• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WOLVERINE variant discovery
3 3

27 posts in this topic

Okay, I posted this elsewhere, but it was the wrong category. (shrug)

Has anyone ever noticed these color variations, where do I submit the data if no one has noticed, and does CGC recognize any of these color variants as a misprint/error?

I believe the 2nd image (picture 1) is the intended color scheme and all others are bad quality prints. But the green copy (last image, picture 1) missed the red color completely (as shown in picture 2).

It's my opinion that the green Wolverine copy should be labeled as a manufacturing error, and all other bad color variations are simply just bad color.

P.S. How come Venom #1 gets Universal Blue Labels for the manufacturing errors, and everything else can go kick-rocks with a Qualified Green Label? :shiftyeyes:

Wolverine_Error.jpg

Marvel_Presents_Wolverine_2_Error_Missing_Magenta.jpg

On 2/20/2022 at 8:25 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

I spose I referred to them as color variants (or variations would have been more accurate). But really I'm wondering if they're considered 'Misprints' or 'Manufacturing/Production Errors'.

no, they are not variants. They are just a result of ink in the machine changing levels as the covers are printed and as one ink "canister" is used the color will have variations.

On 2/20/2022 at 8:28 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

For example: I have this copy of Solson Martial Arts Training Manual Michaelangelo that completely missed the green ink (yellow turtle). It's ULTRA rare and, to me, very valuable.

2_Michaelangelo_Cyan_Error.jpg

I would not consider this to be the same thing. This seems groovy and likely more collectible, I would agree.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:46 PM, Buzzetta said:

The Wolverine comics seem more like the differences in the run from the printing process than a variant.  As the printing strike progresses the color would slightly fade. 

At least that is my take on it. 

I agree, accept that the green issue (last pic, image 1) has literally no red ink on it, like it got missed completely. The red ink should blend with the base colors to produce the final color.

And probably the ink just completely ran out before it got corrected, and a few copies slipped through. All the other copies in that picture were likely printed while the ink was still running out.

Well thank you Forum Folks for helping me determine if this green Wolverine is special or not. It is to me, but I guess not to most people out there. I'm still going to slab it, along with a red copy, and display them together. maybe in the future, the set will be more enticing together.

On 2/21/2022 at 1:25 AM, Drake Dragoon said:

I spose I referred to them as color variants (or variations would have been more accurate). But really I'm wondering if they're considered 'Misprints' or 'Manufacturing/Production Errors'.

I would say that there are two categories here, Drake.

The first, as others have pointed out, are variations in the colour strike that are a normal part of the printing process. Though some can appear more visually striking than others, they are quite common and not what I would call a mistake or 'error'. The inks run low, and affect the colouring. Perfectly normal. Here's an example:

1855710566_SpaceAdventures51(Vol.3)May1963(9d).thumb.jpg.e2457b52fa1f7cd1577233b462bc4139.jpg1732797377_SpaceAdventures51(Vol.3)May1963(9d)ColourVariation.thumb.jpg.a8676a667fb7b39c6ce51927ad428054.jpg

Because that is a normal, expected part of the printing process, no one refers to them as a mistake, or an error, or a variant, so CGC do not label them as such. 

The second group is where something has gone wrong. In other words, the end product is the result of something being missed or done incorrectly. Here is an example of that:

1507331358_s-l1600(4).jpg.0ecf2dcd8c92f046c4079745a238fc43.jpg

Hopefully you can see why CGC might label that as a production error - it's pretty obvious that the inks were messed up and the result is not how the printers intended the book to come out. It's not a variant though - just an misprinted regular copy.

There is a third set of books, that have visual differences and those are sun faded copies. You can read about those here, if you're interested:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/497893-show-us-your-examples-of-sun-fade/#comments

So there will be three occasions when you might find a comic to look different, or out of place when sat next to other copies:

1. Printing errors - books that look different because something went wrong during production (warranting a label note or qualified grade)
  2. Natural colour variations - books that can look different due to the mix of inks producing, sometimes markedly different results during printing
  3. Sun faded / post production damage - books that look different because something has happened to them after the production event to change their appearance. Sun fade is the obvious one, but water damage can alter a books appearance too I've found

I really like noticeable colour variations and used to collect Spidey ones. If you like them too, that's great, but I don't think you'll be able to convince anyone to label, classify or value them any differently to any other prevalently coloured copy in their production run.

302748862_183pandb.thumb.PNG.2167965587bdfb98c13ea37bd4e6e305.PNG

On 2/20/2022 at 9:15 PM, Mercury Man said:

I suggest you work in a print shop for a few years.  (I did).  It's not a variant. 

I didn't work in a print shop but in a pre-press shop where we created the CYMK negs for the printer to burn plates (this was in the 80s). But I DID go on press runs to okay the color, register etc. And yes, these are certainly not "variants".

One odd thing I noticed was at every print shop I hit there was a bar within walking distance.

Edited by PovertyRow

On 2/21/2022 at 9:06 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I would say that there are two categories here, Drake.

The first, as others have pointed out, are variations in the colour strike that are a normal part of the printing process. Though some can appear more visually striking than others, they are quite common and not what I would call a mistake or 'error'. The inks run low, and affect the colouring. Perfectly normal. Here's an example:

1855710566_SpaceAdventures51(Vol.3)May1963(9d).thumb.jpg.e2457b52fa1f7cd1577233b462bc4139.jpg1732797377_SpaceAdventures51(Vol.3)May1963(9d)ColourVariation.thumb.jpg.a8676a667fb7b39c6ce51927ad428054.jpg

Because that is a normal, expected part of the printing process, no one refers to them as a mistake, or an error, or a variant, so CGC do not label them as such. 

The second group is where something has gone wrong. In other words, the end product is the result of something being missed or done incorrectly. Here is an example of that:

1507331358_s-l1600(4).jpg.0ecf2dcd8c92f046c4079745a238fc43.jpg

Hopefully you can see why CGC might label that as a production error - it's pretty obvious that the inks were messed up and the result is not how the printers intended the book to come out. It's not a variant though - just an misprinted regular copy.

There is a third set of books, that have visual differences and those are sun faded copies. You can read about those here, if you're interested:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/497893-show-us-your-examples-of-sun-fade/#comments

So there will be three occasions when you might find a comic to look different, or out of place when sat next to other copies:

1. Printing errors - books that look different because something went wrong during production (warranting a label note or qualified grade)
  2. Natural colour variations - books that can look different due to the mix of inks producing, sometimes markedly different results during printing
  3. Sun faded / post production damage - books that look different because something has happened to them after the production event to change their appearance. Sun fade is the obvious one, but water damage can alter a books appearance too I've found

I really like noticeable colour variations and used to collect Spidey ones. If you like them too, that's great, but I don't think you'll be able to convince anyone to label, classify or value them any differently to any other prevalently coloured copy in their production run.

302748862_183pandb.thumb.PNG.2167965587bdfb98c13ea37bd4e6e305.PNG

Ah, yes, Charlton - the mark of quality and consistency!  

On 2/22/2022 at 4:06 AM, PovertyRow said:

Yeah there is something about Charlton ... pre-code horror and BA horror ... that tugs at a collector's heartstrings.

Yes. Horror, war, westerns, romance, sci-fi, mystery, medical drama, monsters, funny animals, teen-angst....

What's not to love. 

On 2/20/2022 at 9:56 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

the green issue (last pic, image 1) has literally no red ink on it, like it got missed completely.

The only reason that's true is on a technicality (the ink is magenta), but the magenta is weak on that copy, definitely not absent.