• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does CGC take almost a year to press and grade 3 modern books while I paid for fast track?
2 2

80 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2022 at 10:17 AM, Thundercracker80 said:

I sent 3 modern comics April 2021. It been almost a year and just now the comics are being shipped. Why terrible customer service?

FYI to anyone reading this, if you are considering sending books in:

fast track for pressing is 180 working days

fast track for grading is 90 working days

180+90= 270 working days

270 working days = 13 and a half months

Sending comics now will take over a year to get back. And that is fast track. Non fast track will take 1 year and a half (18 months).

CGC is making you aware of this, the info is there. 

If anyone is not a fan of these times, I would not send the books.

On 2/3/2022 at 3:16 PM, Yellowjax said:

Yes I have waited for 9 months. I have emailed maybe 10 times w/o a response. They have taken my money and have my comics but no contact or communication. I don't mind waiting but just tell me why.

what was the turnaround time for your tier when you submitted?

On 2/3/2022 at 11:11 AM, William-James88 said:

There's been a ton since the pandemic began. There used to be a big revenue stream of CGC having facilitators at shows to get comics signed. Plus it was an extra revenu stream for creators. Both of those went away. So the in house signings make up for that. We may see a lot, but we don't know if that accounts for as many books were sent to CGC from witnesses at shows. So while it may look disingenuous, it just replaces an activity that was already happening.

If they have more books coming in than they can handle do they really need to do in house signings?  It's an insult to customers who've waited more than 6 months to get books graded

On 2/3/2022 at 8:52 PM, thehumantorch said:

If they have more books coming in than they can handle do they really need to do in house signings?  It's an insult to customers who've waited more than 6 months to get books graded

It's not like books submitted for in-house signings get bumped ahead of everybody else, thus increasing TATs.  

Oh, wait, that's exactly what happens.  

On 2/3/2022 at 7:05 PM, djzombi said:

It's not like books submitted for in-house signings get bumped ahead of everybody else, thus increasing TATs.  

Oh, wait, that's exactly what happens.  

Yep and it's a shyty thing to do to your customers.

On 2/3/2022 at 4:37 PM, Aaarrgghh! said:

It's some kind of pilot program CGC is experimenting with.

The odd thing was that the 6 books I got back were all lesser quality comics, nothing graded over an 8.0. The 14 that are left should all be somewere in the 9+ range. So I naturally wondered if there was some sort of quick weeding out process. Someone takes a quick look at the books, sees some obvious issues, and puts them in one stack, while the ones which should grade much higher are sent somewhere else in the building. IDK, I was just trying to come up with a reason for it.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:17 AM, Thundercracker80 said:

I sent 3 modern comics April 2021. It been almost a year and just now the comics are being shipped. Why terrible customer service?

As others have said, that is not a problem with customer service.  It's an overwhelmed company who has yet to try and fix the problem.  

The turnaround times are long.  Maybe you didn't realize that when you submitted but the info is on the web site, so TATs are really the one and only thing they can't be blamed for.

That said, if you have contacted customer service and they do not respond.... THAT is terrible customer service.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 2/3/2022 at 8:28 AM, MAR1979 said:

This is what happens when you have no true viable competition. We can thank Borack's flipper mentality for that as with a proper business model instead fast cash grab his new outfit could have been at same level as CGC at this juncture.

First, if you are going to try to look like some knowledgeable insider, at least learn to spell Steve's name correctly. To say they are not viable competition is totally without basis and totally with prejudice.

Second, if you are going to try to look like some knowledgeable insider, at least be cognizant that there are a ton of CGC "loyalists" who just follow, without any questioning, knowledgeable insiders as to the TPG of choice. Or many with a long history with CGC who do not want that boat rocked.

The level of disinformation and, even worse, the level of insinuation, with absolutely no factual backup, is almost as disgusting  as reading the words "After signername signs the submitted books, CGC will grade and encapsulate them with an estimated turnaround time of six weeks. If CCS pressing is also requested, the turnaround time is estimated at eight weeks. After grading and encapsulation, the collectibles will be shipped back to their owners." on the many emails I got about yet another signing. While my and many others' books lay ignored.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:53 AM, Chester Cheetah said:

Just sorry.  “days” does not mean “working days”.  “working days” or “business days” means “working days”.  It’s flat out deceptive to use “days”.  Period.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I was taught to read at a very young age:

image.png.db74c945cbd6cf7d562d821c21908ec1.png

On 2/10/2022 at 12:58 AM, PovertyRow said:

First, if you are going to try to look like some knowledgeable insider, at least learn to spell Steve's name correctly. To say they are not viable competition is totally without basis and totally with prejudice.

Second, if you are going to try to look like some knowledgeable insider, at least be cognizant that there are a ton of CGC "loyalists" who just follow, without any questioning, knowledgeable insiders as to the TPG of choice. Or many with a long history with CGC who do not want that boat rocked.

