• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Your Biggest Peeve When Trying To Buy On Ebay?
3 3

126 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2022 at 4:34 PM, path4play said:

Pretty good list.  Only thing left I can think of is the gratuitous use of the term "RARE," SCARCE or other synonyms in the listing headings.

AND when the image just barely leaves out the edges of the comic.

AND when the image is color adjusted to the point the whites are so bleach bright I have to squint.

That can be said about HA as well. never bought a book from them and was like "Wow! that looks just like the auction listing"

They blast these books with 30 kilotons of radiation to get a nice bright and clean look. Dirty pool if ya ask me

But with over a billion in sales last year, not too many people are complaining

patterson.jpg

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 3/5/2022 at 9:07 PM, Robot Man said:

Bummer… At least a real nice file copy. I would have contacted the seller the day I got it though. Shame one needs to be so careful. 

That was before I owned a copy of Gerber and before Heritage (with their online database) was selling comics. I had it for quite a long time before I realized that it was not Four Color 135. It was also over-graded, but that's par for the course with eBay.

On 3/3/2022 at 4:34 PM, path4play said:

Pretty good list.  Only thing left I can think of is the gratuitous use of the term "RARE," SCARCE or other synonyms in the listing headings.

AND when the image just barely leaves out the edges of the comic.

AND when the image is color adjusted to the point the whites are so bleach bright I have to squint.

"WOW!" in the listing title bugs me. When I see that, I want to kick the seller in the shin.

On 3/5/2022 at 9:46 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

"WOW!" in the listing title bugs me. When I see that, I want to kick the seller in the shin.

i've used the term rare on a couple occasions but only if there were like less than 5 on the census and none on ebay

yea, ok, so sue me :sorry:

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 3/5/2022 at 7:05 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

You used to be able to see the IDs of whomever you were bidding against.

IMG_20220305_220104988.jpg

Yeah, I remember that. Was great to know who you had to compete with.

By the way $306. for a 9.2 Jumbo #156 in 01 seems pretty aggressive.

Seems you were quite the “player” back then. (worship)

On 3/6/2022 at 11:50 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, I remember that. Was great to know who you had to compete with.

By the way $306. for a 9.2 Jumbo #156 in 01 seems pretty aggressive.

Seems you were quite the “player” back then. (worship)

Well, it was 9.4 rather than 9.2, but it was probably still aggressive. It is one of my favorite Jumbo covers, though.

0101171036171.jpg

Edited by jimbo_7071

How about the non-comic people selling comics that don't know how to mail a comic correctly.  I once bought an Action #76 from a guy who found it in a box at the dump.  I explained how to mail it sandwiched between two flat pieces of cardboard, and when it arrived it was in an oversized box that had a an actual wooden board diagonally placed in the box.  The comic was laying loose between two flimsy pieces of cardboard...:whatthe:  Luckily the book wasn't damaged...

Another seller sent a comic in a flimsy envelope with one slightly bent piece of cardboard.  I gave them a lecture on mailing comics and a "neutral" feedback.  They came unglued at the neutral, got it removed, and banned me from buying from them again.  That started a long set of messages where I called them every nasty name I could think of...:roflmao:

On 3/6/2022 at 10:11 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Well, it was 9.4 rather than 9.2, but it was probably still aggressive. It is one of my favorite Jumbo covers, though.

0101171036171.jpg

Yeah, love that one too!

Funny how yesterdays “over paying” turns into todays steal! 

On 3/5/2022 at 10:05 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

You used to be able to see the IDs of whomever you were bidding against.

IMG_20220305_220104988.jpg

Wow I don't remember that even though I was around since 99. Can't believe you still have that picture. Btw the bid history still works on the few auctions I just looked at. 

On 3/6/2022 at 6:48 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Looks like that "1lollipop" guy wasn't very serious about the book...:insane:

He was saving for more lollipops, and it worked too...

He's on ebay these days as 1000lollipops.

On 3/3/2022 at 2:03 PM, Robot Man said:

How about getting what you paid for?

Recently got a slabbed book that was loose on both sides with a large scuff on one side. Seller claimed it “happened in the mail” and didn’t take returns. I was going to crack it anyway but something just didn’t smell right. Had to open a case and call eBay to get a refund.

Today, I got a package two weeks late with the wrong book in it! 

Update…

The seller with the wrong book sent me the correct one. Guess what? The centerfold was missing!

:facepalm:

On 3/5/2022 at 7:16 PM, Courageous Cat said:

That can be said about HA as well. never bought a book from them and was like "Wow! that looks just like the auction listing"

They blast these books with 30 kilotons of radiation to get a nice bright and clean look. Dirty pool if ya ask me

But with over a billion in sales last year, not too many people are complaining

patterson.jpg

Or when they totally screw up the color on the scan, like they did with this Mile High book I used to own.  2nd pic is actual color...:whatthe:

51939053540_b5b03dceef_c.jpg

39898099495_4e58155743_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

Another thing that grinds my gears...

Searching GA for a book you fancy, and having to wade thru' gazillions of photocopied issues for sale.  :deadhorse: 

On 3/5/2022 at 9:54 PM, Courageous Cat said:

i've used the term rare on a couple occasions but only if there were like less than 5 on the census and none on ebay

yea, ok, so sue me :sorry:

If you think it works?  If I have a [comic name here] [comic issue here] does "Wow" or "Rare" really help sales?  I might add an artist name [Baker] or comic category [Good Girl] or detail [coverless] which I presume buyers might search or have an alert set for.  Does anyone search for "Wow" or "Rare"?

All said and done, pretty minor infraction compared to NOT putting "Brittle" in any of the info, and receiving a bag o chips.

Edited by path4play