• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Round 1
13 13

280 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2022 at 9:51 PM, JollyComics said:

@CGC Mike

Sorry to bug you again.

How did they get 11 or more points (those contenders got 11 to 28 points)?   I thought 10 points was the worst.  How did you give them 73 points each for not submitting the grades?  

It’s 1 point for each grade increment that you’re off. 
if a book is a 2.0, and you guessed 7.5, you’re off by 11 points, just for that one book. 
it can add up fast 

• Administrator
On 2/10/2022 at 9:55 PM, thirdgreenham said:
On 2/10/2022 at 9:51 PM, JollyComics said:

@CGC Mike

Sorry to bug you again.

How did they get 11 or more points (those contenders got 11 to 28 points)?   I thought 10 points was the worst.  How did you give them 73 points each for not submitting the grades?  

if a book is a 2.0, and you guessed 7.5, you’re off by 11 points, just for that one book. 
it can add up fast 

Yep, Andy is right.  I should add, that I didn't dish out the points. The spreadsheet did.  I don't fully understand how it works but, I am learning.  

On 2/10/2022 at 9:57 PM, CGC Mike said:

Yep, Andy is right.  I should add, that I didn't dish out the points. The spreadsheet did.  I don't fully understand how it works but, I am learning.  

it seems like assigned grades of 0.0 would get you close to those 73 points. I guesstimated it, close enough that I assume that is where it came from.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:55 PM, thirdgreenham said:

it can add up fast 

That is pretty clear to me.

Based on my calculation if I am correct:

Rex Dexter of Mars #1  -  1.5  (0 point)

Lawbreakers Suspense Stories #11  - 7.5 (2 grades over = 2 points)

Action Comics #242  -  5.0 (1 grade over = 1 point)

Scooby Doo #1  - 8.0 - (2 grades over = 2 points)

Amazing Spider-Man #300  - 9.4 (1 grade over = 1 point)

The total points are 6 points.

• Administrator
On 2/10/2022 at 10:01 PM, Bird said:

it seems like assigned grades of 0.0 would get you close to those 73 points. I guesstimated it, close enough that I assume that is where it came from.

Yeah, I counted on my fingers and came up a little different but, I did go to the doctors today and they knocked me out cold for a few hours.  I'll use that as an excuse.  lol

On 2/10/2022 at 10:25 PM, Pantodude said:

Where do I see my round 2 grade reveal any my results?

Round 2 grade reveal = Page 8 of the thread...

Round 2 results = Tune in tomorrow.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:21 PM, William-James88 said:

Ah, I missed that round 2 was happening, oh well.

Damn!!! Have been at the hospital +Covid!!!! Stupid COVID!!!!!! This stupid pandemic needs to end.... .... I was so looking forward to more rounds too! Damn.... Next time I guess.....

On 2/12/2022 at 11:49 PM, Yingly said:

Damn!!! Have been at the hospital +Covid!!!! Stupid COVID!!!!!! This stupid pandemic needs to end.... .... I was so looking forward to more rounds too! Damn.... Next time I guess.....

Oh man! Feel better soon!  :wishluck:

On 2/12/2022 at 9:49 PM, Yingly said:

Get well. I just got over being sick with it for two weeks. I've had worse illnesses but a foggy head made it tough to reasonably grade.

Hey thanks for including me, I completely missed round two. I was looking for an email or pm and something and didn't understand how this was all being done (despite reading the original PM multiple times). I don't use this a lot so that is on me. The part about not contacting anyone or posting was clear in the message so I just waited instead of reaching out.  I would suggest maybe a using a different format for participating if you do this again.  I was happy with how close my grading was in round 1 at least.  Good luck to the remaining folks!

• Administrator
On 2/14/2022 at 11:58 AM, Stilly’s Cards & Comis said:

Hey thanks for including me, I completely missed round two. I was looking for an email or pm and something and didn't understand how this was all being done (despite reading the original PM multiple times). I don't use this a lot so that is on me. The part about not contacting anyone or posting was clear in the message so I just waited instead of reaching out.  I would suggest maybe a using a different format for participating if you do this again.  I was happy with how close my grading was in round 1 at least.  Good luck to the remaining folks!

Thanks for the feedback.  I will be changing the wording to make it more clear for future contests.  

On 2/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, CGC Mike said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I will be changing the wording to make it more clear for future contests.  

Perhaps including another link to the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" section will help.

• Administrator
On 2/14/2022 at 9:02 PM, thirdgreenham said:
On 2/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, CGC Mike said:

Perhaps including another link to the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" section will help.

I agree, Andy.  I might show them different ways to follow the thread, or they can check the hey buddy can you spare a grade section.  That, in combination with specific time frames for the rounds should help.  They can also check to see which topics I have started in my profile.  There are many ways but, me sending PM reminders for new grading threads and result threads isn't one of them.  

On 2/14/2022 at 9:58 AM, Stilly’s Cards & Comis said:

Yeah, me too. Way too late....

I was too late to join but I thought it would be fun to follow along:

I went - Batman 4 - 4.5, Crime 20 - 3.0, FF 50 - 6.5, SW 1 - 8.5, Turtles - 9.6

So it looks like I would have gotten a 4 first round.

Edited by 1Cool