The level of disinformation and, even worse, the level of insinuation, with absolutely no factual backup, is almost as disgusting  as reading the words "After signername signs the submitted books, CGC will grade and encapsulate them with an estimated turnaround time of six weeks. If CCS pressing is also requested, the turnaround time is estimated at eight weeks. After grading and encapsulation, the collectibles will be shipped back to their owners." on the many emails I got about yet another signing. While my and many others' books lay ignored.

Yeah my speling sucks... You must have field day with "kav"

I truly wanted them to not only succeed but take the lead. It will never happen. Perception among collectors is their grading is very lenient. I agree with that although over least 5 years CGC perhaps has started to seep closer to their level. That type of perception is virtually impossible to change. The only way would be for the other outfit to do that is to make a drastic and ruthless changes in grading. Drastic to the point that  9.4's would in effect become the new 9.8, with 9.8's being a difficult grade achieve compared to CGC (or in effect what PSA now does to their non-large submitting entities and non-sister businesses) .  That will cause a loss of business for quite a while as perception very slowly changes. They will never do that!

Nope I'm not an insider however does not mean I'm not insightful....I've interacted with Borock (happy with that spelling?) enough times over the past 23 years to see that perhaps he should be doing other things at cons other than trying to or bragging about a quick flip of an art piece or comic for a few hundred dollars.

I truly hope one day there is competition that creates a paradigm shift in Comic Book Grading. Borock's current outfit had their chance and IMHO blew it. Whatever they have now or had already reached is their high water mark in terms of hobby perception.

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, MAR1979 said:

Perception among collectors is their grading is very lenient.

The only way to hope to do would be for the other outfit to do a complete 180. Drastic to the point that  9.4's would in effect become the new 9.8, with 9.8's being a difficult grade achieve compared to CGC.  That will cause a loss of business for quite a while as perception very slowly changes. They will never do that!

I truly hope one day there is competition that creates a paradigm shift in Comic Book Grading. Borock's current outfit had their chance and IMHO blew it. Whatever they have now or had already reached is their high water mark in terms of hobby perception.

Uneducated collectors? Sure.

They would never do that because it makes quite literally no sense.

You're verifiably incorrect. CBCS has grown along with CGC over the past 2 years. CGC has implemented changes that have chased customers away to the competition.

On 2/10/2022 at 1:38 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Uneducated collectors? Sure.

They would never do that because it makes quite literally no sense.

You're verifiably incorrect. CBCS has grown along with CGC over the past 2 years. CGC has implemented changes that have chased customers away to the competition.

At this juncture however I've not seen that, although I will be very glad if the market ever reflects that. If that does occur I'll be glad to sub them books and again consider purchasing theirs

P.S with only 2 exceptions, every 9.8 CBCS I've viewed in hand, at least 150, I've easily found they deserved lower grades. With CGC the thousands of 9.8 CGC's I've viewed in hand I feel that occurs approx 50-60% of the time. Which IMHO is still far too much. Still as mentioned I welcome a paradigm shift.

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/10/2022 at 1:46 PM, MAR1979 said:

At this juncture however I've not seen that, although I will be very glad if the market ever reflects that. If that does occur I'll be glad to sub them books and again consider purchasing theirs

P.S with only 2 exceptions, every 9.8 CBCS I've viewed in hand, at least 150, I've easily found they deserved lower grades. With CGC the thousands of 9.8 CGC's I've viewed in hand I feel that occurs approx 50-60% of the time. Which IMHO is still far too much. Still as mentioned I welcome a paradigm shift.

Market prices will likely never meet CGC's, but that's irrespective of their ability to properly grade comic books.

I suspect that you viewed them through the lens of confirmation bias.

On 2/10/2022 at 1:50 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Market prices will likely never meet CGC's, but that's irrespective of their ability to properly grade comic books.

I suspect that you viewed them through the lens of confirmation bias.

Perhaps.

Still given your statement what the reason to purchase their slabs? Lower re-sale value? More difficult to sell even with an initial lower cost price tag?   I'm looking at 3 of their 9.8 slab's in my hands right now they are 9.4's on good day at best.

I want to be wrong as consumers benefit from strong competition but if the books in the CBCS slabs I own will be a difficult lower ROI sale if I ever need to, they why bother with them?

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/10/2022 at 1:59 PM, MAR1979 said:

Still given your statement what the reason to purchase their slabs? Lower re-sale value? More difficult to sell even with an initial lower cost price tag?   I'm looking at 3 of their 9.8 slab's in my hands right now they are 9.4's on good day at best.

I want to be wrong as consumers benefit from strong competition but if the books in the CBCS slabs I own will be a difficult lower ROI sale if I ever need to, they why bother with them?

I guess I'll have to take your word for the 3 slabs you have in your hands. Not everybody is the great grader that they claim to be. CGC screws up just as often as CBCS. They had more than a decade of head-start.

Newton Rings aren't a problem over there, for starters. The choice between CGC and CBCS is a personal one; There is not much objective criteria to choose one over the other.