• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'The past is a foreign country...'
4 4

33 posts in this topic

'...they do things differently there.'

LP Hartley, the first line of The Go-Between

In a parallel thread, a fellow boardie @70s80sTimeMachine eloquently wrote:

Sure when I was assembling my Bats run from the later GA and early SA periods, it was an incredible experience. But the most meaningful moments and fun I had in years was when I was running after and getting the actual books I read as a kid in near mint newsstand quality condition all over again. No matter how many times I look at these particular slabs, it's as if I have been teleported back in time; this is nostalgia in it's most potent form. 

What more powerful reason to collect than this? So regardless of time period, Gold, Silver, Bronze or Modern, it would be fascinating to see other boardies share those comics they've [re]collected that rewind the clock, and carry us back to the lost world of childhood memories...

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 2/11/2022 at 3:22 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

The equivalent for me was to acquire all of the Adam Strange appearances in Mystery in Space I could not find or afford as an 8 year old kid in the corner shop, staring forlornly at the fantastical covers. And I'm still in love with Alanna.

So very true. This scenario slipped my mind entirely; that is all of the "stuff" you wanted or couldn't get early on as a kid that you now are able to, can be an even greater motivation for collecting and having a meaningful connection. Glad you were able to get these. (thumbsu  

On 2/11/2022 at 8:48 PM, MrBedrock said:

I bought this book from Tanner Miles at a Houston Con in the early 70's when I was 9 or 10 years old. Later I entrusted it to Straw-Man when #72 was one of the last issues he needed to complete the run. A few years ago he returned it...

Printed 75 years ago. In the family for almost 50 years...

mm72original.jpg

That's a beauty!

On 2/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, MrBedrock said:

I bought this book from Tanner Miles at a Houston Con in the early 70's when I was 9 or 10 years old. Later I entrusted it to Straw-Man when #72 was one of the last issues he needed to complete the run. A few years ago he returned it...

Printed 75 years ago. In the family for almost 50 years...

mm72original.jpg

that was good of ol' straw; now he'd REALLY be a pal if he sent it back at the same price as the original 90's deal...

Another most recent example is Italian Duck artists.

Once I arrived in the U.S., I focused on Barks Ducks but, in reality, growing up in the late '70's and early '80's, Picsou Magazine was loaded with Italian Duck stories rather than US reprints.

I stumbled across collected editions of IDW Uncle Scrooge issues at the library last month and have checked out everything they have and have been rediscovering these stories (and newer ones) with relish.