• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your D&D OA
4 4

245 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2023 at 11:29 AM, comix4fun said:

Damn. I wish.....
I wouldn't have had those college tuitions to cover. 
MOAR D&D instead!!

D&D wasn't having the moment it is now when my kids were small enough to want to play... am jealous of Travis Charest, who (based on some Twitter posts) appears to be the dungeonmaster for his kids games... still remember playing D&D on a friend's ping pong table (was the only table in his basement) and waiting in dread to find out what was down the next passage or behind that barred door...

On 7/7/2023 at 10:35 AM, KirbyCollector said:

D&D wasn't having the moment it is now when my kids were small enough to want to play... am jealous of Travis Charest, who (based on some Twitter posts) appears to be the dungeonmaster for his kids games... still remember playing D&D on a friend's ping pong table (was the only table in his basement) and waiting in dread to find out what was down the next passage or behind that barred door...

Agree. I had all this stuff but my kids didn't have their friends interested in playing and so they weren't interested in playing. Now they are adults and REALLY have no interest in playing anything with dad.
Back in the late 70's/early 80's we had a group that met at the local public library and they let us use one of the private rooms in the back to play. The game was everywhere back then. I still remember the gaming store at the local mall was always packed after school. 

It was easier to amass a large collection of items from D&D even 5 years ago before everyone "rediscovered" it. I bought a short box of sealed modules from Dragon Lance and earlier at Heroes Con around  2012-2014 for $1 a piece. People are throwing $100-300 each at them in shrink wrap today. "Collect for Fun" went out the window on that hobby sector too. 

On 7/7/2023 at 9:42 AM, comix4fun said:

Agree. I had all this stuff but my kids didn't have their friends interested in playing and so they weren't interested in playing. Now they are adults and REALLY have no interest in playing anything with dad.
Back in the late 70's/early 80's we had a group that met at the local public library and they let us use one of the private rooms in the back to play. The game was everywhere back then. I still remember the gaming store at the local mall was always packed after school. 

It was easier to amass a large collection of items from D&D even 5 years ago before everyone "rediscovered" it. I bought a short box of sealed modules from Dragon Lance and earlier at Heroes Con around  2012-2014 for $1 a piece. People are throwing $100-300 each at them in shrink wrap today. "Collect for Fun" went out the window on that hobby sector too. 

I started playing in High School, First with my older brother and then with friends.  We played before school in the library, lunch time in the library and then Friday and Saturday nights at various homes.  T1 and the G modules were may favorites.

On 7/7/2023 at 10:27 AM, delekkerste said:

Yeah, but do any of you nerds have THIS rarity?!! 

image.thumb.png.23be9938599840868e2e4ae7504a3065.png

This may very well be the only surviving copy in existence!!

As I look at that more carefully, it looks like Napoleon Dynamite drew the cover artwork.

On 7/7/2023 at 12:39 AM, cstojano said:

The same seems to be the case for games (Bronty?). I would think Atari would be cream of the crop, the original art but also the sealed games. But it seems to be NES that holds that spot. Its like the 80s got passed over somewhat. The same may be the case with fantasy except for the absolute best of the best.

I don't think its a clean comparison.    Atari is a little more like Fawcett, to compare it to comics.    It was the most popular at one time, but it didn't last long and doesn't put out new product today.    

In addition, the top end hobby money is understandably in sealed product, but atari has strange scarcity dynamics that make collecting sealed atari a bit of an odd duck.     You want it to be a challenge to find stuff, but not strictly impossible.    Atari is often either ridiculously common sealed due to the way the company went down with millions of units of unsold inventory (including the titles everyone remembers) or just not available at all.    So if you were to plot the scarcity distribution between 0 and 10 you'd have a cluster around 0, and a cluster around 10.    That's no fun for collecting.   So to compare it to comics in sealed scarcity terms, everything is either Motion Picture Funnies Weekly or X-Force 1.

So what are you left with?   A defunct publisher with product that is either worthless or can't be found.    There's not much to work with there.

