• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm noticing an increasing number of WTB posts in the WTB section with no grade ranges OR price ranges in the listing.
10 10

Should moderation be active on WTB posts that are vague?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should moderation be active on WTB posts that are vague?

• Yes?
    • No?

157 posts in this topic

I voted no before you modified the poll.  I posted a WTB for a Killing Joke 9th printing, a book that is currently going for obscene amounts on EBay when it’s not really the hardest printing to obtain actually if you look at the census. (I actually ended up slabbing copies that were rarer.)

I actually got a copy at a great price off a board member which led to more exchanges that mutually benefited both of us. (I’m not concerned about getting a Top Registry notation.)

I didn’t care necessarily about the grade… I was just interested in completing the base Killing Joke set.

Edited by sckao

On 1/8/2022 at 10:23 PM, sckao said:

I voted no before you modified the poll.  I posted a WTB for a Killing Joke 9th printing, a book that is currently going for obscene amounts on EBay when it’s not really the hardest printing to obtain actually if you look at the census. (I actually ended up slabbing copies that were rarer.)

I actually got a copy at a great price off a board member which led to more exchanges that mutually benefited both of us. (I’m not concerned about getting a Top Registry notation.)

I didn’t care necessarily about the grade… I was just interested in completing the base Killing Joke set.

CBE383F1-F438-497B-A3ED-6159EAD56A94.gif.1a841fe8159ef05837f119ca15ccdb47.gif

On 1/8/2022 at 4:46 PM, musicmeta said:

I definitely think some sort of grade range should be required.  You are buying a comic book that can vary wildly in price depending on the condition of the book.  
Here's another thing I see sometimes... WTB post that do specify everything that is needed. They list the book(s), issue number(s), acceptable grade ranges and even "although IMO you shouldn't need to do this"...a price willing to pay!
and THEN....you hear nothing from them when there will be several posts ...like "I've got a copy within your buying parameters or "Here it is..".... 
I thought the WTB was supposed to be for SERIOUS buyers not for "Tire Kicking" to get virtually something for nothing.

Whenever I post a WTB thread, I make sure I have the money to pay for it should some seller have what I'm looking at the price I'm willing to pay.  I want that book and I'm posting a WTB thread because I'm serious about buying it. 
That reminds me..  Looking for a CGC 9.8 copy of Action Comics #1 and #2.......etc...

This was always my personal philosophy.  If it’s a particular book I’m looking for, I list a grade range and a price.  It might not be the exact dollar amount, but something like “willing to pay around GPA” or something like that has worked out for me.    Sometimes I’ve said “I’ll pay 90 day average or last sale, whichever is Higher/lower”.  That might help someone decide if they even want to dig the book out/scan it/reach out.

IMO, more information is better.  But, again, I understand folks might not want to list a price.  I think a grade range is the least someone can do.  

On 1/8/2022 at 3:31 AM, Buzzetta said:

When I am looking for a particular issue I will post a grade range and ask those that have the book that wish to sell me a copy to let me know what they have and what the price is that they are looking for on it.  This is basically the same thing I would do at a comic con.  I walk up to a dealer and ask, "Do you have this issue of this title?"  He will take a look and show me the books and the price range. 

I never walk up to a dealer and say, I am looking for this issue of this title, and I am looking to pay this amount.  

(thumbsu

On 1/9/2022 at 12:22 PM, blazingbob said:

Since my last post didn't really clarify the idea that a free buying and selling site shouldn't be expected to go out of its way to "force" compliance let me say this.

Is it really inconvenient to message a buyer?  Post a response asking for some more information?  Are we that important and busy?  Is it a BIG waste of time to do that?

Versus going to a show,  setting up,  expenses, etc, digging through sellers boxes looking for stuff I need.  Based on time I spend looking for books WTB ads save me a lot of time regardless of the listing.    

If a WTB response results in a sale that is a Big win for me since I got a new source,  got a book I need and possibly a new lead down the line.  

Maybe you one finger typing wonders should learn how to type.  Takes me seconds to type up a response,  even faster when its a insult :jokealert:

To me it's like when someone walks into a bar and says to the bartender "I want a beer" . 

Do you want a Heineken? Michelob? Sapporo?

To me it's just laziness. Yes, I can message all of them. But to me it's just another slippery slope into the lazy Idiocracy we're becoming as a society. 

Also, it keeps me from typing out useless posts on the rest of the forum. :devil:

On 1/9/2022 at 1:12 PM, blazingbob said:

Almost every WTB ad states a title/number so the " I want a beer" response might be the useless part of this post.

If laziness and idocracy in society is your new calling by all means start a Motivational company. 

www.roydeliccultofpersonality.com I think is available   

To me a buyer not putting a grade on a WTB post is no different than a seller not putting a grade on a WTS post.

Everyone's mileage is going to vary, judging by the results of this thread but at least 30% of the people (and likely more) feel that at least a grade range should be a minimum requirement. 

To each their own. 

I have a website. It's called the CGC  boards. :jokealert:

Edited by VintageComics

Not everyone has a grade in mind or a set dollar price in mind. If no grade is given then any grade is probably welcomed because the balance of grade/price is the overriding factor just as it would be in real-life at a convention.

A person would not turn down a book that isn’t in their “grade” range if it was an amazingly, great price at a convention necessarily or a hard to find book in any grade.

If writing the DM is too much trouble, then don’t answer the WTB post. (shrug)

Edited by sckao

I voted no but agree that the grade range should be part of the post. I think I've only posted once in that section and IIRC, it led to nothing. I'm sure I didn't put the price in the post and would not do so if I use that area in the future. I generally have a price range in mind on a book and if a seller comes back with a book in my grade range and it's reasonable I will likely take it. counter offer or discuss a bulk buy. Not much different than the approach I would take at a con or here (shrug). If you don't like the post or feel that a price is a requirement to you, move on...

On 1/9/2022 at 8:30 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

I have read thru the current 1st page of the WTB section and I see what the OP is talking about. It's almost like many buyers don't know what they want and need people to come and play salesman. 

Imagine that?  Having to actually work a bit to make a sale.  

In my case it is as simple as run a query against my website,  link to the result set.  Total amount of effort exerted,  1 minute.  Damn I'm exhausted.  

Here is a suggestion that might be better.

Come up with the "I'm just looking" identifier.  

Edited by blazingbob