• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you look in a $4 box?
3 3

74 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2022 at 2:14 PM, Westy Steve said:

I received limited interest in my $5 box. Probably only sold 20 books out of there. Most of those books might sell for $10 shipped on eBay

I was considering expanding my selection of boxes…like maybe adding a $10 box. 

Were you offering any kind of discount for hitting a quantity? 

I don't really go to shows......but I remember as a kid, some of the places selling stacks of comics might have them priced at 25 cents each.......or 5 for a dollar.

Could you do that with you boxes at shows?  Maybe $5 each or five for $20?.......$10 each or six for $50?.......something like that to tempt them to grab a few extra?

On 2/23/2022 at 3:14 PM, Westy Steve said:

When I go to shows, I skip over the $1 boxes because I figure there can’t be anything good in there.  Also because I generally attend shows for only one day so I need to be judicious about how I spend my time.   (Please hold your story about how you found an AF15 in one)

I occasionally set up as a dealer at small shows. At the last one I set up a $5 box, because I don’t really accumulate stuff worth only a dollar and one $5 box takes up 1/5 the space of five separate $1 boxes. 

I received limited interest in my $5 box. Probably only sold 20 books out of there. Most of those books might sell for $10 shipped on eBay

Would these “non-$1 boxes” be of more interest to you or less?  Would you be interested in a $20 box that had discounted stuff or would you keep walking hoping to find a great bargain in the dollar boxes elsewhere?

Thanks for your feedback

with the way things are going economy and inflation wise , today's $4 box is the new $1 box 

On 2/24/2022 at 3:27 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Were you offering any kind of discount for hitting a quantity? 

I don't really go to shows......but I remember as a kid, some of the places selling stacks of comics might have them priced at 25 cents each.......or 5 for a dollar.

Could you do that with you boxes at shows?  Maybe $5 each or five for $20?.......$10 each or six for $50?.......something like that to tempt them to grab a few extra?

I tried 3 for $10, but had better luck with $4 each. Makes me agree with one of the posters on this thread who said the trick is enticing them to start looking.  

On 2/24/2022 at 7:46 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

For me, it depends on the volume. Examples:

• One LCS has about 10 long boxes, and if I have the time I will flip through them all.
  • A different LCS has about 50 long boxes and I would never even consider going through them.

Interesting.  I do agree with you that an insurmountable number of boxes can be offputting.  Perhaps because the buyer thinks, “if there is a bargain in there it shouldn’t take me long to find it”

On 2/23/2022 at 6:49 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I'm a wall guy.

I don't have the patience or interest in flipping thru books everyone else has flipped thru.

If I'm looking for something at a show, it's not $1-$10 books I can buy all day on eBay.

I admire those of you who have the patience to dig.  I'd rather go walk by the girls of Arrow autograph tables for the 7th time.

^^

On 2/24/2022 at 8:51 AM, bug33fouf said:

^^

Ah, you guys don’t understand the fun of having a cheap secondary collection!

Like if your primary focus is collecting golden age Detective comics, it can be fun and challenging to try to put together a fine or better run of Howard the Duck for $3 each or less. 

On 2/24/2022 at 7:46 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

For me, it depends on the volume. Examples:

• One LCS has about 10 long boxes, and if I have the time I will flip through them all.
  • A different LCS has about 50 long boxes and I would never even consider going through them.

But having 50 long boxes means not being elbow-to-elbow with people or having to wait/come back later to start digging.  

Usually I dig through the higher price bins as I’m generally looking for certain books but found recently going through 1$ boxes as I wanted to get some cheap books to practice pressing and cleaning but found some cool books in process. 

On 2/23/2022 at 3:14 PM, Westy Steve said:

When I go to shows, I skip over the $1 boxes because I figure there can’t be anything good in there.  Also because I generally attend shows for only one day so I need to be judicious about how I spend my time.   (Please hold your story about how you found an AF15 in one)

I occasionally set up as a dealer at small shows. At the last one I set up a $5 box, because I don’t really accumulate stuff worth only a dollar and one $5 box takes up 1/5 the space of five separate $1 boxes. 

Would these “non-$1 boxes” be of more interest to you or less?  Would you be interested in a $20 box that had discounted stuff or would you keep walking hoping to find a great bargain in the dollar boxes elsewhere?

Thanks for your feedback

I shy away from the typical $1 boxes just because they are almost always filled with complete drek.  $2/$5 boxes are great but they better be decent stuff or I have to pass them on by.  If you tried $5 a book and had very little success then its due to the books in the boxes and adding a $10 box will do you very little good unless you offer better discounts in the $10 boxes.  People like Hector do very well with $5 / $10 boxes at various cons but he also has a bunch of nice books in there that could fetch $20 on e-bay

I find you can maximize your prices on your wall books but there better be some smoking deals in those boxes to get people to dig through them.  There are so many $2 booths at most big Cons that people just come expecting steals before they buy (which has prompted me to not sell at Cons).  Let us know how it goes.

On 2/23/2022 at 3:28 PM, djzombi said:

I do all the boxes.  
I love thumbing through bargain bins.  

Same, I look at everything, starting with the cheap stuff and moving up.