• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is the Killing Joke such a key comic?
2 2

79 posts in this topic

It is an odd book, two great creators but Bolland excels whereas Moore lays a bit of an egg.

On 1/21/2022 at 4:46 PM, The Meta said:

I hardly know anything about DC but know this is the book where Batgirl is shot and is paralyzed 

Spoiler

it is also the book where Batman kills The Joker, but no one cares about that part (since it is off camera as it were and ambiguous).

On 1/21/2022 at 3:03 PM, Bird said:

It is an odd book, two great creators but Bolland excels whereas Moore lays a bit of an egg.

Hide contents

it is also the book where Batman kills The Joker, but no one cares about that part (since it is off camera as it were and ambiguous).

See, I didn’t even know that. 

I know the movies and video games better than the comics. So don't understand how the Joker could have been killed when he's still fighting Batman, but Oracle is paralyzed 

On 1/21/2022 at 5:06 PM, The Meta said:

See, I didn’t even know that. 

I know the movies and video games better than the comics. So don't understand how the Joker could have been killed when he's still fighting Batman, but Oracle is paralyzed 

well, is was written out of continuity and later stuck in. And what I said is ambiguous, the artist has stated it but until Alan Moore says it decisively it is moot. I think it is generally accepted (otherwise what does the title mean?) but not too many care.

The book has GREAT art with a great cover written by probably the best modern comics writer (and perhaps the best ever comics writer).

Spoiler

It features Batman and Joker and Barbara gets sexually assaulted (maybe raped, but definitely more than just shot) by Joker. sends photos to dear old Dad I believe. so...it has that goin' for it

Think the lasting legacy of the  book is the fleshing out of the origin story of the Joker which serves as a counterpoint to Bruce Wayne's own journey to becoming the Batman. For me, the Killing Joke is all about the Joker, his motivations and psyche are all laid bare. One embraces the joke and wants everyone else to see the absurdity of it all, while the other is always fighting to.keep it at bay though deep down he probably knows the joke too. Im probably overeaching here but both of them sharing a laugh at the end before Joker dies is maybe Batman letting Joker know he understand the joke too. There is no turning  back for either of them. In the end one has to die. And this is explicitly concluded in DKR with no ambiguity. 

On 1/21/2022 at 7:38 PM, KCode98 said:

Sounds like this might be the first Batman book I read in my life. I'm intrigued by the ending where they share a laugh. Seems like this one might be a long lasting key too.

Key story most certainly. But a huge census population book in 9.8+, being DC that very much matters.  Prices did pandemic spike but that was "normal". Due to the spike expect the population continue to increase by leaps 'n' bounds. Most collectors have multiple copies of this this book in 9.8.  I know of at least 2 dealers sitting on long boxes (plural) full of untouched copies of the 1st print.   Everyone back in the day purchased several copies, including me.  I'd be very, very, very wary of buying it at even 60% of current prices if I was someone who was looking to make a profit on comics, which I'm not.

As for me "Jungle Line" DC Comics Presents 85 is my favorite standalone Moore 1980's stand alone story. "Killing Joke" for me ranks 3rd after  "For the Man Who Has Everything" in Superman Annual 11

Edited by MAR1979

Sounds like this might be the first Batman book I read in my life.

I’ve never been a DC person and am not a Batman expert but Batman is one character I will always try to read. Even in the mess that was the New 52, Snyder’s Batman run was great. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 1/21/2022 at 8:10 PM, MAR1979 said:

Key story most certainly. But a huge census population book in 9.8+, being DC that very much matters.  Prices did pandemic spike but that was "normal". Due to the spike expect the population continue to increase by leaps 'n' bounds. Most collectors have multiple copies of this this book in 9.8.  I know of at least 2 dealers sitting on long boxes (plural) full of untouched copies of the 1st print.   Everyone back in the day purchased several copies, including me.  I'd be very, very, very wary of buying it at even 60% of current prices if I was someone who was looking to make a profit on comics, which I'm not.

As for me "Jungle Line" DC Comics Presents 85 is my favorite standalone Moore 1980's stand alone story. "Killing Joke" for me ranks 3rd after  "For the Man Who Has Everything" in Superman Annual 11

Thanks for that information, maybe I will pass on it as they are reaching $300 now.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:10 PM, MAR1979 said:

On 1/21/2022 at 8:13 PM, KCode98 said:

Thanks for that information, maybe I will pass on it as they are reaching $300 now.

This came out shortly before I started managing an LCS.  We had ordered heavily (like most shops) and despite the hype, after the initial buyers all got their copies, it sat there with no interest.  Practically couldn't give it away.  I think we had like 50 pristine copies in a box in back for the whole time I worked there and never sold one.

A very common book.

Sounds like this might be the first Batman book I read in my life. I'm intrigued by the ending where they share a laugh. Seems like this one might be a long lasting key too.

It’s a good story (not Moore’s work by any stretch).  The art is absolutely fantastic.  Some of the best you’ll ever see.  It’s worth a read, but not there are many other better Batman books:

The Dark Knight Returns
The classic Frank Miller tale of an aged Bruce Wayne coming out of retirement to defend a crumbling Gotham (and society).

The Long Halloween

Batman’s detective skills are put to the test as he tries to learn the identity of they mysterious and deadly Holiday killer.  Is it one of his arch enemies (they’re all in here) or a new menace?  Wonderful art by Tim Sale.  

Batman: Mad Love

The origin of Harley Quinn is at the center of this Paul Dino/Bruce Timm story set in the Batman The Animated Series world.  A classic Batman vs Joker.  I liked it better than KJ.

On 1/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, MAR1979 said:

hey thanks for the heads up not only on this moore story but the Killing Joke warning. Makes sense.

Looks like Dc comics present is collected in me Moore Superman stories Omnibus. Thanks. Never read it

Edited by NoMan

On 1/22/2022 at 9:24 AM, NoMan said:

favorite standalone Moore 1980's stand alone story.

that is a lot of qualifiers!

For The Man of Tomorrow isn't better than KJ? (shrug)

I love Wildstorm Spotlight Featuring Majestic. it is a wonderful wonderful story. 1997 and really one of the great single issue comics I have ever read.

Swamp Thing 38 is a standalone story as well. Still gives me chills all these years later.