• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars #8 OA page sells for 3.4 million, first page appearance of the black costume.
6 6

250 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2022 at 7:47 PM, lou_fine said:

On what basis or proof is there that the Super Mario graded video game auction result was "not real" or is this just a conspiracy theory here?  ???

its a whole thing. lots of round and round it goes, but I think guy buy games in bulk, guy starts game company, guy's company works with other companies like HA and cgc, cgc grades the games, ha sells the games, maybe ha people buy the games, everyone markets the sales, rinse repeat, rinse repeat, RECORD SETTING RINSE REPEAT

or so I heard.

Then combine with past shenanigans discussed on board by HA consignors (hey mikey, he likes it! Mikey likes it!) sorry I couldn't pass that up some of whom involve the same companies or possible players or not shenanigans but dealer-to-dealer-to-auction where first dealer buys it-to-dealer-to-dealer sales we get to an increased level of cynicism about the OA market.

well, some do. Not me though. :devil:

On 1/17/2022 at 8:56 AM, Buzzetta said:

This is true.  However, the general public does not know that. 

So when you get a hold of a roll of "police line", and draw chalk outlines on your friend's driveway as a late night prank for his neighbors to see in the morning, the rewards reap themselves. 

IMG_8169.jpeg

I have done this prank.  People show up claiming they heard the shots.  lol 

On 1/17/2022 at 6:33 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:
On 1/16/2022 at 10:49 PM, paqart said:

Back in the 1990's, I penciled a few comics for Marvel, DC, and Harris Comics. I also did all the art chores on a couple of issues before moving to Hollywood to make a proper salary. When I moved to Hollywood, I sold my collection of original art by Kirby, Everett, Walt Kelly, Colin Wilson, and many others. The Kirby's in particular are now worth a fortune (they included early Thors inked by Everett, pages from Fantastic Four 19-21, a full page splash from Demon, Captain America pages, and others (about 25 pages in total). I wish I still had them but don't regret selling them because at the time I needed the money. By 2003, I had accumulated several dozen originals by Byrne, some Josh Campbell, another Kirby (an old horror story), and others. At the time, I was preparing to move to Europe for a new job, so I sold them all, including all the pages I had made. As part of that sale, I accidentally sold a complete but unpublished comic I'd done when I started out. Again, though I wish I still had the Byrnes (a lot of Next Men pages, including the cover to #13, and a few Wonder Woman pages), I don't regret those sales either because I needed the money at the time.

As far as my own work is concerned, if someone buys it from me, they own it. If it sells for millions, that's their windfall not mine and they're welcome to it. However, if that happened, my other work, including new work, would likely go up in price, so I would still benefit.

In case anyone is curious what my work looks like, here is a link to one of my websites. You'll be seeing more of my work in the near future because I started drawing comics again thanks to the lockdowns. I did a story with Chuck Dixon last year but my next story will be in Graham Nolan's anthology title "Giant-Size Two-Fisted Manly Tales" (part of a 1950's inspired comics he is doing). The other stories are all by names you'd recognize, though they won't be announced until the campaign is live.

My art site

Giant-Size Two-Fisted Manly Tales

Expand  

Not to be political (this is all I'll say), but when I read you say your most recent work was with Chuck Dixon I was a bit wary, but reading the campaign page for that Manly Tales carp set off all my alarm bells with its carp about how our culture doesn't allow men to be men today. Yuck. 

Sorry mate, your art looks nice, but I won't be supporting it if that's the kind of rubbish you wish to produce. 

To move it back on topic, it's so nice seeing the cover to GSX1. I too thought it'd been lost. 

Not taking any side here but just curious-would comics about "women being women" also be yuck?

On 1/18/2022 at 1:06 PM, kav said:

Not taking any side here but just curious-would comics about "women being women" also be yuck?

Quite possibly. It's the 'being women' that'd be an issue. Certainly if it had feminist overtones, then that's a definite problem, and that's the kind of political comic that is ruining the industry etc etc etc. By feminist its really just 'women being women and not being totally subservient to men at every oplortunity.' Remember what sparked it all was a photo of women having a darn milkshake. How that equals destroying the comics industry I have no idea. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 1/17/2022 at 10:06 PM, kav said:

That's not what he said.  What he said "yuck" to a campaign page which was complaining about how "today's culture doesn't allow men to be men."  And I agree--though I wouldn't say yuck, I'd just say it's dumb as [expletive].  What does it mean for "men to be men," first off?  If men being men meant being kind and charitable then I would be behind that.  But since "today's culture doesn't allow it" then I am pretty sure the "manliness" is something else.  So I suppose I don't qualify. 

Side question: do you feel like today's culture doesn't allow you to be a man, Kav?  

On 1/17/2022 at 7:23 PM, Poekaymon said:

That's not what he said.  What he said "yuck" to a campaign page which was complaining about how "today's culture doesn't allow men to be men."  And I agree--though I wouldn't say yuck, I'd just say it's dumb as [expletive].  What does it mean for "men to be men," first off?  If men being men meant being kind and charitable then I would be behind that.  But since "today's culture doesn't allow it" then I am pretty sure the "manliness" is something else.  So I suppose I don't qualify. 

Side question: do you feel like today's culture doesn't allow you to be a man, Kav?  

Well I wouldnt allow that.  But I have experienced being chided for 'toxic masculinity' when I wasnt doing anything wrong.  

