• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does CGC take almost a year to press and grade 3 modern books while I paid for fast track?
2 2

80 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2022 at 1:59 PM, MAR1979 said:

I want to be wrong as consumers benefit from strong competition but if the books in the CBCS slabs I own will be a difficult lower ROI sale if I ever need to, they why bother with them?

There were some books I wanted that I couldn't find in CGC slabs (or better yet raw) at that given moment. So I bought them in CBCS slabs. They are fine in my collection, the CBSC slabs look nice (except for the cheap label). When comes times to sell (if ever that time will come), I will check the market. Depending on what the market looks like and the magnitude of the premiums, I will either sell them in their CBCS slab, remove and sell them raw or remove and send to CGC. In no scenario do I lose by owning or having bought a CBCS slab.

Edited by William-James88

On 2/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, Lazyboy said:

Okay...

Did you know that the values and prices are in U.S. dollars, too?

If only there were some way to know that...

youreamoron.thumb.jpeg.79033e0c563eea74be7071e584933db4.jpeg

they need to spell out that USD = US Dollars.  Otherwise someone might think they mean University Sausage Demons.  How could one possibly know?

You are correct. It is poor customer service. Do these people not know how to run a business? If your bottleneck is in grading, you do not expand your storage facility so you can store more books. Limit the number of books someone can send in until you get caught up. Have your graders work on weekends.(oh my god). 

On 2/10/2022 at 1:46 PM, MAR1979 said:

P.S with only 2 exceptions, every 9.8 CBCS I've viewed in hand, at least 150, I've easily found they deserved lower grades.

With CGC the thousands of 9.8 CGC's I've viewed in hand I feel that occurs approx 50-60% of the time. Which IMHO is still far too much. Still as mentioned I welcome a paradigm shift.

So you've had 150 CBCS slabs in hand, and only 2 of them were correctly graded (in your opinion).

Is that seriously what you're claiming ?

And of the "thousands" of CGC 9.8s... 50%-60% are overgraded ?   

So the score is 148 vs "thousands".

Edited by Sigur Ros

I've purchased many CBCS books. I do like that they cost me less than CGC, but realize there are reasons for that. Reasons included lower demand, more difficult re-sale, and at one time much more lenient grading.  As an occasional submitter and seller if I going use a grading firm that is considered 2nd best then cost must make it worthwhile. I do not feel yet its in my best interest to do so but am open to what future may bring.

In 2019 I cracked out 9 Silver-Age CBCS graded 9.2 - 9.6 that I paid basically raw prices on and submitted them CGC.   Here's my result breakdown: 3 received same grade from CGC, 5 received lower grade, 1 received higher grade. For sure it it was a small sampling from me. Curious to know what others results here have been doing the same.

Edited by All-Star Squadman

On 2/9/2022 at 11:58 PM, PovertyRow said:

First, if you are going to try to look like some knowledgeable insider, at least learn to spell Steve's name correctly. To say they are not viable competition is totally without basis and totally with prejudice.

Second, if you are going to try to look like some knowledgeable insider, at least be cognizant that there are a ton of CGC "loyalists" who just follow, without any questioning, knowledgeable insiders as to the TPG of choice. Or many with a long history with CGC who do not want that boat rocked.

The level of disinformation and, even worse, the level of insinuation, with absolutely no factual backup, is almost as disgusting  as reading the words "After signername signs the submitted books, CGC will grade and encapsulate them with an estimated turnaround time of six weeks. If CCS pressing is also requested, the turnaround time is estimated at eight weeks. After grading and encapsulation, the collectibles will be shipped back to their owners." on the many emails I got about yet another signing. While my and many others' books lay ignored.

I've seen the ROI's with the competition. They're not viable.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:32 PM, Lord Gemini said:

I've seen the ROI's with the competition. They're not viable.

Yet another undocumented WOM anecdote.  I can cite higher and lower returns. The differences are by NO means extreme. Returns on both reflect excellent ROI.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:31 PM, PovertyRow said:

Yet another undocumented WOM anecdote.  I can cite higher and lower returns. The differences are by NO means extreme. Returns on both reflect excellent ROI.

So you say…without documentation yourself. They certainly look extreme to me, and they look extreme enough to others to keep the competition in CGC’s shadow.

On 2/10/2022 at 6:32 PM, All-Star Squadman said:

In 2019 I cracked out 9 Silver-Age CBCS graded 9.2 - 9.6 that I paid basically raw prices on and submitted them CGC. 

Problem is cracking out, packing, mailing to and unpacking and putting it in the channel by another TPG can easily impact the condition of a book.These are factors that you have not seemed to even consider. Sadly there is absolutely no way to guaranty any book hitting TPG graders in the same condition they were originally sent in. It would also be much more informative to know what the grade differences were. Are we talking 9.4 to 8.0 or more like 9.4 to 9.2?

On 2/10/2022 at 8:40 PM, Lord Gemini said:

So you say…without documentation yourself. They certainly look extreme to me, and they look extreme enough to others to keep the competition in CGC’s shadow.

Most compelling. You just damned your own argument. I will post some results this weekend.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:57 PM, Lord Gemini said:

I really don't care who you are.

Why would you even reply if you don't care?

When I say "who I am" I do not mean my professional status, social status, status in the comic book world etc. Those who know me here get it. It means I can be relentless when challenged, do not quit an argument, take pains tp prove my points, if I say I will do something then I will do it, and can  in general be a pain the the tukkus. 

On 2/10/2022 at 11:06 PM, PovertyRow said:

Why would you even reply if you don't care?

When I say "who I am" I do not mean my professional status, social status, status in the comic book world etc. Those who know me here get it. It means I can be relentless when challenged, do not quit an argument, take pains tp prove my points, if I say I will do something then I will do it, and can  in general be a pain the the tukkus. 

Then less chitty-chat and more proof.