• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces Updates to Services and Fees for 2022
6 6

228 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2022 at 6:53 PM, Old Fashion PB and J said:
On 1/4/2022 at 6:51 PM, D84 said:

Let's see... They were bought by a venture capital firm and now the prices have gone up twice in less than a year.

Maybe there's a correlation? (shrug)

Nope, purely coincidental. 

Blackrock reports earnings this month. Probably will include projections too.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:32 AM, Funnybooks said:

at times we are our own worst enemy by the decisions we make...stop using cgc and the price hikes will cease and the quality control will improve..until then, there is very little incentive for a business to alter the way they operate

I think that if the volume of books decreases, CGC will have to increase prices to remain profitable. I do agree that if people stop using CGC, it will certainly get their attention, and hopefully they will get their act together. I do think a helpful step would be to write a letter to CGC stating that you have a large number of books to be graded, but you won't send them in until they improve their QC and their timeliness. Many of us have expressed our opinions here, but I really doubt that any of the decision makers read this forum. In my experience, sending a letter is more effective than making a phone call or emailing. Just think how easy it is to click "Delete" when you receive an email.

I used to submit books to sell in my eBay store that were worth over $200.  Today I only submit books that are worth over $1000 to take advantage of the express TAT... like most, I find the TATs for the lower tiers unreasonable.  I list the books that I would have previously submitted to CGC raw on Ebay now.  It may take a little longer to sell them, but I have a pretty good reputation for grading and service on eBay (and a high 100% positive feedback count) and I haven't had much issue moving these books raw for a reasonable price.  So CGC has definitely lost business from me at least.  Whether the purchasers of my books are submitting them anyway is another story.(shrug)    

On 1/5/2022 at 9:04 AM, Math Teacher said:

I think that if the volume of books decreases, CGC will have to increase prices to remain profitable. I do agree that if people stop using CGC, it will certainly get their attention, and hopefully they will get their act together. I do think a helpful step would be to write a letter to CGC stating that you have a large number of books to be graded, but you won't send them in until they improve their QC and their timeliness. Many of us have expressed our opinions here, but I really doubt that any of the decision makers read this forum. In my experience, sending a letter is more effective than making a phone call or emailing. Just think how easy it is to click "Delete" when you receive an email.

A letter? Why not a telegraph?

No. Find out where Blackrock's earnings call is, stake out, and protest TATs... ;^)

On 1/4/2022 at 11:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Are you referring to books like Eternals 1 with a CGC 9.6 graded copy being able to fetch $1,200 back in September, but now only able to fetch $288 a few short months later.  Not to be left out of course, the CGC 9.8 highest graded copies which were selling into the low $3K's earlier this year can barely fetch $1K in today's red hot marketplace.  Or how about former red hot books like Marvel Super Heores 13 which were selling for multiples of guide, but now only able to sell for a discount to condition guide value.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

I am referring to that if a dealer (reseller) has a firm grasp of the comic book market, and is always disciplined its very easy to make money in this hobby IMO.  Both books you used as your example I would have told you they were obviously prime for a huge downturn swing:wink:.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/5/2022 at 10:59 AM, cd4ever said:

But we WANT to use CGC. We like and appreciate their services. 

If there's a really great restaurant you like and enjoy eating at, but it's expensive and there's usually a long wait for a table, you don't just stop going. That doesn't solve the problem. Now you're just sitting home eating a PGX burger. And it kinda tastes like very old fish. 

Fair point...I would play devils advocate and say that if I made a reservation at this restaurant for 6:00 pm only to later find out that they really never had intentions of honoring that reservation but knew that I would wait for a table at 9:00 because they are the "best" restaurant in town. I would imagine that the restaurant would get lambasted and people would eventually go to another restaurant. 

You have me beat at PGX lol