• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel comics #1
8 8

137 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2022 at 10:00 AM, tfish1 said:

Why do the colors present better now than when it was a 9.0? Is CC just enhancing the image, compared to when Heritage sold it and I guess presented it as is?

On 2/21/2022 at 1:09 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Why do the colors present better now than when it was a 9.0? Is CC just enhancing the image, compared to when Heritage sold it and I guess presented it as is?

The blue on the label is darker.  It's a different scanner/camera being used now.

On 2/21/2022 at 1:34 PM, comicparadox said:

Amazing bit of history. Frank R. Paul got $25 for the cover. It'd be interesting to see what the payment was for the first SubMariner to Everett. Interested what this will auction for now that it's a 9.2 not 9.0...

It's a confusing matter as to how much Everett received - unless it's been universally resolved since the book first came up at the 1993 Sotheby's auction.

The 1993 Sotheby's write up was very poor - at least the paragraph dealing with Everett's payment was IMO.  The way that I interpret the summary as it relates to Everett is:

He apparently was paid at least $96.00 ($8/page - check #110) - which looks as if it was computed as $64.00 + $32.00 - thought to be $64.00 for the 8 pages that appeared in MPFW and the additional 4 pages that filled out the Submariner story in Marvel Comic #1.  

Confusing this is that there's an additional notation for a check #110 in the amount of $83.25 which does not compute to a round $/page rate.

Edited by pemart1966

I do think this is cool, but it annoys me that they will go out of their way to change the label to designate this a PAY COPY but won't do the same to designate a CHECKING COPY (which they just label as being a FILE COPY, even though it says checking copy on the cover and clearly is marked on all the pages as such and had a totally different use than typical file copies).

On 2/21/2022 at 10:09 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

CC scans are always darker than the actual book.  Sometimes the dark scan makes the book look better, sometimes it makes the book look worse.

On 2/21/2022 at 11:51 AM, pemart1966 said:

It's a confusing matter as to how much Everett received - unless it's been universally resolved since the book first came up at the 1993 Sotheby's auction.

The 1993 Sotheby's write up was very poor - at least the paragraph dealing with Everett's payment was IMO.  The way that I interpret the summary as it relates to Everett is:

He apparently was paid at least $96.00 ($8/page - check #110) - which looks as if it was computed as $64.00 + $32.00 - thought to be $64.00 for the 8 pages that appeared in MPFW and the additional 4 pages that filled out the Submariner story in Marvel Comic #1.  

Confusing this is that there's an additional notation for a check #110 in the amount of $83.25 which does not compute to a round $/page rate.

I would think he got paid for MPFW. Marvel #1 was basically a reprint wasn’t it? Maybe a reprint rate. Did they do that back then?