• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM #1
3 3

22 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2022 at 3:52 PM, grendelbo said:

It looks a whole lot like this book.

768CD2B3-CF96-407F-AC49-53B1294EC2E6.thumb.jpeg.489aa91de41bc5a3df7ab8ca128cd7df.jpeg.296fbb82e498d62c722195ecbb080e4f.jpeg

The Marvel Chipping on your copy looks more severe than in the example though.

4.5 after a press.

Thanks for sharing.

how do you tell difference between marvel chipping and damage by a rodent or insects? I thought the later was the case and with other defects was going to give a 3.0. If production defect then this could be 4.5

On 1/25/2022 at 8:09 PM, Bayowolf said:

how do you tell difference between marvel chipping and damage by a rodent or insects? I thought the later was the case and with other defects was going to give a 3.0. If production defect then this could be 4.5

I'm just a grader by hobby but when I see a Marvel book pre-1963 with edge damage like this, I assume Marvel Chipping. Chews will look like chews whereas this looks like flaking that was exacerbated over time.

Your not entirely off base though. Some would say a flaw's a flaw, production-related or not. A 3.0 may be more accurate, but in PGM I'm trying to grade according to CGC's standards. They've been elevated to the standard and I acquiesce.

I'm with most. If that chipping is a production defect, then I'd say it's a 4.5. If not, I'd give it a 3.0. The 5.0 that grendelbo posted has white pages, and while it's hard to tell the spine on the 5.0 looks much stronger. But even at a 3.0, this is obviously a phenomenal book. Congrats!