• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your preference for pressing temperature and time
5 5

83 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2022 at 7:32 AM, Stronguy said:

Try that with a modern (which is the vast majority of what new pressers work on) and you're in trouble.  You likely know that, I know that, Joe knows that... and everyone else who has made a placemat knows that.  The difference is, we know from experience, and we know why it happens.  99% of the folks who start out with, "Tell me what kind of press to use.  Tell me what temperature to use.  Tell me how long to... ", will likely never know how to roll with the punches when something doesn't go right.  They have approached it from the perspective of being handed a formula to mimic rather than from learning and understanding.

I agree. If someone wants to press, then there isn't just one answer to how, and how much of this or that. Also, todays expectations isn't making the book better, it's perfect results or bust. You don't get to perfect until you have put in the time. It is not as easy as it seems, I have trained several people to work for HRC, and not all make the cut. Give them too much data and they get overwhelmed.

As far as getting some shoving around, that's part of the initiation. These days the boards are very tame, back in 09 I took a genuine beating on all fronts, most collectors poo poo on pressing and restoration. If you have the passion, endure it, if you don't, then maybe it's not going to be your thing.

I am not much for sharing how too, but I will try to provide the "DO NOTS" for the sake of the books. Do not press with a press that can't go down as low as 130, and never, never, never press a book at 200. While 165 might be almost the mean over many presses, it doesn't imply your going to get the desired reaction using that temp on every book.

One more do not and then I have to get back to pressing. It's tempting to press key book while your learning, DO NOT! Some mistakes cannot be undone, most paper doesn't like it when you use an excessive amount of any of the factors involved in pressing. Less is more.....

Oh, and my 2 cents is to have an experienced presser press your books, your not saving money if the results aren't as thorough as a pro presses. :wink:

Pressing books is like combinations to a padlock.  You have to spin your options to get that lock to open.  Once you've put the time in to cycle through the options, pressing books at room temperature which is cold pressing and temps in an excess of 200 at times can all equal high quality results.   If you don't understand what type of padlock your working with, or you don't understand the options, you will have a difficult time getting that lock to open.    

On 2/10/2022 at 2:42 PM, Topnotchman said:

Pressing books is like combinations to a padlock.  You have to spin your options to get that lock to open.  Once you've put the time in to cycle through the options, pressing books at room temperature which is cold pressing and temps in an excess of 200 at times can all equal high quality results.   If you don't understand what type of padlock your working with, or you don't understand the options, you will have a difficult time getting that lock to open.    

Results at the expense of the paper isn't right. If your pressing at excess of 200, you are not cracking the combination code, your breaking into the safe with brut force. No book needs that temperature to get results, unless you don't know what you are doing. 

Nuff said

On 2/10/2022 at 10:46 PM, Hero Restoration said:

Results at the expense of the paper isn't right. If your pressing at excess of 200, you are not cracking the combination code, your breaking into the safe with brut force. No book needs that temperature to get results, unless you don't know what you are doing. 

Nuff said

I didn’t ask for your advice but there is a certain problem that can be fixed at that  range.  I can press at room temperature also as that’s the quickest way to fix certain problems to.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:46 PM, Hero Restoration said:

Nuff said

I like to get my presses up to a steamy 212 degrees so the moisture just boils of.  It makes my workroom like a nice sauna.

On 2/11/2022 at 7:35 AM, Stronguy said:

I like to get my presses up to a steamy 212 degrees so the moisture just boils of.  It makes my workroom like a nice sauna.

If you think that works well, you really should try Fahrenheit 451!  :roflmao:  Famous book/movie on the temperature at which books catch fire and burn!  So anything 450 and below should be just fine and get you max results.  LOL

On 2/16/2022 at 12:32 PM, TC33 said:

If you think that works well, you really should try Fahrenheit 451!  :roflmao:  Famous book/movie on the temperature at which books catch fire and burn!  So anything 450 and below should be just fine and get you max results.  LOL

Shows what you know.  I take mine to 1000 because I press so tight there's no oxygen present for combustion.  It also take a week for the press to cool down.

Edited by Stronguy

You can have people tell you how to press, temp set, length of time to press, what press to get ect... It's like when I was in printing, Most anyone can learn how to pull up a web offset heatset printing press and get it to print, but when you run into a problem, what are you gonna do to fix it?  That just comes from experience and things you discover on your own like an overhang that curled over the pages, or a corner that won't straighten out, What do you do to fix it? (shrug)   What do you do when you've got 300 books to press?  You think leaving the book in the press for 12 hours over night is gonna get it all done?  Of course not.  This is where "putting your time in" comes in.  

On 2/10/2022 at 1:32 AM, Stronguy said:

difference is, we know from experience,

I didn’t ask for the formula I just wanted to know why such variables in how people press and where I should start. Thanks for your experienced explanation.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:45 AM, joeypost said:

gems of wisdom

I know there’s examples for all different types of books. That doesn’t mean I will get the same result. If you can provide a gem 💎 of wisdom, where do you get a lot of books to practice with?

On 2/24/2022 at 5:08 AM, 815K1 said:

I know there’s examples for all different types of books. That doesn’t mean I will get the same result. If you can provide a gem 💎 of wisdom, where do you get a lot of books to practice with?

People send me books. Over the last 16 years the number is over 300,000. 

Just buy bulk comics off of FB marketplace, your local comic store, flea markets,,,anywhere you can buy bulk books for 50 cents-$1 each 

If you really think about it, you can practice over and over again with the same book. 

On 2/24/2022 at 6:55 AM, joeypost said:
On 2/24/2022 at 3:08 AM, 815K1 said:

People send me books. Over the last 16 years the number is over 300,000. 

And we thank Greggy for sending in the first 100,000 that you practiced on so the rest of us can benefit. 

On 2/24/2022 at 1:00 PM, joeypost said:
On 2/24/2022 at 11:53 AM, kimik said:

And we thank Greggy for sending in the first 100,000 that you practiced on so the rest of us can benefit. 

Thats pretty close to the truth. 

Good. I hope you learned not to use the release paper that leaves the checkerboard/waffle pattern on the books with all of his submissions. lol 

Let's just say I have seen books from other pressers/pressing services that had/still have those issues.