. Metro announced they are accepting "Bitpay" for ALL purchases. I would not be surprised to see an increased GA/SA comic book market demand. When Ha.com or CC or CL comes on board, look for that new stream of income to prop up prices. Now that the Fed has increased the cost of money to its member banks, look for credit card and home interest rate to increase overall in the future.

In the mean time looking at the big Ha.com auction tomorrow it looks like business as "usual"...anyone see anything different in the 2022 market ???

I’m crawling thru the darkness with a flashlight here, myself.

If the crypto guys stick around, that’ll affect the big ticket items. First appearances will play well with them. Not sure how they will feel about irrelevant books collected due to covers that strike us, the collecting community, as classic covers. I don’t think they’ll care at all about mid-grade middle of the run books.

Interesting to hear the auction houses are now accepting crypto. 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 6/15/2022 at 6:43 PM, Mmehdy said:

The market is changing.  I just got done updating my in-house guide for silver-age to present (takes about 2 weeks to do... massive amount of data).  I haven't got to gold... but it's tricky anyway as there aren't enough sales to see patterns easily.

Take aways:  Early and expensive silver has held firm or is still moving up (though slower).  If you're buying $10k comics routinely, you probably don't care about gas prices increasing.  Bronze-age is taking a bit of a hit... though often around 20%, which simply takes it back to where it was at the start of the year.  Moderns are getting creamed.  Dozens and dozens of books that were $50 6 weeks ago that are $20 now.

On 6/16/2022 at 11:43 AM, Bookery said:

The market is changing.  I just got done updating my in-house guide for silver-age to present (takes about 2 weeks to do... massive amount of data).  I haven't got to gold... but it's tricky anyway as there aren't enough sales to see patterns easily.

Take aways:  Early and expensive silver has held firm or is still moving up (though slower).  If you're buying $10k comics routinely, you probably don't care about gas prices increasing.  Bronze-age is taking a bit of a hit... though often around 20%, which simply takes it back to where it was at the start of the year.  Moderns are getting creamed.  Dozens and dozens of books that were $50 6 weeks ago that are $20 now.

Tim, can I ask how you do this?  Is it just based off of what sells vs doesn't?  Sounds like a huge task.  

On 6/16/2022 at 2:08 PM, buttock said:

Tim, can I ask how you do this?  Is it just based off of what sells vs doesn't?  Sounds like a huge task.  

I use a combination of GPAnalysis (esp. for bigger-priced items, and then I adjust my own formula for raw books) and Key Collector (less valuable items and certain variants) and sometimes cross-link directly with eBay sales.  This latest updating involved over 800 value-line changes.  In my area, sellers expect high percentages for their collections.  I can't afford to be behind, esp. on falling prices, or I won't be in business for long.  In the old days, it wasn't that big a deal... adjust a couple of times per year.  Now, the markets are so volatile it takes up a huge amount of time.  I last updated in April and figured I was good through summer.  But in the past few weeks values for many issues have fallen so fast that I had to do another update already.

On 6/16/2022 at 1:10 PM, Bookery said:

I use a combination of GPAnalysis (esp. for bigger-priced items, and then I adjust my own formula for raw books) and Key Collector (less valuable items and certain variants) and sometimes cross-link directly with eBay sales.  This latest updating involved over 800 value-line changes.  In my area, sellers expect high percentages for their collections.  I can't afford to be behind, esp. on falling prices, or I won't be in business for long.  In the old days, it wasn't that big a deal... adjust a couple of times per year.  Now, the markets are so volatile it takes up a huge amount of time.  I last updated in April and figured I was good through summer.  But in the past few weeks values for many issues have fallen so fast that I had to do another update already.

You should just use Overstreet... 

Thanks for the input.  I'm always interested in how successful dealers manage things.  

On 6/17/2022 at 12:41 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Just wait till they figure out two bits is only worth 25 cents. :ohnoez:

Criminy!  I've lost a fortune investing in these!! :pullhair:

image.png.cde8d5d7d3d491b51e9bb9d548d3c1d2.png