• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd Annual Grading Contest Final Round (Results are In)
8 8

185 posts in this topic

Thank you @William-James88 I had a heap of fun, even though I tied for last. I learned a lot, and had a great time. Congratulations to the winners! 

Ok, so both @Croatbag and @Funnybooks got back to me about the original grade of that DD 168. 

They said it was originally a 9.2.

Well, here is the original slab:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F1%2F1%2F6%2F1%2F21161619%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

So, it's a tie to the very end. Congrats on the two winners. Please let me/us know which prize between the two you prefer.

One is a vintage comic from @SNiPER and the other is $25 from @grendelbo

On 1/24/2022 at 9:35 AM, William-James88 said:

Ok, so both @Croatbag and @Funnybooks got back to me about the original grade of that DD 168. 

They said it was originally a 9.2.

Well, here is the original slab:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F1%2F1%2F6%2F1%2F21161619%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

So, it's a tie to the very end. Congrats on the two winners. Please let me/us know which prize between the two you prefer.

One is a vintage comic from @SNiPER and the other is $25 from @grendelbo

we should continue on?

nothing got resolved...

On 1/23/2022 at 2:02 PM, Point Five said:

Yeah, this one was probably the biggest surprise to me. I can see the rest of the book is lovely, but in broad strokes I would have thought rust migration was enough to take a high grade to a midgrade.

I thought I really gift graded it myself and my gut was because of the staple rust stains it would end up being in the 5.5/6.0 range.  Clearly CGC did not agree with me. lol

On 1/24/2022 at 1:00 PM, William-James88 said:

You're the one giving the prize, this is a sensible idea.

What do @Funnybooks and @Croatbag think?

On 1/24/2022 at 12:51 PM, SNiPER said:

Maybe next time the tie breaker should go to the one with most bulls, if same then most one grade off, two grades off, etc.

winner gets first choice.

sounds good for next time

this time...send all the prizes to @Croatbag...thank you

I appreciate all the time, effort and prizes from everyone

On 1/24/2022 at 1:46 PM, Croatbag said:

@Funnybooks Thank you! @William-James88 Thank you for running the contest was alot of fun and more importantly helpful for us all to practice.

It was a pleasure running this. Thanks to all who participated and had fun.

Also, with the results done, we can discuss which books we found tricky, what made sense and what didn't. And I will post the same books in CGC cases when they arrive.

On 1/24/2022 at 2:34 PM, William-James88 said:

It was a pleasure running this. Thanks to all who participated and had fun.

Also, with the results done, we can discuss which books we found tricky, what made sense and what didn't. And I will post the same books in CGC cases when they arrive.

suggestion...relist pic for each book in chronological order one and at a time and we can discuss?