• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VHS collecting
2 2

146 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, Namtak said:

I got like 4 poster of that vhs release,worth anyting?

(shrug)

Do you have ebay or google?

Spoiler

:signfunny:

Seriously though I don't know, but a quick search on ebay filter by sold highest shows these :

20220219_153412.thumb.jpg.acdc3fbc51896959c35c677979284eec.jpgthen filtered by sold lowest shows:

20220219_153513.jpg.4dd0fe7a74e1f0a25a54db16cecc3a6d.jpg

On 2/20/2022 at 4:44 AM, ashsaytr said:

Why Graded VHS Tapes Might Be The Next Big Thing // ONE37pm

had to go look this up and this was the first one that popped up... can't and won't vouch for any of it!

yeah, not much meat there other than "NOSTALGIA"! The red flag of any new trend is when people are talking about it being an 'alternative investment' well before it's actually been a graded collectible before the 'spike'. While VHS, like comics, have always been traded and collected they never had the grading (or any real interest it seemed from collectors for that to exist) but now with all these INVESTMENT opportunities it feels these new VHS graders are trying to create a market & demand instantly that took decades with comic grading to happen organically.

Until I see a large amount of graded VHS selling naturally on common venues like Ebay for a variety of prices (not just a single Mario VHS for record prices, with no other sales or availability) I can't take it as anything other than at best a cash grab (and a scam at worst. Red flag when the new grading company is called INVESTMENT Grading Services, feels like internet meme stock all over again)

Edited by Sauce Dog

It never occurred to me that we might have so many laserdisc fans on the boards! I don't have nearly as many as I used to, but I've stubbornly hung onto a few, and I enjoy hanging out in the LD groups on Facebook to see the collections of other folks. Having been born in 77, I grew up in the VHS rental era, and of course have great fondness for it. But by the time I had a job and was buying my own stuff, I got a laserdisc player, as that was the best/only way to see most of these movies in their intended aspect ratios, with bonus features, etc. So my childhood nostalgia is for VHS, but my COLLECTOR nostalgia is for LD.

As for sealed copies selling for high sums, ugh. To each their own. But as has been mentioned, I'm just now sure how you differentiate recently shrinkwrapped movies over the originals. I'm sure there are methods, but I sure wouldn't know what I'm looking for. For a time I was scooping up horror VHS tapes whenever I found them, but I ended up selling my collection when prices started perking up. Considering the sheer tonnage of cassettes out there in the world, I did not foresee the run up in value. Guess I should have kept some! 

As popular as VHS was, DVD is the most popular home video format of all time. Will sealed DVD's see a similar price bump one day? I dunno, but am I stockpiling on the cheap? A gentleman never tells...

On 2/21/2022 at 8:20 PM, rexinnih said:

Well looking at this, now of course wish like others, I didn't trash my VHS/Beta tapes, cassettes and Laser Discs when I was moving to DVD. At the time, couldn't give these away. 

I remember when DVD first started hitting. I went to the local Suncoast to look at laserdiscs, and was talking to a kid that worked there. He was telling me that DVD was the future, and that laserdisc would be dead in a year, and VHS would be dead in five. I laughed. LAUGHED.

I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

On 2/22/2022 at 8:27 AM, F For Fake said:

I remember when DVD first started hitting. I went to the local Suncoast to look at laserdiscs, and was talking to a kid that worked there. He was telling me that DVD was the future, and that laserdisc would be dead in a year, and VHS would be dead in five. I laughed. LAUGHED.

I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

That same kid probably picked HD-DVD over Blu-ray, so he was likely only one-for-two. 

On 2/20/2022 at 7:49 AM, Sauce Dog said:

yeah, not much meat there other than "NOSTALGIA"! The red flag of any new trend is when people are talking about it being an 'alternative investment' well before it's actually been a graded collectible before the 'spike'. While VHS, like comics, have always been traded and collected they never had the grading (or any real interest it seemed from collectors for that to exist) but now with all these INVESTMENT opportunities it feels these new VHS graders are trying to create a market & demand instantly that took decades with comic grading to happen organically.

Until I see a large amount of graded VHS selling naturally on common venues like Ebay for a variety of prices (not just a single Mario VHS for record prices, with no other sales or availability) I can't take it as anything other than at best a cash grab (and a scam at worst. Red flag when the new grading company is called INVESTMENT Grading Services, feels like internet meme stock all over again)

IGS or also known as Investment Grading Scammer lol.  I've read something about them from a few people who posted their experiences with this new grading company claiming that they created multiple ebay accounts to shill bid their own graded items and that it is only one person running the company.  Reminds me of PGX in a way....

