• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

About that restored Justice League of America 1 I thought had a photo copied cover
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Looks like I had it wrong all the time. The seller had the comic CGC'd after he accepted the return and it came back 6.0 restored. Huge mistake on my part.

I felt the cover was a photo copy only because:

a) paper used on the cover felt thinner

b) lack of gloss on the cover

Also, there was a 3rd and 4th staple attaching the cover to the rest of the comic. I always believed this to be a symptom of a married cover. I always thought when a comic was properly restored, as part of the restoration, the original staples should be used. 

I would be very interested in a few of you chiming in on this. 

I'm still happy the book isn't in my collection as it just didn't feel right...lesson learned. 

JUSTICE LEAGUE 1.jpg

On 3/1/2022 at 7:20 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Considering that the restoration notes "cleaned", I wonder if that process affected the cover's look/feel.

Yeah, I recently bought online my first Silver Age book that was advertised as "Cleaned/Pressed," and I was VERY disappointed with how the colors and paper quality looked in person.  
I don't feel right having it in my collection and may replace it.  It looks...wrong.  Is this common for cleaning, or symptomatic of cleaning done improperly?  

This is why you send precious books to a professional and cough up the extra money to have it cleaned and pressed properly. Too many people are watching YouTube videos on how to 'clean' a comic book with improper methods. Everyone thinks they're a pro after watching a video.

Luckily, after more people destroy these old books, our precious copies get more and more rare =P

On 3/10/2022 at 6:43 PM, Pancakes! said:

How about not pressing it at all? :whatthe: :idea:

And I assume here "cleaned" doesn't mean dry cleaned, more like aqueous or chemical.

Speaking for myself, I meant dry cleaned.  

On 3/10/2022 at 6:24 PM, skypinkblu said:

Looks blue on my computer too, I was wondering if it was an error ...because the other colors look plausible.

I was seeing blue as well, but since the OP didn’t mention it I figured it was some discoloration effect from the scan.

On 3/10/2022 at 9:28 PM, Lazyboy said:

Not relevant here. This book and, undoubtedly, the one that disappointed you were more than just dry cleaned.

I assumed mine was only dry cleaned, as it was literally like a $30 book.  Who would spend cash on a chemical restoration and then sell it for $30, including shipping?  

On 3/10/2022 at 6:31 PM, djzombi said:

I assumed mine was only dry cleaned, as it was literally like a $30 book.  Who would spend cash on a chemical restoration and then sell it for $30, including shipping?  

Practice book possibly?

On 3/10/2022 at 8:31 PM, djzombi said:

Why would a $30 SA book even be worth pressing? I suppose it's technically possible to :censored: up dry cleaning so badly that it ruins the book, but :eek:. I guess it's also possible that it was pressed by an amateur insufficiently_thoughtful_person and that's what messed it up. (shrug)