• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I Cursed or Is Everyone Having Severe, Severe Problems with CGC?
2 2

63 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 4:52 PM, kav said:

Self-grading and slabbing like the self check out lines at walmart would be great!

I give this post a 10. 

And all of my books as well..:shy:

On 1/19/2022 at 12:33 PM, The Meta said:

Yeah, you've been here complaining since day one. 

I want some data, that includes you and other people. 

Nobody cares if you'll submit again, least of all CGC

Wow you're an incredibly rude person.  

On 1/19/2022 at 7:16 PM, Tafkap said:
On 1/19/2022 at 12:33 PM, The Meta said:

Yeah, you've been here complaining since day one. 

I want some data, that includes you and other people. 

Nobody cares if you'll submit again, least of all CGC

It would be good to include some data to dispute his claim.

While I don't dispute your claim, it does nothing to challenge the charges.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:16 PM, Tafkap said:

Perhaps

I am the type of person who generally acts accordingly. I'll never ever tell you that you "should" do something. I'm not someone who will persuade you to do what I want you to do.

I'm the type of person who wants people to have critical thinking skills so I can have more than a cursory discussion. 

Yeah, superficial people find me rude, and that is their right

WOW! This is the VERY FIRST TIME I have done this query on my BING SEARCH! I ALSO have had this MISERABLE EXPERIENCE with 

several dozen submissions INCLUDING with S.S. submissions. Must, this BELLY-FLOP/BURN has resulted in neither anymore attempts

with CGC & I am now very carefully following CBCS. I KNOW for a FACT (A very close friend in P.O. along with another who retired

with 35 years at USPS) that sending ANYTHING to FL is "like sending something to Greece".

I could go on, but I will close with one example:

I "Cherry-Picked" from over 1,000 Direct, fresh from Diamond Distributors copies of X-MEN#1 DELUXE Edition.

Sent in over 100 of these Puppies to CGC & did indeed receive 3 full 25 count-boxes with over 95% coming in at 9.8.

THEN, I got one 25-count with EVERY BOOK banged on that same corner with 9.0s all the way.

I have been so bummed over this that I stopped ALL submissions & will probably start sending to CBCS in the near Future.

You Good People have Inspired me to finally call CGC & air my considerable list of grievances as this is only fair to them

that they KNOW in NO UNCERTAIN Terms what is continuing to happen to many of us Professional Collectors.

On 7/18/2022 at 8:36 AM, MCF335 said:

fresh from Diamond Distributors copies of X-MEN#1 DELUXE Edition.

Sent in over 100 of these Puppies to CGC 

Professional Collectors.

Hi! Can you explain more about this 100 X-Men #1 project? What was your intention? Thanks,

I "Cherry-Picked" from over 1,000 Direct, fresh from Diamond Distributors copies of X-MEN#1 DELUXE Edition.

Sent in over 100 of these Puppies to CGC & did indeed receive 3 full 25 count-boxes with over 95% coming in at 9.8.

THEN, I got one 25-count with EVERY BOOK banged on that same corner with 9.0s all the way.

Sounds like the fourth box got damaged on the way TO CGC.  That is probably the only way they could have the same corner bent - box impacted on a corner, and maybe the box sprang back into position, not showing the damage. 

If CGC gets damaged boxes, they usually return them without opening them, but it will depend on the severity.  So it if looks kinda ok, it probably gets opened.  Then they go through their normal logging in procedures.  They don't know what the books looked like before they got them. 

It would seem logical that if they see something significant like a bent corner over and over, they could put 2 + 2 together and figure they got damaged.  But they don't.

Maybe we should put a notice on the pack of comics: "THESE COMICS ARE FLAT WITH NO CRUNCHED CORNERS.  IF YOU FIND THAT THE CORNERS ARE BENT, THEY GOT DAMAGED IN SHIPMENT.  PLEASE NOTIFY ME OR RETURN WITHOUT GRADING."  I'm not sure even that will work.

Edited by Lightning55

On 7/18/2022 at 9:36 AM, MCF335 said:

WOW! This is the VERY FIRST TIME I have done this query on my BING SEARCH! I ALSO have had this MISERABLE EXPERIENCE with 

several dozen submissions INCLUDING with S.S. submissions. Must, this BELLY-FLOP/BURN has resulted in neither anymore attempts

with CGC & I am now very carefully following CBCS. I KNOW for a FACT (A very close friend in P.O. along with another who retired

with 35 years at USPS) that sending ANYTHING to FL is "like sending something to Greece".

I could go on, but I will close with one example:

I have been so bummed over this that I stopped ALL submissions & will probably start sending to CBCS in the near Future.

You Good People have Inspired me to finally call CGC & air my considerable list of grievances as this is only fair to them

that they KNOW in NO UNCERTAIN Terms what is continuing to happen to many of us Professional Collectors.

:shiftyeyes:

On 7/18/2022 at 5:09 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m trying to figure out why a professional collector would submit 100 copies of X-Men 1

My guess was to professionally collect that tied-up dough. If you can manage to pull all 9.8s out of 100 of them, then $100 gpa x 100 is a fair return after cost.

Edited by KirbyTown

When I got notice of the price increase, I had little time to go thru my 40,000 plus collection with inspecting-bagging, blah blah.

So, I KNEW my X-MEN#1 Deluxe collection was top-notch/no worries. Hasten to Bubble-pack sets of 5 bagged & boarded, double-box with padding in between & send Priority. I was burning up the midnight oil (ended up sending in well over 35 25-count boxes;-) before the price increase. SCORE Or so I hoped...

FYI, having started collecting in the 50's with Professional Artists in my Family, I knew Jim Lee's Art would endure the test of time,

NO PROBLEM!

Yup, I did a lot of volume submissions when I started out with CGC:

70 S.S. SPAWN#1 (98% 9.8s ;-} 100 ASM Carnage submissions for Mark to sign...

This is a GOOD thing, yes? I'm not the only Fellow with a well-stocked Warehouse.

What IS my intention? To provide ardent Fans/ Collectors with some nice stuff for their personal Collections.

On 7/18/2022 at 6:27 PM, Dave2739 said:

I'm trying to figure out what a "professional collector" is.

I was kind of struck by that too.  I mean, you don't get paid for collecting stuff; you only make money by selling stuff.

So a professional comic retailer, sure, but a professional comic collector?  Doubtful.

On 7/18/2022 at 8:05 PM, Axe Elf said:

I was kind of struck by that too.  I mean, you don't get paid for collecting stuff; you only make money by selling stuff.

So a professional comic retailer, sure, but a professional comic collector?  Doubtful.

That whole post reads like copypasta.  It hits nearly every stereotype and trope of a comic book person.  

Sounds more like a comic "speculator".  Buying large quantities of spec books, holding for an appropriate time, grading and selling the "winners".

Nothing wrong with that.  Other people might have mutual funds.  This is more "hands on", and maybe more enjoyable.  Until CGC throws you a major curve, ruining your business plan.