• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd Annual Grading Contest Round 2 (Results are In)
10 10

117 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 5:39 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I definitely agree with this . I had a book come back today that was previously a CGC 7.0 that the press and clean brought it up to a 9.2. When I first looked it both in the original case and raw I did not see it getting that big if a bump. (You can see it in my journal/Jock signing) 

Hey just took a look at your post.  I think you were right in your initial thought that it couldn't get that big of a bump.  Unless I'm not seeing things right it seems like on the back there above the ring is like a 2 inch or so color breaking crease still so no clue how it could get the bump to 9.2. Not trying to knock it down just making an observation.  Hope that guy grades all my stuff. Congrats on the grade

On 1/19/2022 at 4:50 PM, Croatbag said:

Hey just took a look at your post.  I think you were right in your initial thought that it couldn't get that big of a bump.  Unless I'm not seeing things right it seems like on the back there above the ring is like a 2 inch or so color breaking crease still so no clue how it could get the bump to 9.2. Not trying to knock it down just making an observation.  Hope that guy grades all my stuff. Congrats on the grade

My thoughts exactly.  It does still have the lines on the back, but they definitely made them a LOT more subtle and the front presents EXTREMELY well, but it definitely was one where I hope that I keep drawing that grader. :wishluck:

I keep seeing stains that are not stains. Maybe they are production related - or my computer screen is dirty. 

Let's see if my greater than 0 score can continue through the next round. lol. 

I am pretty happy with this round.  1 bullseye, a near miss and the 583 well I wondered about that lower left corner but then thought maybe it was like UF4 with some of the art making it look like issues and didn't search the cover out elsewhere to see if that was right or not. (shrug)

Again, nice books @William-James88!

On 1/19/2022 at 8:36 PM, Crops068 said:

I am pretty happy with this round.  1 bullseye, a near miss and the 583 well I wondered about that lower left corner but then thought maybe it was like UF4 with some of the art making it look like issues and didn't search the cover out elsewhere to see if that was right or not. (shrug)

Again, nice books @William-James88!

thanks man! 

I can tell you are all fans of Mr Terrific because you guys value Fair Play. 

And I know this because the Detective 135 (which was causing a lot of you guys trouble with that ink on the back) would have been very easy to get right if people didn't play fair and looked at the census. The census won't help you for round 3, so I'm not worried, but here is what it looks like for Detective 135 Canadian Edition:

image.thumb.png.97267aff28cab2b1019266304be1e96c.png

Is it still a brag to have the highest copy on census when it's also the only copy on census?

Edited by William-James88

On 1/20/2022 at 4:49 PM, William-James88 said:

Is it still a brag to have the highest copy on census when it's also the only copy on census?

I sure hope so as I have several of these.:sumo: (Solo highest graded census copies )

On 1/20/2022 at 5:49 PM, William-James88 said:

I can tell you are all fans of Mr Terrific because you guys value Fair Play. 

And I know this because the Detective 135 (which was causing a lot of you guys trouble with that ink on the back) would have been very easy to get right if people didn't play fair and looked at the census.

You say that, but I count FOUR people, yes FOUR, who suspiciously got it exactly right.  Hmmmmmmmm?

Also, people who were only 1 grade off were clearly just trying to be sneaky and not be TOO obvious by hitting it dead on.  

Clearly the only fair thing is to disqualify all those scores.