• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Round 3
12 12

312 posts in this topic

Wow - that round was brutal. 

I went -

Wings - 1.8, Beware - 4.0, Atom - 4.0, Surfer 1 - 8.0, Hulk 181 - 3.0

Typical grading contest where I do well the 1st two rounds and then suck when it counts.  The Wings and the Atoms 1 was the two books that I wasn't close across the board but a 3.0 with half the spine split is pretty fluff.  I went back and forth with the Hulk 181 but thought the slight staining would have caused more of a drop.  Thanks for the contest!

• Administrator

So, we are going to do a tiebreaker round to determine the top ten participants.  This round will be between:

@mccollect

@Axelrod

@Frederic9494

@HighStakesComics

@Point Five

@zoso99

@zzutak

I will post 2 books, and 5 of these people will fill in the gap between 6th and 10th place on the top ten list, and compete in the final round.  (2 people will be eliminated)  I will start a thread for this fairly soon.  All ten people will retain their scores from the first 3 rounds, and the points given in the final round will be added to their current points.  

On 2/15/2022 at 6:48 AM, Axelrod said:

Yeah, I know.

This is not really an excuse, but I know what I was thinking, and it was that - not counting the staining of front and back covers - it looked like a very nice book.  Maybe at least an 8.  So if I was ONLY docking it for the front/back cover stains, which weren't super extensive, maybe knock it down to a 7?

Which is obviously wrong, as the staining clearly has to go through the whole book.  But, you know, the rules say there are no significant defects to the interior....So I was kind of just grading based on the covers.

Again, not an excuse and I should have known better.  

In grading contests, when a defect can be seen from the covers to run through entire book, there is no need to state the interior defect.  Imagine a book with a hole thru the middle.  If it isnt stated, would you assume the interior pages were intact because it wasnt mentioned?

On 2/14/2022 at 11:27 PM, thirdgreenham said:

I'll have 15 points (I'm pretty sure) after the end of Round 3.  Don't think that's quite enough to crack the Top 10.

Congrats to all participants, there were some good books in this contest. :applause: 

Nice job! 

To determine what your salary would be at the CGC, use the following formula ...... $150,000 per year minus (your grading score x $4,000)+$1,500 if you sign up by June 30th, 2022

(DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE CGC) 

Edited by ivegotneatstuff