• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulitzer Prize Winning Maus Censored By Tennessee School District
6 6

144 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2022 at 1:59 PM, manetteska said:

Per the article, the book was banned "after officials objected to eight instances of profanity and an image of a nude woman".

Take from that what you will.

What probably did it was one of six panels (one sixth of a page) from the Prisoner of the Hell Planet sequence which shows Art's thoughts about his mother's suicide in a bath (it has the "nude" and the "bad word").  I think 8th graders should be able to handle it::

Pin on Research stuff 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 1/27/2022 at 8:58 AM, sfcityduck said:

For context:  My graded copies of the first Maus prototype and the first appearance of any portion of Maus - Prisoner on the Hell Planet - which featured the illustration of Art's dead nude mother (suicide) that is being cited as a reason for the work being unsuitable for an 8th grader:

345438199_IMG_1160(004).thumb.jpg.087321e6e1daa7a1336a96a0d368931a.jpg

wow I have those books didnt realize funny aminals was worth anything.

On 1/27/2022 at 1:29 PM, Ken Aldred said:

It’s important to teach younger generations about the atrocities, especially now that the people that lived it are dying off, and it’s easy to see repetition once the population has no direct physical or psychological connection to such events. Question is, at what age is it appropriate to expose kids to explicit details of the Holocaust?  Maus is a brilliant and powerful work, but still a little sanitised compared to what is seen and discussed in TV and film documentaries.

At the same age in Church of England primary school I was allowed to read fairy tale books that were the original versions with extremely gory illustrations, far worse than Maus, and it calls into question censorship of a work such as this, which, despite the occasional dark scene, is still a less extreme introduction to a reality that shouldn’t be forgotten.

I read maus when I was 13 and just look what happened to me!

On 1/27/2022 at 5:20 PM, valiantman said:

The reality of the 21st century is that nothing can be banned like in the 20th century.  If your school bans Maus, just Google it. The irony is that Maus would not be in the headlines right now, if not for the banning.  So, instead of keeping children from finding Maus, the school board shoves it into everyone's news feed.  Google answers all the questions immediately.

The best way to bring attention to something is to tell people they can't have it.

maus_20220127.thumb.png.8b0fe689d172308ddaeba27f23e33b7e.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

YES!!!
every mom should know if you forbid your teen daughter from seeing some guy she will cling to that guy like crazy!!  
Forbidden guy" "Thx mom!"

This is just not right. I'm highly satisfied that they've made Maus subject to the Streisand Effect though. Well done chaps!