• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics 1 CGC 9.8
6 6

166 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 1:36 PM, Chicago Boy said:
On 2/25/2022 at 2:36 PM, lou_fine said:

I remember the good old days when a million dollars would pretty much buy you a mansion in the expensive West side of the city here. (thumbsu

Nowadays, a million dollars wouldn't even allow you to buy a derelict teardown shack in the East side slums of the city here.  :(  :censored:

Where's "here"  ? 

Right here where you can buy this "beauty" of a dream house on the East side of the city for a cool million dollars:  :p  

https://vancouversun.com/business/real-estate/metro-vancouver-real-estate-this-is-what-1-million-buys-you

This house at 3148 East 47th Avenue in Vancouver is listed for $999,900.

Okay, my bad as it was listed last year for $100 less at only $999,900.  Then again, it did end up selling shortly after that for $1,105,000!!!  :censored:

I guess we shouldn't forget that it's going to cost you another million to tear it down and put a new house up there to replace it.  :censored:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

Or if you want to try on the posh ritzy West side of the city, this even dreamier looking house sold for $80K over the $2.4M asking price:  :fear:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-teardown-real-estate-1.3449869

4453-w-14th-ave-2-4m-home.jpg?crop=1.777xh:h;*,*&downsize=510px:*510w

With the backyard being listed as a landscaper's dream (love how real estate agents phrase things as I certainly wouldn't call it that):  :devil:

backyard-of-2-4m-vancouver-home.jpeg

Not sure how much it would go for in today's hot real estate market, as this sale took place way back in 2016 long before Covid rocketed prices further up into the stratosphere.  :Rocket:

Of course, being on the West side of the city, it's going to cost a whole heck of a lot more than a piddly mllion dollars to put up a new house there as the building trades charge according to what the market will bear which means pretty much close to double since you also have to keep up with the Jones's next door. :frustrated: :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, tth2 said:

Vancouver

Says the guy living in the world's most expensive city by a long shot in terms of unaffordability.  :baiting:

At least we take only the silver medal as the second most expensive city in the world in terms of unaffordability.  :banana:

Then again, we are taxed egregiously to the max on 50% of our capital gains while you guys in HK live pretty much in a tax haven with ZERO percent capital gains tax.  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/28/2022 at 7:18 PM, MattTheDuck said:
On 2/28/2022 at 7:15 PM, circumstances said:

Has this all happened yet?

Don't wanna miss the fanfare.

I'm pretty sure whatever was going to happen has already happened.

Yes indeed, where did that good old Tim Frommelt go to or did he find something else to spend his $100 billion dollars on besides just a Cap 1?  lol

Why, it's been almost a good 10 days since we last heard from him and his quest to acquire this book from the younger Verzyl kids. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Based on the timing of his post and his indication that his funds would be in hand on the first, I think it’s obvious his funds were in a buried cache in Ukraine that he expected to be liberated in short order. But his plans appear to have gone awry.

On 3/1/2022 at 2:00 AM, lou_fine said:

Or if you want to try on the posh ritzy West side of the city, this even dreamier looking house sold for $80K over the $2.4M asking price:  :fear:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-teardown-real-estate-1.3449869

4453-w-14th-ave-2-4m-home.jpg?crop=1.777xh:h;*,*&downsize=510px:*510w

With the backyard being listed as a landscaper's dream (love how real estate agents phrase things as I certainly wouldn't call it that):  :devil:

backyard-of-2-4m-vancouver-home.jpeg

Not sure how much it would go for in today's hot real estate market, as this sale took place way back in 2016 long before Covid rocketed prices further up into the stratosphere.  :Rocket:

Of course, being on the West side of the city, it's going to cost a whole heck of a lot more than a piddly mllion dollars to put up a new house there as the building trades charge according to what the market will bear which means pretty much close to double since you also have to keep up with the Jones's next door. :frustrated: :censored:

And that same house would cost you $20k to $30k in small/mid size towns in Iowa, Ohio, and Indiana.  If you can work remote, definitely can find much cheaper places to live.  When I moved from CA to CO, I thought I would be living in a huge house but what we found is the town I moved to is Bay Area prices but the houses are bigger and nicer so we spent actually more for our house in CO but it was 2x the size we had in CA and much newer/nicer.

On 3/1/2022 at 6:52 AM, batman_fan said:

And that same house would cost you $20k to $30k in small/mid size towns in Iowa, Ohio, and Indiana.

I certainly wish and yet sadly, definitely not something which you would see out here where my kids are hoping to buy a home.  :(

With the crazy real estate market the way it is like the current vintage comic book marketplace, although this is more common on the west side of the city, you even see stupid transactions in the lower cost south east corner of the city where a house sells for almost a whole million OVER the asking price:  :screwy:  :censored:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/2450-se-marine-drive-vancouver

Probably one of the trending strategies from the past few years of putting in a slightly lower than market asking price in order to draw a ton of competitive bids.  Perfect case in point being this house from the news a couple of weeks ago with an asking price of only $1,598,000 and then only to be sold at $2,510,000 in the cheaper east side of the city.  Still, a grossly egregious big move up from its asking price and yet, a darn good return for the seller from the $262,600 it had sold for back in July of 2000.  :whatthe:  :frustrated:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/2/2022 at 9:12 AM, mikefeen said:

The Vancouver real estate market might be the one thing more crazy than the way this thread started!

Although it might seem crazy to some, I don't think it's quite as crazy as the 2014 - 2016 time period before the tax laws were changed to discourage the rampant and highly inflationary flipping of houses.  hm

Now, that was a rather insane period of time where I remember a small but sedate nothing at all special house on the West side of the city being flipped four times during this short 2 year time period with the price going up from $3.2M before it settled in at a $7.6M price point.  :censored:

So, the OP with his purchase of the Allentown copy Cap 1 for $100B or even $100M would take the gold medal for craziness by a long shot.  :screwy:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/1/2022 at 9:35 AM, lighthouse said:

Based on the timing of his post and his indication that his funds would be in hand on the first, I think it’s obvious his funds were in a buried cache in Ukraine that he expected to be liberated in short order. But his plans appear to have gone awry.

Either that or it was all in rubles...

Edited by pemart1966