Yea, I'm in the camp too that VHS sealed tapes as an "investment" is more like a pump and dump.  I feel that there's a group of people who are taking advantage of the whole collectibles movement craze and now hyping VHS sealed tapes as great investments.  I wonder what's next on the hype train?  Laser disks, pogs, bottle caps?  Why not have the return of Beanie Babies too!

On 2/24/2022 at 12:20 PM, valiantman said:

That same kid probably picked HD-DVD over Blu-ray, so he was likely only one-for-two. 

I also, initially, once I took the plunge...picked HD-DVD over Blu.

I'm not proud of it, but it's true!

doh!

On 2/24/2022 at 2:02 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not sure why anyone would've bet against Sony.

At the time, the specs seemed to indicate, or at least my reading of the specs seemed to indicate, that HD-DVD had the better product. True, they were outputting 1080i, whereas BD was to support 1080p, and BD also had better storage capacity. However, HD-DVD had a newer, better form of compression. At the end of the day, could the average joe tell the difference, if you played the two formats side by side? Probably not.

More importantly, there were a lot of promotions that made the HD-DVD player more attractive and affordable. It has been some time now, obviously, but my recollection is that I was able to get the HD-DVD player, with five free movies, for $300 or less. Maybe not even that much? Meanwhile, standalone Blu-Ray players were much more like $500-$700. Eventually the PS3 came out, and that was a more attractive offer as you got the Blu player along with a gaming system. However, it was still like $500, which was a substantial amount of money if the movie technologies weren't vastly different, and you don't care about Playstation gaming, which I didn't/don't.

So, it was pretty easy to choose against Sony, in the beginning. HD-DVD came out first, it was considerably cheaper, and the technologies were comparable. 

Edited by F For Fake

I had both HD DVD and Blu-ray in the beginning (I used to always be an early adapter). HD DVD was a good product with excellent software. The Blu-ray rollout was a disaster. The Samsung BD player was a bomb. It had a chip built into it that softened the picture. The first BD titles, such as the first release of The Fifth Element, were botched. At that point, a lot of electronics dealers and fans thought HD DVD was going to win the format war. What made BD the winner was money. Sony and Toshiba bribed Warner Home Video to pick their format exclusively. Sony offered more money. WB went with Blu-ray exclusively. And that was the end. Luckily better players and nicer transfers started to appear. Go back and look at those early Blu-ray releases. They were one layer, used Mpeg2 as their codec, and used dated transfers that were mastered for laserdisc. It's pure luck that they won the war.

On 2/24/2022 at 7:01 PM, Larryw7 said:

I had both HD DVD and Blu-ray in the beginning (I used to always be an early adapter). HD DVD was a good product with excellent software. The Blu-ray rollout was a disaster. The Samsung BD player was a bomb. It had a chip built into it that softened the picture. The first BD titles, such as the first release of The Fifth Element, were botched. At that point, a lot of electronics dealers and fans thought HD DVD was going to win the format war. What made BD the winner was money. Sony and Toshiba bribed Warner Home Video to pick their format exclusively. Sony offered more money. WB went with Blu-ray exclusively. And that was the end. Luckily better players and nicer transfers started to appear. Go back and look at those early Blu-ray releases. They were one layer, used Mpeg2 as their codec, and used dated transfers that were mastered for laserdisc. It's pure luck that they won the war.

@Larryw7dropping the knowledge! It’s been many years since I’ve thought about those days, this really took me back! Thanks for stating the HD-DVD case much more succinctly than I could. I know at the time I made the decision, HD-DVD seemed like the obvious answer. I do feel like if HD-DVD had been an integrated drive on the X-Box 360, rather than a peripheral, things may have turned out differently. I think the inclusion of the built-in BD player on the PS3 was a smart move on Sony’s part. Whether PS3 buyers cared or not, they suddenly had a BD player in their homes. It was easy enough to go ahead and make the jump.

This is fun. It’s like being on the Bluray.com forums, only much more pleasant. (Boy, if folks think CGC boardies are pedantic, they ain’t seen nothin’!) Now, when do we start the official laserdisc thread??

On 2/25/2022 at 7:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

That was before my time. While I have heard of Betamax, I didn't know that it was obsolete because VHS won the war. Interesting.

Also, history again repeating itself: Beta was the better format.