• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Comic Magazines
6 6

317 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2024 at 1:42 PM, wpbooks01 said:

Congrats on your completion! A major undertaking and no doubt a major amount of space needed to store the 'run' in! Thankfully the two-volume set from Dark Horse put the kibosh on my aim to do the same, and I salute your fortitude!

It's three magazine boxes, roughly.   So not quite crazy space, but definitely not nothing.

The sad thing is, I've got the Dark Horse collections as well. 

My next Kurtzman project is to finish the Humbug run; I've got all of his MAD issues, as well as Trump and Help!

On 1/24/2024 at 12:18 PM, ThothAmon said:

IMG_0889.jpeg

IMG_0890.jpeg

Ah, a Fass pub, too, eh,?  That one's been popping up time and again (unsurprisingly) in my eBay searches for 70s punk rock mags.  Haven't seen a cheap-ish + decent condition edition yet.  You have a nice one there :)

Edited by Darwination

On 1/27/2024 at 8:10 PM, Darwination said:

Unbelievablev01n01(1940-Winter.Friday)cover.thumb.jpg.abc4b36b6f159800e1bb4383b0339275.jpg

A new one, 1940 pub from Dan Gillmor and Lev Gleason naming some big names on the wrong side of history.

25 cents small fortune back then 👍❤️💰☹️

Hi - Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

I have an opportunity to buy a Playboy #1.  I do not have the magazine in hand because it is with the original owner who said he bought it when it came out in 1953.  

I don't know anything about Playboy magazines.

I see where there seems to be several original editions.  Then several later reprints.  But the information is not complete and scattered among different websites.  And I don't know how accurate each website is.

I'm using market pricing from GPA, ebay and some auction sites to determine value..

Would anyone have advice on how to determine if the magazine is an original 1953 edition and not a reprint?  Here are 3 images I have:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thank you for the Heritage reference where I can see the sales! 

The ebay link does not go to an valid ebay site with any info.

The CGC string doesn't seem to give a definitive answer on 2 or 3 staples?

Further in the CGC string says  "The 2nd reprint has a square box very similar to the original."  So I'm still wondering how to tell the difference between the reprint and well preserved original?

https://www.lettieriauction.com/auction-lot/playboy-marilyn-monroe-volume-one-number-one-repr_3FE47CF931

Regarding the staples, this auction says:

Description:

1953 PLAYBOY VOLUME ONE NUMBER ONE REPRINT 2007 very good not graded condition reprint how I know.. 3 staples instead of two and triangle not square in upper right corning 2007 reprints were differentiated from the original by having a black rectangle in the upper right hand corner instead of a square and used three staples in the binding instead of two.

Thank you. 

So to recap, originals have 2 staples, black square. Some originals have page 3 numbered, some originals do not. 

Reprints have 3 staples, black rectangle or black square, and page 3 numbered.. 

So my picture has a black square.  If it has 2 staples, would you say it's original?  That seems to be very easy...

Or is there another check to be made?