• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain Marvel Junior given props early on in the new 'Elvis' trailer...
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Not a “Promise” But supposedly, Elvis’s comic collection is still stored in the attic at Graceland.

I sure hope HA never gets their mitts on it…

https://nerdist.com/article/shazam-inspired-elvis-presley/

Edited by Robot Man

Just watched the trailer.

I nominate the movie for Oscar for Best Movie, Best Soundtrack ( Oscar winner for 2022 all the way through to 2050 ), Best Producer, Best Writer and Best Actors in ALL categories.

The Director deserves 2 Oscars, the spare for being an absolute genius.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 2/18/2022 at 4:36 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Just watched the trailer.

I nominate the movie for Oscar for Best Movie, Best Soundtrack ( Oscar winner for 2022 all the way through to 2050 ), Best Producer, Best Writer and Best Actors in ALL categories.

Me too, it looks great, I really hope they have done a good job, I can see a lot of the moves are based on real footage, cant wait now :) 

Films based on Elvis have been done badly or iffy at best in the past :wishluck: this time.

I admit to being humbled because when I heard about it and seeing that kid who plays him, I completely brushed it off and had zero interest. As Kevin.J said, films about Elvis have been iffy and questionable at best. I still think the restored documentary 'That's The Way It Is' is the best footage of Elvis, and any of the films about him have always looked ridiculous to me, yes, even the Carpenter/Russell version.

This one looks fantastic- kudos to the actor, who is not letting an accent or an impersonation do the work for him. That being said, Tom Hanks is camping it up slightly with his European accent- whether that's his choice or the director's choice, I suspect it's there to hit the audience over the head to constantly remind them the Colonel was actually Dutch and pretending to be Southern- in real life, the Colonel didn't speak like that at all and sounded like some good old boy you'd see at a flea market. So that was curious.

I also assumed they'd stop at the '68 Comeback Special which is obvious for the typical biopic (like how the Freddie Mercury filmed stops at Live Aid)- the fact that it's going past that, to 1977 makes it more interesting and bolder as a film for me. I'm gonna assume with the whole gamut it's gonna be three hours??

Guess we'll know in June. Looks promising. I wonder if they based it on Peter Guralnick's definitive 2-volume bio. I read that on tour with my own band like 18 years ago and was captivated by all the stuff I didn't know.

I had the privilege of entering the Graceland mansion 3 weeks ago.  To anyone that has not visited, all i can say is it is a breathtaking, must-see experience.  Yes, the word is that his OO comic books (presumably many Jrs and Masters (?)) are up in the attic of Graceland, untouched since he moved to Graceland in 1954 from his parents' Lauderdale Courts apartment in downtown Memphis.  Did he acquire some of those comics when he was a child/tween when he lived in Tupelo Miss?  Likely, as he would have been ~ 14 when he moved from Tupelo to Memphis.  In any event, time will tell, if Lisa Marie and mom Priscilla, who manage his estate, ever release these comics to the market.  

Note the lightning symbol on Elvis' tombstone.  "TCB [lightning symbol]" was his motto, Taking Care of Business in a Flash.

20220131_134746.jpg

20220131_134758.jpg

On 2/19/2022 at 4:22 PM, zosocane said:

I had the privilege of entering the Graceland mansion 3 weeks ago.

I visited Graceland on my first visit to the USA in 2017. It was on my Birthday. Best gift I ever received.

When I was in the Graceland stores, my wife refused to hand me my wallet. :facepalm:

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 2/19/2022 at 10:25 AM, Gotham Kid said:

I visited Graceland on my first visit to the USA in 2017. It was on my Birthday. Best gift I ever received.

When I was in the Graceland stores, my wife refused to hand me my wallet. :facepalm:

I spent 8 hours there in 1993.  Loved every second of it. Looking forwards to Baz's vision of The King but NOTHING will top Kurt Russell's performance in 1979. I don't like this guys new look personally.  I preferred Russel, Michael St Gerard, or Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Had never heard the theory before that his little capes were a nod to Captain Marvel Jr as well as  the lightening bolt in TCB logo