• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a mistake or fraud?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Hi all, brand new here so hope to get your help.   I just purchased what I believe to be a marvel Collectable classic signed edition of a chromium reprint of the 1990 Spider-Man “torment” #1 issue.   However the actual rating of 9.8 by CGC says it’s a reprint of Amazing Spiderman 300.  

A.) Is this a mistake by CGC?

B.) This really is a reprint of Spider-Man 300 but with the cover art of Spider-Man #1 1990 edition ?

c.) this is a fraud, someone put the book in a case belonging to a spiderman-300 reprint?

D9E695D5-8483-406F-A000-91908BE1987C.jpeg

The first thing I would do is look on eBay to see if there are any other graded books similar to the one I have and see what the labels say.

If you haven’t solved it after that, next literally just Google the book and see if there’s any info on the internet that will tell me about the interior contents of the book. 

After that, maybe shoot Cgc an email about your concerns and see if they can help clarify.  

On 1/22/2022 at 8:42 PM, revat said:

After that, maybe shoot Cgc an email about your concerns and see if they can help clarify.  

Not sure if the people who get the info wrong are the best people to go to for info.  ;)

On 1/25/2022 at 4:33 PM, Sigur Ros said:
On 1/22/2022 at 5:42 PM, revat said:

Not sure if the people who get the info wrong are the best people to go to for info.  ;)

but if there is an error you'll be contacting them anyway to fix it.  So there's a chance to just go there one time, resolve everything, never look anything up, never search on the internet for a forum, create an account, ask a bunch of random strangers for their opinions which you may or may not trust.  

The way I see it, the OP just picked the hardest, least reliable route.  I can't imagine why anyone would look for a comic forum, create an account, ask a bunch strangers a question waiting for an answer that may or may not ever come BEFORE LOOKING IT UP ON THE INTERNET, or CONTACTING THE SPECIFIC SERVICE PROVIDER with whom they may have an issue.  I understand that people might be newbies with regards to comics or CGC, are they newbs with regards to ASKING QUESTIONS or solving things for themselves?  

Edited by revat

Do call CGC about it.

I used the Cert# to look up the grader notes. They state:

CGC Cert #1051320001

Art Comments: Todd McFarlane cover

Key Comments: Reprints Spider-Man #1 Chromium cover.

Edited by PovertyRow

On 1/26/2022 at 3:14 AM, PovertyRow said:

Do call CGC about it.

I used the Cert# to look up the grader notes. They state:

CGC Cert #1051320001

Art Comments: Todd McFarlane cover

Key Comments: Reprints Spider-Man #1 Chromium cover.

Interesting,  so the cert info does not match the label. 

By the way, am I the only one who just wanted to simply reply "it's fraud" for the hell of it?

On 1/27/2022 at 11:17 PM, PovertyRow said:

Why would you want to do that "for the hell of it?' ??? (tsk)

cause the idea of fake or fraudulent slabs comes up so damn often by newbies and the paranoia makes no sense. Like this damn book, who would go through the trouble to pull a fraud for this random spidey torment book?

Edited by William-James88

On 1/27/2022 at 11:55 PM, William-James88 said:

cause the idea of fake or fraudulent slabs comes up so damn often by newbies and the paranoia makes no sense. Like this damn book, who would go through the trouble to pull a fraud for this random spidey torment book?

Because....illuminati....and aliens...government mandates man! 

(puts tinfoil hat back on and dives into bunker)

Oh and to answer the question in 1000% seriousness, CGC made an error on the label. The number on the case shows the book is legit and issue #2 does of this Marvel Collectible Classics does reprint that Spider-Man #1 McFarlane did. Whoever owns or is selling this has an error on their label, perhaps even they did not catch. 

On 1/27/2022 at 8:55 PM, William-James88 said:

Damn!

On 1/28/2022 at 9:19 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Oh and to answer the question in 1000% seriousness, CGC made an error on the label. The number on the case shows the book is legit and issue #2 does of this Marvel Collectible Classics does reprint that Spider-Man #1 McFarlane did. Whoever owns or is selling this has an error on their label, perhaps even they did not catch. 

I will take this one extra step, does the mistake even matter? I have definitely been culprit of asking CGC to change the labelling when it was inaccurate or irrelevant (like Batman 357 or Solar 10) but that's a change that would impact all books going forward and probably impact the secondary market when it comes to label chasers. But here, I highly doubt that what is inside the book matters. Does it being a reprint of ASM 300 or ASM 1 make a difference to anyone?

Well, now that I think of it, I think it would matter in terms of tying the book directly with the sigs on it. You know what, never mind, CGC should correct this, it's a cool collectible that merges the old with the new and it would be nice to have the label reflect this.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:17 AM, William-James88 said:

Well, now that I think of it, I think it would matter in terms of tying the book directly with the sigs on it. You know what, never mind, CGC should correct this, it's a cool collectible that merges the old with the new and it would be nice to have the label reflect this.

Just what I was thinking. It should be corrected. It is not all about $$$ but just accuracy, especially opnsidering what we pay and how long we have to wait for books to be graded.

I WILL mention one thing though, when someone asks something like "why would anyone try restoring a junk book like this Princess of Gem World #3?" (or similar) My standard answer to that is "Practice". That would be my answer as to why someone would try to muck with a slab/label or a lesser book...practice.

But in this case it DOES seem like a simple error by CGC that they should be made aware of. Thanks for the measured and considered response! (thumbsu