• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars #8 OA page sells for 3.4 million, first page appearance of the black costume.
6 6

250 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2022 at 4:41 PM, Grendel72 said:

Yup. As evidenced by the price of a 181 vs 180 book. There is a premium for nostalgia that we are more willing to pay for. So regardless where and how many times Gambit appeared before, 266 will always be the prize if someone wanted his first appearance. Would be cool if the pages for 180 and 181 both come up in the same auction, then we would really know...that 181 would blow 180 out of the water. 

If I'm not mistaken the original art for 181 was destroyed in a house fire.

On 1/16/2022 at 12:45 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

2a70a49cf191491b41f25458de7165fd.jpg.483e67f9094df2f1893b422c82f974e7.jpg

My coworker told me that she saw a few dead rats on the sidewalk and someone took the time to make an outline and also made the number cards.

My disappointment was that she did not take a picture.  I went looking for it after work but someone had already cleaned it by then. 

On 1/16/2022 at 8:34 PM, Beyonder123 said:

If I'm not mistaken the original art for 181 was destroyed in a house fire.

Yes, when Len Wein's house caught fire.  The interiors for 181 were destroyed as was the cover for Giant Size X-Men 1.

On 1/16/2022 at 7:48 PM, Buzzetta said:

My coworker told me that she saw a few dead rats on the sidewalk and someone took the time to make an outline and also made the number cards.

My disappointment was that she did not take a picture.  I went looking for it after work but someone had already cleaned it by then. 

Poor fella. He was just trying to feed his teenage turtles. 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:32 PM, greggy said:

Not according to posts in the art section.

The Hulk pages were damaged but restored and still exists with the family Len Wein.

The GS X-men cover is owned by Dave Mandel and here's the picture in his CAF gallery.

xoxo

Useful greggy

Giant Size X-men 1 Cover Comic Art

That is good to know.  I remembered when the news broke that those were reported as being lost. 

On 1/16/2022 at 7:32 PM, greggy said:

Not according to posts in the art section.

The Hulk pages were damaged but restored and still exists with the family Len Wein.

The GS X-men cover is owned by Dave Mandel and here's the picture in his CAF gallery.

xoxo

Useful greggy

Giant Size X-men 1 Cover Comic Art

Greggy has did it again.

On 1/17/2022 at 4:49 PM, paqart said:

Back in the 1990's, I penciled a few comics for Marvel, DC, and Harris Comics. I also did all the art chores on a couple of issues before moving to Hollywood to make a proper salary. When I moved to Hollywood, I sold my collection of original art by Kirby, Everett, Walt Kelly, Colin Wilson, and many others. The Kirby's in particular are now worth a fortune (they included early Thors inked by Everett, pages from Fantastic Four 19-21, a full page splash from Demon, Captain America pages, and others (about 25 pages in total). I wish I still had them but don't regret selling them because at the time I needed the money. By 2003, I had accumulated several dozen originals by Byrne, some Josh Campbell, another Kirby (an old horror story), and others. At the time, I was preparing to move to Europe for a new job, so I sold them all, including all the pages I had made. As part of that sale, I accidentally sold a complete but unpublished comic I'd done when I started out. Again, though I wish I still had the Byrnes (a lot of Next Men pages, including the cover to #13, and a few Wonder Woman pages), I don't regret those sales either because I needed the money at the time.

As far as my own work is concerned, if someone buys it from me, they own it. If it sells for millions, that's their windfall not mine and they're welcome to it. However, if that happened, my other work, including new work, would likely go up in price, so I would still benefit.

In case anyone is curious what my work looks like, here is a link to one of my websites. You'll be seeing more of my work in the near future because I started drawing comics again thanks to the lockdowns. I did a story with Chuck Dixon last year but my next story will be in Graham Nolan's anthology title "Giant-Size Two-Fisted Manly Tales" (part of a 1950's inspired comics he is doing). The other stories are all by names you'd recognize, though they won't be announced until the campaign is live.

My art site

Giant-Size Two-Fisted Manly Tales

Not to be political (this is all I'll say), but when I read you say your most recent work was with Chuck Dixon I was a bit wary, but reading the campaign page for that Manly Tales carp set off all my alarm bells with its carp about how our culture doesn't allow men to be men today. Yuck. 

Sorry mate, your art looks nice, but I won't be supporting it if that's the kind of rubbish you wish to produce. 

To move it back on topic, it's so nice seeing the cover to GSX1. I too thought it'd been lost. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 1/17/2022 at 9:33 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Not to be political (this is all I'll say), but when I read you say your most recent work was with Chuck Dixon I was a bit wary, but reading the campaign page for that Manly Tales carp set off all my alarm bells with its carp about how our culture doesn't allow men to be men today. Yuck. 

Sorry mate, your art looks nice, but I won't be supporting it if that's the kind of rubbish you wish to produce. 

To move it back on topic, it's so nice seeing the cover to GSX1. I too thought it'd been lost. 

I guess tolerance is no longer considered desirable in some pockets of society but that is just one of the reasons comics are made.

On 1/16/2022 at 1:26 AM, Poekaymon said:

Fun fact: despite all the Law and Order episodes, police have not actually done chalk outlines in at least 100 years.

This is true.  However, the general public does not know that. 

So when you get a hold of a roll of "police line", and draw chalk outlines on your friend's driveway as a late night prank for his neighbors to see in the morning, the rewards reap themselves. 

IMG_8169.jpeg

Edited by Buzzetta

On 1/17/2022 at 11:56 AM, Buzzetta said:

This is true.  However, the general public does not know that. 

So when you get a hold of a roll of "police line", and draw chalk outlines on your friend's driveway as a late night prank for his neighbors to see in the morning, the rewards reap themselves. 

IMG_8169.jpeg

When there was a shooting at my apartment building in Hollywood, I got stuck between my studio apartment that I used as an office, and the larger apartment I lived in with my family. While I waited for the police to finish their investigation, I sat on the curb and made a fast watercolor of the dead man in our driveway, along with his rifle. This is what it looked like.

010199b.jpg

On 1/17/2022 at 12:05 PM, paqart said:

When there was a shooting at my apartment building in Hollywood, I got stuck between my studio apartment that I used as an office, and the larger apartment I lived in with my family. While I waited for the police to finish their investigation, I sat on the curb and made a fast watercolor of the dead man in our driveway, along with his rifle. This is what it looked like.

010199b.jpg

You would love the subway and train platforms of New York City.  He is not dead.  He was running around earlier in the day going all sorts of crazy.  He settled here and then was flapping his body around like he was trying to swim off somewhere while yelling. 

I think there is an unwritten rule on the boards of posting pics of dead bodies.

IMG_8149.jpeg

Edited by Buzzetta

On 1/17/2022 at 12:08 PM, Buzzetta said:

Depends what you are asking people to be tolerant about I guess.

Prior to Christmas I had someone cry out on our local village app, that people need to be more tolerant of other viewpoints after we pulled his post.  We pulled his post because he said something along the lines of, "We need to protect the community and that he would never sell his house to a (insert racial slur for African Americans here)."  His post was pulled.   

No society does not have to tolerate everything. 

So like with all things, it depends. 

That example is unrelated to the subject here. Comics have become watered down in recent years for the sake of "tolerance" but have at the same time become intolerant of so many other things that there is hardly anything left to construct a story around. It reminds me of when I spent six weeks in China, and everyone was afraid to say what was on their mind. Military police were everywhere, and everyone was watched by their neighbors. It was quite unsettling.