• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your preference for pressing temperature and time
5 5

83 posts in this topic

I’m interested because some people use 140 F and others 175 F and some of the t-shirt machines only go as low as 200 F.

so for example one said 175 F for 25 seconds leave for 6 hours and they use 1 aluminium plate plus boards and Teflon 

another has 140 F for 5 minutes they use 2 aluminium plates and Teflon 

and this one I haven’t seen a video but it said about 200 for 25 minutes and leave overnight I’m assuming they use boards and or Teflon 

These are all so varied, what is the best?

On 1/25/2022 at 5:48 AM, 815K1 said:

I’m interested because some people use 140 F and others 175 F and some of the t-shirt machines only go as low as 200 F.

so for example one said 175 F for 25 seconds leave for 6 hours and they use 1 aluminium plate plus boards and Teflon 

another has 140 F for 5 minutes they use 2 aluminium plates and Teflon 

and this one I haven’t seen a video but it said about 200 for 25 minutes and leave overnight I’m assuming they use boards and or Teflon 

These are all so varied, what is the best?

What's the best?  

Nothing you've listed here is the best.  Take everything you've "learned" online and scrap it, start from scratch and do trail and error, submit books and read the graders notes and decide if you're happy with what you are getting back and what you can improve on.  For example "Grader notes : Pebbling.  Lesson learned...Using the wrong equipment.   Rinse and repeat.  That's how I learned.   

On 1/25/2022 at 7:45 PM, joeypost said:

If you really want to learn, learn through trial and error. Put the time in and don’t be lazy. While most techniques that are shared online are shortcuts and sheer stupidity, there are a few gems of wisdom there. 

On 1/31/2022 at 5:45 PM, Kevin76 said:

What's the best?  

Nothing you've listed here is the best.  Take everything you've "learned" online and scrap it, start from scratch and do trail and error, submit books and read the graders notes and decide if you're happy with what you are getting back and what you can improve on.  For example "Grader notes : Pebbling.  Lesson learned...Using the wrong equipment.   Rinse and repeat.  That's how I learned.   

Yes, sure.  But also, one who has already gone through this trial and error stage could choose to share their learned wisdom.  That is a thing that one could do.

That is, I gather, what some of these youtube people are doing, but the different people are also giving out wildly differing advise as to how to do it, leading to the confusion.  

I do appreciate that someone who has put in the time and effort to learn proper technique might not want to simply give away their valuable learned wisdom for free, especially a professional. 

I also appreciate that different books, of different eras, with different defects may require different techniques.   So there isn't going to be a "one size fits all" answer.  

But it's not a silly question to ask.  

On 2/2/2022 at 8:03 PM, joeypost said:

So…you want the diploma without taking the classes?

Everybody wants to know the what and the how and think once they have it, they'll be just as good.  What they don't know is that the why is the most important thing and that takes a lot of practice.

Someone once asked Will Rogers how he got to have such good judgement.  He thought about for a second and said "Well, good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."

On 2/2/2022 at 9:17 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Everybody wants to know the what and the how and think once they have it, they'll be just as good.  What they don't know is that the why is the most important thing and that takes a lot of practice.

Someone once asked Will Rogers how he got to have such good judgement.  He thought about for a second and said "Well, good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."

What makes someone an expert? 10,000 hours? I know people in their 60’s who aren’t experts at life yet. It’s a combination of factors, and taking shortcuts is not one of them.