One example I can think of-this homeless guy at a coffeeshop was yelling at a woman.  Then he grabbed her hair.  I went over and knocked him to the ground.  She freaked out on me and said some choice things about 'being a man'.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:54 AM, Buzzetta said:

So... Heritage sells the Cap 59 from the Promise Collection at auction for $50,400.

The winner?  Vince and the guys at Metro.

Metro then puts it on the website for $55,000 and is willing to take offers.

This is Metro after all that we are talking about in terms of their well known reputation for their willingness to take offers.  :devil:

I remember dealing with Fishler back in the day when he was operating on his own, and if I asked him for say $200 off the price of a book, he would always say absolutely no problem.  Instead of taking $200 off his original price though, he would tack on another $200 on top of his original price. (:  

People that dealt with Fishler back then said he was always too serious with no sense of humour, but I always found that he just had a different dryer sense of humor which I didn't mind at all.  lol  (thumbsu

On 1/15/2022 at 6:54 AM, Buzzetta said:

Let's assume that they are willing to take 10% off.  Let's assume that they take 5% off... 

Why dump so soon and why tie up $50,000 to make around $2500 assuming it will sell and even less after their own expenditures? 

I imagine the more likely scenario is that they might simply have thought that they had a ready buyer for this book in this condition, but the buyer backed out and Metro is just trying to recoup their money on the book now.  The other possibility is that the potential buyer had a change of heart, but couldn't back out of the deal with Metro, but Metro was willing to provide a way out for them in the form of a consignment to sell the book on their behalf.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/15/2022 at 8:08 AM, alexgross.com said:

gee it couldnt be because that was metros own book in the first place, and they bought it themselves at HA to establish an auction price of record.

Definitely NOT Metro's book in the first place because this was the Promise Collection copy and as we all should well know by now, Heritage (in conjunction with CGC lol) is the first to market with all of the books from this pedigree collection.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/17/2022 at 4:57 PM, Bird said:
On 1/17/2022 at 4:47 PM, lou_fine said:

On what basis or proof is there that the Super Mario graded video game auction result was "not real" or is this just a conspiracy theory here?  ???

its a whole thing. lots of round and round it goes, but I think guy buy games in bulk, guy starts game company, guy's company works with other companies like HA and cgc, cgc grades the games, ha sells the games, maybe ha people buy the games, everyone markets the sales, rinse repeat, rinse repeat, RECORD SETTING RINSE REPEAT

or so I heard.

Then combine with past shenanigans discussed on board by HA consignors (hey mikey, he likes it! Mikey likes it!) sorry I couldn't pass that up some of whom involve the same companies or possible players or not shenanigans but dealer-to-dealer-to-auction where first dealer buys it-to-dealer-to-dealer sales we get to an increased level of cynicism about the OA market.

well, some do. Not me though. :devil:

So, no real evidence or proof of any actual misdealings by Heritage and WATA with the whole Super Mario 64 video game auction result, and really just more of a supposition or possible conspiracy theory for now.  hm

I thought it would at least be based on some scenario such as this one-off completely out of the ballpark very high profile video game public auction result being followed up by other video game public auction million dollar sales and then this exact same Super Mario 64 video game then being sold off at a substantially lower price point (by say half a million) in a rather low profile private sales transaction a few short months later. :devil:

Some kind of scenario like this would have at least given a bit more meat to the conspiracy theory being postulated here, but pretty much nada so far from what I am seeing here. (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/17/2022 at 10:23 PM, Poekaymon said:

doc savage.jpg

We are about to have insane price increases to our gas and electricity supplies here in Britain, and perhaps it may be worth it for us to consider cheaper alternatives such as purchasing and burning original comic art, at least until the financial burden is alleviated by the introduction of cheap, virtually free and unlimited fusion power.

So, there’s always a positive to be found for the struggling masses.

On 1/18/2022 at 4:41 PM, paqart said:

doc savage.jpg

Could you please share with us the context for this post, why you posted this cover, and how it relates to discussions that have been had until now? Cheers. 

On 1/17/2022 at 9:00 PM, lou_fine said:

So, no real evidence or proof of any actual misdealings by Heritage and WATA with the whole Super Mario 64 video game auction result, and really just more of a supposition or possible conspiracy theory for now.  hm

I thought it would at least be based on some scenario such as this one-off completely out of the ballpark very high profile video game public auction result being followed up by other video game public auction million dollar sales and then this exact same Super Mario 64 video game then being sold off at a substantially lower price point (by say half a million) in a rather low profile private sales transaction a few short months later. :devil:

Some kind of scenario like this would have at least given a bit more meat to the conspiracy theory being postulated here, but pretty much nada so far from what I am seeing here. (shrug)

you're correct, these are allegations, which is pretty much what everything is until proven in a court of law, right? unfortunately, when you've been sued publicly by your own employees, for shilling your own stuff, and your owner testifies that yes, in fact there was a shill bidding account created, there is a great cloud of suspicion created that is hard to shake. i've personally experienced shill bidding with heritage and spoken to numerous dealers who also have. can we prove it? no. am i certain? yes.

if i recall, jobst, in his video allegations says that the video game collector field is very insular, and that it would be known within the field if any real collector bought the mario game. either way, numerous parties there allege multiple shenanigans between HA and WATA. again, all allegations. 

that's certainly enough for many people to suspect that some of their other record breaking results are not legitimate. if you can learn who bought the OA to this asm page, that would certainly go a long ways to showing that the sale was legit. short of that, i choose to remain suspicious. 

11D1ED27-FE99-4D19-8D93-63D422ED6314.jpeg