• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toho's GODZILLA MINUS ONE directed by Takashi Yamazaki (12/1/23)
6 6

217 posts in this topic

Godzilla Minus One Roars Loudly as the Best Film in the Franchise Since Godzilla 1954

Godzilla Minus One is the next big live-action Godzilla film from Toho since Shin Godzilla in 2016, taking the king of the monsters and dropping him into the setting of post-war Japan. Director Takashi Yamazaki was tasked with creating an epic monster film while delivering an engrossing human story starring Ryunosuke Kamiki and Minami Hamabe. The result is the best Godzilla film since the original 1954 film thanks to the compelling story, Godzilla doing what Godzilla does best, wonderful cast, and stunning cinematography.

Godzilla is a menace, and this is one of the deadliest versions of the kaiju that has ever graced the screen. His massive size and tough skin are already an obstacle, but his atomic breath is on a whole other scale. The focus is the human story, but when Godzilla appears on the screen, he is shown in all his glory. (He isn’t teased like in 2014’s Godzilla.) The MonsterVerse films (Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla: King of the Monsters) focus on Godzilla as a monster that brings balance to the world, Godzilla in Godzilla Minus Zero is a monster focused on destruction and mayhem.

Godzilla Minus One is truly a human story that digs deep into the Japanese psyche of life and death. Godzilla is a beast and is a spectacle whenever he’s on the screen. Even if you take away the kaiju element, the human story still stands on its own.

Rating: 4.5/5 Atoms

On 11/15/2023 at 5:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

Did this guy see Shin Godzilla? I mean that movie is haunting in a way few movies ever are. It’s still with me weeks later. 

That said, I look forward to it being just as good if possible. :wink:

On 11/15/2023 at 10:21 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

Did this guy see Shin Godzilla? I mean that movie is haunting in a way few movies ever are. It’s still with me weeks later. 

That said, I look forward to it being just as good if possible. :wink:

I agree. I though Shin Godzilla did a great story for both the creature and the humans.

Ok, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to the Monsterverse - is Godzilla Minus One part of that universe, or is it something independent from the Monarch stuff?

On 11/29/2023 at 3:40 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Ok, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to the Monsterverse - is Godzilla Minus One part of that universe, or is it something independent from the Monarch stuff?

Toho Productions so separate from the Legendary Monsterverse world.

In the recent years that Godzilla has been conquering Hollywood, Toho has been working on a bold new vision for their staple monster. It was originally reported that Godzilla’s home studio was interested in building a cinematic universe from 2016’s Shin Godzilla after the release of Godzilla vs. Kong, which was then thought to be the last chapter in Warner Bros. and Legendary’s MonsterVerse franchise. Of course, the success of that crossover has now led to a spin-off series on Apple TV+, Monarch: Legacy of Monsters, and another sequel due next year, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire. But this didn’t stop Toho from moving ahead with their first original live-action Godzilla feature in 7 years, Godzilla Minus One. Though it’s unfortunate that we didn’t get a follow-up to Shin Godzilla, especially after its bone-chilling cliffhanger ending, Godzilla Minus One is just as much a masterpiece in its own right. 

Written and directed by award-winning Japanese filmmaker Takashi Yamazaki – best known for the Always: Sunset on Third Street trilogy, Lupin III: The First, and his Parasyte and Stand by Me Doraemon films, Godzilla Minus One is a visually stunning powerhouse of emotion. Western audiences have long complained about the expectations for giant monster flicks, and the MonsterVerse has faced these criticisms from the very beginning. Only in America will you hear complaints about there needing to be “less talking and more fighting” when it comes to Godzilla movies. And to be fair, the MonsterVerse didn’t really make a good case for itself either since it took a few sequels for its human drama to improve. Toho’s timing with Godzilla Minus One couldn’t be sweeter then, showcasing how to make the perfect Godzilla picture with a compelling human ensemble and breathtaking action that’s savored from start to finish.

Whether or not Toho chooses to follow this up with a sequel doesn’t matter because just like Shin Godzilla, Godzilla Minus One is unique and powerful enough to stand the test of time. However, considering that we’re left with yet another hair-raising cliffhanger, we wouldn’t say no to a sequel! Should Takashi Yamazaki return, of course.

Overall: 5.0/5 stars

^^

On 11/29/2023 at 2:31 PM, Bosco685 said:

Toho Productions so separate from the Legendary Monsterverse world.

Thanks. I saw Toho referenced in the credits on the Godzilla Monsterverse stuff (I'm assuming Godzilla is their property) and wondered about that.