• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars #8 OA page sells for 3.4 million, first page appearance of the black costume.
6 6

250 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 3:20 PM, chrisco37 said:

That's frikkin' nuts.  I would've been stunned if the cover went for that kind of loot.  But the page????  I don't get it.  To each their own.  

Must be nice to have that kind of money.  Good for the seller (and the buyer, I guess).  

I think real story here is

”good for the auction house” ….. ultimately I think this is what it’s all about ….

Jim Halperin at it again ?

so would the hypothesis be that both players were Halperin? because if I was shilling my piece up there is no reason to go 10x estimates, step away and let the other have it at 1.8 or whatever and still make a huge splash. if it is market manipulation, again I concede I may not think large enough for these things, but it seems so heavy handed to go all that way to 3.3 

either is equally plausible to me...chandelier bids and the piece was sold to the house OR two young rich men duking it out

I watched some of the auction and I thought that either "Heratige Live" is a very talented voice actor or that it was "Free Pizza Day" in the lunchroom and everyone got to shout out big numbers before going back to work.

Cynicism aside, I'd never seen a comic auction live so that was pretty neat.

So... Heritage sells the Cap 59 from the Promise Collection at auction for $50,400.

The winner?  Vince and the guys at Metro.

Metro then puts it on the website for $55,000 and is willing to take offers.

Let's assume that they are willing to take 10% off.  Let's assume that they take 5% off... 

Why dump so soon and why tie up $50,000 to make around $2500 assuming it will sell and even less after their own expenditures? 

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.43.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.44.10 AM.png

On 1/15/2022 at 6:54 AM, Buzzetta said:

So... Heritage sells the Cap 59 from the Promise Collection at auction for $50,400.

The winner?  Vince and the guys at Metro.

Metro then puts it on the website for $55,000 and is willing to take offers.

Let's assume that they are willing to take 10% off.  Let's assume that they take 5% off... 

Why dump so soon and why tie up $50,000 to make around $2500 assuming it will sell and even less after their own expenditures? 

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.43.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.44.10 AM.png

gee it couldnt be because that was metros own book in the first place, and they bought it themselves at HA to establish an auction price of record.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:56 AM, Bird said:

so would the hypothesis be that both players were Halperin? because if I was shilling my piece up there is no reason to go 10x estimates, step away and let the other have it at 1.8 or whatever and still make a huge splash. if it is market manipulation, again I concede I may not think large enough for these things, but it seems so heavy handed to go all that way to 3.3 

either is equally plausible to me...chandelier bids and the piece was sold to the house OR two young rich men duking it out

Maybe it's "blanket" market manipulation.  Lots of OA may be coming out of the woodwork now to get sent to Heritage.  "Everything" is super valuable now.   2 cents. I think there is a lot of back deal collusion going on the BSD's are manipulating a red hot "perceived" market.

Edited by BEAUMONTS

On 1/13/2022 at 3:02 PM, Lazyboy said:

"first page appearance of the black costume"

Not even close. It's only the first page with Spidey wearing the full black costume in the issue in which it's finally explained how he got it but which came out after he got rid of it in ASM 258.

And, yes, that price is nuts.

This page doesn’t even explain how he got the black costume, it’s the page before this one that shows the origin of how Spider-Man got it. 

This book came out 7 months after the black costumes 1st appearance in May. 

On 1/15/2022 at 12:26 PM, Timely said:

This page doesn’t even explain how he got the black costume, it’s the page before this one that shows the origin of how Spider-Man got it. 

I’m guessing the next auction will contain the previous page.:p

On 1/15/2022 at 9:16 AM, BEAUMONTS said:

"Everything" is super valuable now.   2 cents. I think there is a lot of back deal collusion going on the BSD's are manipulating a red hot "perceived" market.

Tulip mania in 2021-2022 paper collectibles market and the public relations marketing/social media machine? Logan Paul Pokemon 'sealed box' first base set scam with G.I. Joe cards, etc.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

On 1/15/2022 at 12:26 PM, Timely said:

Not only that, but Amazing Spider-man 258 (11/84) comes out before Secret Wars 8 (12/84).  ASM 258 is actually when he learns it's an Alien Symbiote after going to get it checked out by Reed Richards. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 1/13/2022 at 2:55 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I know next to nothing about OA, but that was astounding to watch.  Couple of people there with stupid money who really, really wanted that page.

It's all about the money shot, artist/inker and it's significance