• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM my DD1 that I have had since 1978!
4 4

16 posts in this topic

My oldest Big Book. Got it in 1978 and have only pulled it out of the short box a few times over the years to bag and board. It is lower grade for sure with what looks like super old masking tape up and down the spine and multiple flaws, but it's mine and I love it. Book is complete and despite the tape on spine the staples seem intact. Kids liked tape in the 60's I guess. Nothing loose and no cut outs. Any thoughts on grade, viability for C+P etc. Thanks!

IMG_3165.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

IMG_3168.JPG

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

IMG_3172.JPG

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3175.JPG

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3163.jpg

Edited by Mdrguy101

No higher than a 1.5...  If I was representing it to someone else I probably wouldn't feel good calling it anything higher than 1.0--it's about as bad as a comic can be and still be considered "complete."  And even though the official stance I've read from CGC on tape is that they basically ignore it if it is used to maintain the integrity of the book--I can see where people would still prefer a book that doesn't have a book-length piece of tape along its spine.  So it might GET a 1.5, but I'd still consider it more of a 1.0, personally.

I found this language from CGC, 

After consideration of the expressed views of the community and assessment of the practice, beginning with submissions postmarked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book.

Do you think the tape serves a function on this book? How can anyone actually tell without looking under the tape for spine splits etc?

It looks to be about a 2.0, maybe 2.5. The tape contributes to the grade but your copy also has a number of other major flaws. You'll have to check the staples and the inside cover to see if the tape serves a purpose (detached cover or spine split). The tape could've been applied to protect the spine and there are no hidden flaws.

I'm curious, not to spoil your age, but how old were you when you got this book? I bought cheaply a few low-grade keys as a pre-teen and teenager. Most are G/VG or lower but they are still the books I really adore, much like your DD1.

Thanks for sharing.

I’m at 2.0 possibly 2.5 … it’s worn but everything is attached and there are no pieces missing.. that’s kinda how I see it. As far as C&P because it’s a “grail” type comic, even a half grade could be a sizable amount of money. If it was mine I would have them screen it to see if they think it would help.. they are experts and know the limitations of what they can do.