• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could X-Men 1 ever be a valuable collectible? 1991 issue
4 4

66 posts in this topic

Was watching Jerry's video today on some 9.8s to grab in 2022 and he mentioned the X-Men 1 comic we all know. He mentioned to grab it now since it is affordable. With going on 4,500 CGC 9.8 copies I do not see this comic ever reaching decent money due to the lack of supply. What are the opinions here on this?

Sold all my 9.8s

Made out like a bandit and people are suckers

Guess what, picked up 5 more raw 9.8s for practically pennies so I can do it again when people forget how stupid they are

Guessing that'll be around the time Marvel X-Men drop

These are the books that really only have value in the 9.8 area. I submitted an X-Men #4 myself, which is the same deal. Even so, I don't see this going too high. Then again, I didn't expect a Spawn #1 to sell for as much as it has, so who knows. (shrug)

On 2/7/2022 at 10:17 AM, The Meta said:

Sold all my 9.8s

Made out like a bandit and people are suckers

Guess what, picked up 5 more raw 9.8s for practically pennies so I can do it again when people forget how stupid they are

Guessing that'll be around the time Marvel X-Men drop

If only X-Force #1 would do the same. I got a few of those still bagged sitting around that I got basically as freebies. Ha ha.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, Lord Gemini said:

If only X-Force #1 would do the same. I got a few of those still bagged sitting around that I got basically as freebies. Ha ha.

Those negatives with Deadpool cards have to be worth something 

On 2/7/2022 at 1:16 PM, lostboys said:

There are a ton of them, sure. There are also a ton of new comic fans that were not around to buy 20 copies of each cover like most people did 30 years ago.  

There are plenty who were around to have purchased (still purchase?) in $0.50 bins, though. 

New comic collectors approach the hobby differently, and they seem to want a 9.8 cgc slab to check off a list.  Yes, xmen 1 is near worthless due to how many were printed, but it is still an important book.  5k graded 9.8s is a ton compared to most books, but I imagine there are more than 5k new collectors needing their xmen 1 9.8.  I could see this appreciating as the supposed Disney xmen movies draw near, even as people with dozens of copies start to get them graded.  I personally wouldn't invest in a modern comic book, but I think there are worse bets than this.  

On 2/7/2022 at 1:16 PM, lostboys said:

There are a ton of them, sure. There are also a ton of new comic fans that were not around to buy 20 copies of each cover like most people did 30 years ago.  

A good example of this comes from Trading Cards.  For Trading cards the early 90's was the "Junk Wax Era" for Comics it was  "The Glut" which in effect was a "Junk Comic Era". Junk due to huge press runs, not in term of production or artistic quality although all could apply on some books.

The 1990 Fleer Jordan PSA10 hit a pandemic high of $1000 it's now down to 275-325 and sinking. Will likley be under $200 by end of year and could even approach $150.  Sure card dealers are still happy to get $299 for a high pop previously low demand card issue of which they are sitting on stacks of, with many more in the PSA queue, however those who purchased it at 500,600,700,800,900,1000,1100 are fiscal losers.

Many of those who purchased the 1990 Jordon the last 18 months, by most accounts, were novice card collectors.  I see 1991 X-Men #1 (and Spawn #1 and X-Force #1) as same thing as the 1990 Jordan, if you got 'em sell, sell, sell now to the rubes before they eventually view a population report or notice how many are always concurrently up for sale on eBay.

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/7/2022 at 8:00 AM, KCode98 said:

Was watching Jerry's video today on some 9.8s to grab in 2022 and he mentioned the X-Men 1 comic we all know. He mentioned to grab it now since it is affordable. With going on 4,500 CGC 9.8 copies I do not see this comic ever reaching decent money due to the lack of supply. What are the opinions here on this?

Valuable?  Probably not.  Worth something?  Yes.  But supply will limit upside.

Yeah, I mean. Who knows? 

I think logic says no, clearly, obviously. I think a lot of people on these boards have common sense, but these purchases are not governed by common sense.

I am, by definition, flabbergasted that X-Men #1, in any cover, CGC 9.8, Signature Series, signed by Stan Lee and who cares who else, is over a thousand dollars. That's insane to me, but, behold, it sells. Go figure.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:00 AM, KCode98 said:

Who is Jerry?

On 2/7/2022 at 3:09 PM, 18-22 said:

I don't see anything important there (shrug)

Doesn't detract from it being important in the Xmen canon and series development 

Women don't think my junk is important but its part of my anatomy, so important as being part of the whole