• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatnot App
2 2

38 posts in this topic

I have been having fun with it as a buyer for Pokemon pack rips. Just can't expect every pack to be a home run.

One of my first packs I bought was a Japanese Pokemon Vmax for $18. Turned out it was a "God Pack" worth a couple hundred. It was filled with trainers and secret rare cards.

This was my pull.

https://youtube.com/shorts/APIJr37eTxU?feature=share

Edited by BigD702

A couple of people that I follow their facebook live sales have added these. I have yet to try it. I'm not sure I would randomly just buy without knowing who the seller was. But I'm also like that on the facebook shows. 

On 2/13/2022 at 10:28 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

It’s been described as a meeting between eBay and Instagram.  I don’t have it myself.

This is a good description I think. I sometimes keep that app on in the background, joining various shows to see what's happening. I like discovering new books, new sellers, and discovering how pokemon, mtg, and sportscard sellers work. I was always curious about mystery boxes, slabs, breaks, and all those random contests. I don't participate in them but I at least got to see them in-person. As a buyer, my paypal account gets charged right away so be aware of that. It's also difficult to find people who grade accurately (which is my experience from instagram). There are some dealers on Whatnot who grade well (in my experience) but it takes time to find them. I've also found myself buying something I don't need just because I've been watching the show for awhile and my discipline breaks down.

I find the app entertaining but I find conventions, my lcs, and this board to be the place where I can focus on being the kind of collector I want to be. 

1. I have used it as a buyer and watched a few shows, though not many.

2. I have a few friends that are selling on there.  It seems like it is quite a bit of work to do but they are doing fine.

3. I do like that they go through a pretty decent screening process to try and weed out potential scammers.  Sure seems like a step in the right direction for the legitimate to have a good avenue for selling.

4. it is VERY easy to accidentally bid on something.  I have seen some ridiculously overbid items where someone was typing in their custom bid and hit a wrong digit and bam that $450 bid is now $4500.

I've purchased a few things.  Grading is suspect at best if graded at all. For me a good chunk of the sellers chase me away quickly with awful, loud music and ridiculous over-hyping. Everything's a 'Steal' and 'Fire'.  Having said that I was recently approved as a seller and may toss some box fillers up at some point and see how it goes. No music and grading every book as accurately as I can.  

On 2/15/2022 at 12:22 PM, cd4ever said:

I've purchased a few things.  Grading is suspect at best if graded at all. For me a good chunk of the sellers chase me away quickly with awful, loud music and ridiculous over-hyping. Everything's a 'Steal' and 'Fire'.  Having said that I was recently approved as a seller and may toss some box fillers up at some point and see how it goes. No music and grading every book as accurately as I can.  

Looking forward to getting some fire books at steal prices. 

If you just have money you want to spend then Popshop and Whatnot are fine.... assuming someone sells something you actually want.  It's just a bunch of random books going up for auction.  No search function, no pictures of the book to evaluate condition, just people waving books around in front of the camera while using the word "fire" over and over.  If you're looking for specific books you want, then that isn't the place.

Plus, I'm convinced people who sell on Whatnot are strongly encouraged to ridiculously over-hype Whatnot.  I've stopped following other collectors on IG simply because of this.

I prefer a place where I can search for specific books, look at the conditions of each and decide how much I'm willing to pay.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 2/15/2022 at 8:21 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I'm convinced people who sell on Whatnot are strongly encouraged to ridiculously over-hype Whatnot. 

There's a paid referral system so they are indeed encouraged. 

That is social media though, right?  Everything is “fire” or a “key” or a “steal”.  I’ve had Instagram for roughly 5 years now.  I’ve rolled my eyes more times in the last 5 years than my previous 33 combined. 

That being said, I haven’t personally tried Whatnot, but I watched a few sales.  Speaking of Instagram, I have met several people with similar interest in books.  It’s also provided me an outlet to purchase some nice books that I probably wouldn’t have had access to.  So, take the good with the bad I suppose.