• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Comic Magazines
6 6

316 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2023 at 8:26 PM, Darwination said:

Who published this one WP?

You sicko :D

I have some other magazines in one of my random boxes that make Violent World almost seem quaint! Ever seen Al Goldstein's Death magazine (actually a tabloid that lasted 4 issues!  I have one, and a photocopied compilation of the run that I snagged around 25 years ago that made me aware of it's existence.....has remained mostly elusive.....and then there is True Sex Crimes which was at least two issues, as I have one and have seen pictures of another that I don't have, and on and on....)

Violent World is assumed to have been a Myron Fass Production, as....how could it not be...though the indicia has it credited to some other company, that is probably one of his shells!  I was actually tipped off to VW from a small article in an issue of Hustler I snagged from one of my parent's pals when I was a horny teen.....even in 1977 VW was pretty hard to find if you had no access to an 'urban' newsstand!!!!

I could show you sick....but then I'd risk never hearing from you again.....:foryou:. That would make me sadz!

cough, yes I wouldn't break out the bad mags or anything having just arrived.  But later. Yassss.

I'm not into gore, but I do chase varieties of exploitation mags. 

Ok, just one.

I'm told this is Vanessa Del Rio.  I don't seem to have an image of my raw cover, this is an edit from McCoy.  I've got four issues of this.  Not exactly my bag, but I'm an explorer, you know :goodvsevil:MobsandGangsv02n01(1978-04.StoriesLayoutandPress)coverMcCoyEdit.thumb.jpg.14fc392fea34821dc621bd31e813f48a.jpg

Looks like Vanessa! I have some Mafia and Crime exploitation mags, but as far as gore goes......to me it's just another thing to exploit, so it becomes part of the collection!!! It's all fair game to me if it ain't Redbook, Family Circle or Time and Newsweek......but even those mags could probably be construed as exploitative in some way or another. I think I have a sister mag to Mobs and Gangs, a few issues of Crime Does Not Pay, and not the old Lev Gleason/ Bob Wood funnybook!!!

You recall what the sister mag is? I've got four issues of Mobs and Gangs, all highly tradeable.

I'm familiar with Crime Does Not Pay but don't think I have any.  Comic book style torture covers with bloody gang content?

We can go way back with gangsploitation.  I'm hunting this one in a decent enough copy to get a scan of.  I'm doing some research in Fawcett mags (Capt. Billy's, Popular Mechanix, True Confessions, Smokehouse Monthly, Triple X and it keeps going from there), so it's like a key or something.  A one shot from 1931 peddling bloody gang killing photos, this is from a poster or something not a raw mag image.

AlCaponeOntheSpot(1931.Fawcett)LowresfromPoster.png.80f2cdfb80649fe1f6ed060303266d26.png

It sold so well, one of the brothers remembered it when being interviewed about the companies golden age comics years and years later as a huge money maker.