• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists Who Don’t Generally Sell Their Work?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2022 at 10:55 AM, Peter L said:

What are the circumstances regarding the Year One cover?  I thought it was only one house ad that was ever sold.  

A friend of mine did Mazz a favor. In appreciation, he let my friend get this cover:

Cover to “Batman: Year One” Part 2, David Mazzucchelli, 1987 | Eric Robert  Nolan, Author

Longtime listeners of the podcast can probably fill in the blanks.

On 2/1/2022 at 12:54 PM, Nexus said:

A friend of mine did Mazz a favor. In appreciation, he let my friend get this cover:

Cover to “Batman: Year One” Part 2, David Mazzucchelli, 1987 | Eric Robert  Nolan, Author

Longtime listeners of the podcast can probably fill in the blanks.

That is amazingly generous.  I think I can fill in the blanks.  

On 1/31/2022 at 10:13 PM, TNegovan said:

Jeremy Bastian. There's a piece of his up on eBay now. It takes him forever to do a page of Cursed Pirate Girl, you never see them in the wild.

CPG4p6 on table.jpg

I never got the impression he didn't sell his work. Although there is very little of it, I've seen perhaps 50% pof CPG pages in the wild on various sites over the years. Does he keep pages to himself not to sell? 

On 2/3/2022 at 3:07 PM, jqa3 said:

Yeah, but he pretty much didn't.

Fair enough, I have heard different and that he kept a strong majority of his work especially earlier. But if you were able to pick up some pages from him in the late 70s and developed a relationship with him over the years as a collector, good for you that’s cool. 

Edited by zhamlau

On 2/4/2022 at 11:04 AM, zhamlau said:

Fair enough, I have heard different and that he kept a strong majority of his work especially earlier. But if you were able to pick up some pages from him in the late 70s and developed a relationship with him over the years as a collector, good for you that’s cool. 

I know what Terry has, as I did an appraisal for him.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:27 PM, Shin-Kaiser said:

Phil Noto...?

Phil hasn't sold any of his work ever since he went totally digital, which has gotta be at least 10 years by now.  There are definitely pages floating out there from his analog days, but they are usually from less popular titles.  His style has evolved so much since his analog days, that those earlier pieces really aren't that appealing imo.  With each passing day, more and more digital artists are offering monoprints of their work; artists like Pepe Larraz, RB Silva, Pasqual Ferry, and a bunch of other artists that are repped by Chiaroscuro Studios, Artcoholics, and Essential Sequential.  Nice income supplement there!  It would be cool if Phil ever decides to go that route.

Frank Cho will sell covers, but not his interior pages or strips.  He posted the following to his Instagram late last year.  Frank must be sitting on a minimum of a couple of million $'s there.  I just hope he has the right home insurance policy.

image.png.6160801d9aa68c81581d904aeda52e0b.png

image.png.e4bd303372c3833a86322ee7c5588c2c.png

image.png.ac8789baf5b7c1f8953b38f1a17695f6.png

image.thumb.png.cfa71ec8c3441c764423b31d87b2af5b.png

Edited by modelmaker

On 2/5/2022 at 12:58 AM, modelmaker said:

Frank Cho will sell covers, but not his interior pages or strips.  He posted the following to his Instagram late last year.  Frank must be sitting on a couple of million $'s there.  I just hope he has the right home insurance policy.

image.png.6160801d9aa68c81581d904aeda52e0b.png

image.png.e4bd303372c3833a86322ee7c5588c2c.png

image.png.ac8789baf5b7c1f8953b38f1a17695f6.png

image.thumb.png.cfa71ec8c3441c764423b31d87b2af5b.png

...wow...how cool is that?

On 2/5/2022 at 9:25 AM, SuperBird said:

Not always or not all of it, to the best of my understanding. 

https://www.cbr.com/conversing-on-comics-with-david-aja/

from the article "I used to sketch on computer then print it out on boards and ink it, but right now with Hawkeye I'm doing almost everything digitally." that was ten years ago now though. I had heard here on the boards he was digital so (shrug)

On 2/5/2022 at 9:33 AM, Bird said:

from the article "I used to sketch on computer then print it out on boards and ink it, but right now with Hawkeye I'm doing almost everything digitally." that was ten years ago now though. I had heard here on the boards he was digital so (shrug)

Now he seems to be fully digital, based on his twitter