Edited by Bronty

On 7/7/2023 at 4:32 PM, Bronty said:

I don't think its a clean comparison.    Atari is a little more like Fawcett, to compare it to comics.    It was the most popular at one time, but it didn't last long and doesn't put out new product today.    

In addition, the top end hobby money is understandably in sealed product, but atari has strange scarcity dynamics that make collecting sealed atari a bit of an odd duck.     You want it to be a challenge to find stuff, but not strictly impossible.    Atari is often either ridiculously common sealed due to the way the company went down with millions of units of unsold inventory (including the titles everyone remembers) or just not available at all.    So if you were to plot the scarcity distribution between 0 and 10 you'd have a cluster around 0, and a cluster around 10.    That's no fun for collecting.   So to compare it to comics in sealed scarcity terms, everything is either Motion Picture Funnies Weekly or X-Force 1.

So what are you left with?   A defunct publisher with product that is either worthless or can't be found.    There's not much to work with there.

It was too fast of a rise before it went into the crater, exactly. 

So, while MASSIVE in popularity, which led to HUGE overruns on printing for a couple of years and then into the abyss. 
It's like collecting albums in that way. The most popular are printed in the millions but you can find collectibles among early pressings, or odd titles. 

Thanks for the perspectives on Atari, very interesting to read. I remember Atari just being the THING when I was kid before the entire industry imploded. I was too old when Nintendo revived it and never played a game on that system. 

The tribute acts abound.  

Ok, this series of issues might just be ageing the guys OniPress, but they did go to town on this idea.   

image.thumb.png.c0661ac6a01a9d9d013fb1866ba03572.png

From the level of detail they put in, they stuck the landing pretty good.   No token foray of neat covers.

image.thumb.png.2a8caa838f7887ce7e0e4c6dc80e395d.png

On 7/8/2023 at 5:32 AM, Bronty said:

So if you were to plot the scarcity distribution between 0 and 10 you'd have a cluster around 0, and a cluster around 10.    That's no fun for collecting.

Great analysis.  This is exactly why I've never had any interest in collecting ECs, because the Gaines file copies totally distorted the normal dynamics of GA high grade collecting.  It's no fun collecting GA when everything is a 9.4-9.8 (and sometimes 9.9).  You might as well be collecting BA.  

On 7/7/2023 at 11:47 PM, batman_fan said:
On 7/7/2023 at 11:42 PM, comix4fun said:

I started playing in High School, First with my older brother and then with friends.  We played before school in the library, lunch time in the library and then Friday and Saturday nights at various homes.  T1 and the G modules were may favorites.

Did most people here play with modules from TSR?  My friends and I never played with modules.  Quite frankly, they were all inferior to the games we would come up with ourselves.  

On 7/7/2023 at 10:47 PM, tth2 said:

Did most people here play with modules from TSR?  My friends and I never played with modules.  Quite frankly, they were all inferior to the games we would come up with ourselves.  

Our groups played almost entirely modules. At first we’d follow them closely. Then, when TSR added all those creatures, gods and monsters from their hardcover books, we’d add those into the games.  

On 7/7/2023 at 10:47 PM, tth2 said:

This is what we did mostly.  I think a large amount of the fun for the DM was being able to come up with a story and challenge for the players.  @Hamlet was particularly good at it when we were kids.  (thumbsu

On 7/7/2023 at 9:47 PM, tth2 said:

We played a mixture.  I would say most of the ones people created weren't too good.

On 7/7/2023 at 11:47 AM, batman_fan said:

Damn you had a regular Hellfire Club going!

On 7/7/2023 at 12:27 PM, delekkerste said:

Yeah, but do any of you nerds have THIS rarity?!! 

image.thumb.png.23be9938599840868e2e4ae7504a3065.png

This may very well be the only surviving copy in existence!!

Pretty great that you still have that. 

On 7/7/2023 at 11:42 AM, comix4fun said:

I only played D&D exactly twice with the one friend I had who played, but 100-300 still seems reasonable to me.