• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Your Biggest Peeve When Trying To Buy On Ebay?
3 3

126 posts in this topic

Pics that have terrible angles.  

Pics with blurry images. 

In this day and age, if you can't manage to take detailed pics with your cell phone, then get something better suited for the task. When your pics are all on angle and I can't see how well the book was cut or if its off sided, then its a hard pass. Is it that hard to get a pic of both front and back cover with detail and those shots being straight on so everyone can see the book's overall structure? There's a seller (several actually) that have their books on E-Bay and on at least one other site and some of these books are of interest but had they posted better pics, they would have had a few sales but those books are still sitting there as a result. :facepalm:

On 2/24/2022 at 12:23 AM, goldust40 said:

Can't argue, I've done okay over the 20+ years I've been buying from it. I just like complaining. :flamed:

ebay has many faults sure, and their favourite passtime as an organization seems to be moving the goalposts, but over the last 20+ years I have scored some good stuff and have moved an awful lot of product when I have needed to.

Take ebay out of the equation and there would be a massive hole in the comics market.2c 

On 2/23/2022 at 4:34 PM, Timeless icons said:

Pics with blurry images. 

There's a seller that has that problem once in awhile.  He says his camera is terrible.  But, he's a good dealer otherwise and I will buy from him again.  He answered all my questions and I was happy with the book.  He's the guy that uses a picture of his dog as a placeholder until he uploads the actual image...lol  I'm sure you've all seen his listings...

______________________________________________________________________________________________.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 2/24/2022 at 12:00 AM, Kripsys99 said:

As a Canadian? Three words:

Global... Shipping... Program...

Pay shipping TWICE for an item (once from the seller to eBay, once from eBay to me), PLUS eBay's brokerage fee, PLUS taxes that probably wouldn't have been assessed by Canadian customs.

Kills me every time.

Also, if you sell books on eBay, consider opting out of the GSP - talking with other collectors north of the border, you'll see a huge increase in cross border sales I'm sure!

Yup. Same thing goes for the UK.  I look at (and bid on) US auctions pretty much every week, only to drop out because the GSP cost is ludicrously high AND KEEPS GOING UP. How does that work?  You start bidding on a lot where the cost to ship it is $20 and the next day the exact same comics in the exact same box making the exact same journey cost +$100 in shipping.  

On 2/24/2022 at 2:38 AM, Malacoda said:

Yup. Same thing goes for the UK.  I look at (and bid on) US auctions pretty much every week, only to drop out because the GSP cost is ludicrously high AND KEEPS GOING UP. How does that work?  You start bidding on a lot where the cost to ship it is $20 and the next day the exact same comics in the exact same box making the exact same journey cost +$100 in shipping.  

I've had no problem with the GSP. I think it's a good thing.

You buy a book for two grand and you may pay $120 under the GSP, but if you get it straight shipped and it gets stopped by customs, you will pay $500 taxes.

Technically they should not be stopped or slapped with duty because printed matter is exempt, but that doesn't stop customs getting things wrong.

Sure technically you are entitled to file a claim and get it back, but they make it ridiculously hard and they don't give it back to you.

I'm still waiting for £60 from three years ago.

I'll never see that, and I've given up.

I prefer to pay the excess charges to the GSP and get the book here safely and unmolested with a relatively small surcharge.

Peace of mind.