• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel comics #1
8 8

137 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2022 at 3:11 AM, lou_fine said:

Have you ever spoken to a professional about your seemingly ongoing need to make your usual signature condescending posts to attack boardies who write posts that might run counter to your views on the comic book marketplace or hobby?  It certainly makes me wonder why you need to show us your seeming superiority and your need to have the last word on every issue all the time, instead of trying to be more inclusive.  hm  

Although I've been warned in PM's by other boardies about your rather infamous behavior here, it's really kind of sad to see some of them leave the boards as a result of this since some of them were really good board members with a lot of knowledge and love for this hobby of ours.  Especially since (well at least from my point of view :)) you are clearly a dedicated long time comic book collector and successful dealer with an absolutely amazingly fantastic personal collection that would be the envy of any collector, that it would seem to be beneath you to try to be the resident internet bully on these boards here.  :frown:

No doubt you'll get more good laughs at my post here as you do with every single one of them and you'll launch your usual condescending or snarky retorts in response.  But that's okay and I don't have a real problem with it, as you do you.  (thumbsu

Them's some big words there Podner.

On 2/23/2022 at 12:13 PM, Robot Man said:

Now, now, now gentlemen…

Lets just calm down. This is a place of positively. We are just hear to geek about funny books.

Please just ignore each other or take it to PMs…

Marvel comics #1. One of the most legendary books in the hobby. About the only mega key I can think of that I have never held in my hands, thumbed through or even seen in person. Maybe in the next life…

sound advice that i agree with.  geek, i suggest a p.m. along the lines of "poo on you, lou!"

On 2/23/2022 at 1:27 PM, Straw-Man said:

sound advice that i agree with.  geek, i suggest a p.m. along the lines of "poo on you, lou!"

Why waste the time?

On 2/23/2022 at 11:53 AM, Kevin.J said:

I really dreamed this would be my book back in the day when it was a 9.0, I had a high bid that made my missus almost have a heart attack..........it was no where near enough :tonofbricks:

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.4ab25ce91627bcac9eee57ba2b4da2e5.png

I did have the high bid on the 3.0 Action 1 You've been outbid by another customer on ACTION COMICS (1938-2011) #1, CGC G/VG: 3.0. :cheers:

ComicConnect - ACTION COMICS (1938-2011) #1 - CGC G/VG: 3.0

On 2/23/2022 at 11:21 PM, Timely said:

My old copy. Bought it from Harley

Yeah, it looks very cheap now, wish I had stumped up the difference at the time, that was probably my last chance to own a copy :facepalm:

On 2/23/2022 at 11:32 AM, MrBedrock said:
On 2/23/2022 at 11:27 AM, Straw-Man said:

Why waste the time?

Well, it's nice to see that we are in total agreement here, as it's definitely much more enjoyable to get back to the funny books and the good times that come along with them.  :)  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/21/2022 at 1:03 PM, Timely said:

Borock was given a lot of grief over the years giving it a 9.0, nice to see that wasn't warranted after all!

Would you buy it as a 9.2 Tom?  I would not.

I talked to Borock at length about how much grief he got for grading that book a 9.0

This is my favorite book of all time and I think the writing should never have affected the grade. It's no different than Dennis, Church or Larson writing their names on Pedigree copies as far as I'm concerned. 

I remember when that book kept coming up for auction and I just couldn't believe nobody wanted to hang onto it. That's a lifer copy. 

On 2/21/2022 at 5:34 PM, Timely said:

It’s basically a qualified grade by mentioning all the writing on the label and calling it a Pay Copy, why? Because if you or I took another 9.2  copy and scribbled all the same stuff on it, it would NEVER EVER be given a 9.2 grade. All the writing is basically being ignored by cgc as a historic piece of comic lore. It’s a killer book, historically significant but as far as grading goes, inaccurately graded unless treated as a qualified, moderately written on Pay Copy.

Trace the Pay Copy writing that’s on the cover to a Spawn #1 and see what grade it gets from cgc!

Why would you treat the writing differently on the Pay copy than on a Ped copy?

On 2/24/2022 at 5:58 PM, VintageComics said:

Why would you treat the writing differently on the Pay copy than on a Ped copy?

Because the amount of writing is quite extensive, probably 10 times the amount that’s on a Mile High. At some point, you have to deduct for writing.