• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contributors to the slow turn around times at CGC
7 7

167 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2022 at 11:59 AM, lostboys said:

But hey, we cant expect CGC to simply lose money... so the rest of us will have to make up the lost revenue by paying double.

Do you think they were bought out because they are losing money? They just raised their rates and are swimming in submissions.

The question is do they A) screw the customer over for even bigger short term profits (by keeping things the same) or B) hire a few more people and fix all the QC problems.  The second option will change their short term profitability (more or less profit, I'm not convinced they would make less with all the additional volume), but with B) they would make EVERYONE happier with better TATs which is the key to the long game (happy customers are repeat customers and this will help them if there is ever serious competition).

On 3/4/2022 at 12:59 PM, lostboys said:

Maybe thats the answer we ARE NOT looking for.

If CGC were to double its prices that would stop a lot of the bum books from being submitted...no?

Of course, we would then complain about the prices even though our books were getting graded faster.

But hey, we cant expect CGC to simply lose money... so the rest of us will have to make up the lost revenue by paying double.

Which do we prefer?

Pay what we are currently paying and wait 9 months or pay double and wait 4 months?

Yeah......there's going to be a trade-off no matter which solution is used.

I think what the other companies did was probably a decent compromise.  A temporary shut down of the slower/cheaper grading tiers.

This would (hopefully) give the graders some time to get caught up on the backlog and reduce the TAT's.........at the same time, it would still allow those that want to submit at the higher tiers the opportunity to do so.  This would also effectively be a temporary price increase, since these faster tiers are more expensive, and it would hopefully limit the amount of "drek" that people have been flooding them with.

But who knows?  I'm not going to be submitting any time soon anyway, so I'm not sure why I even care enough to post about it. :boo:

On 3/4/2022 at 1:39 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

I would like CGC to stop accepting books that are less than a year old.  By making people wait a year to submit new comics the spec driven "rush to market" books would have to wait a year and probably the heat would die down so they wouldn't get graded at all by that point.

Did you read that post before submitting?

On 3/4/2022 at 1:39 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

probably the heat would die down so they wouldn't get graded at all by that point.

That's why it will never, ever, ever, ever happen. Ever.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:39 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

I would like CGC to stop accepting books that are less than a year old.  By making people wait a year to submit new comics the spec driven "rush to market" books would have to wait a year and probably the heat would die down so they wouldn't get graded at all by that point.  

Would help a little bit at least.

1 year doesnt go far enough IMO...should be 5 years UNLESS its for a signing event ...works for me.

On 3/4/2022 at 11:55 AM, Lazyboy said:

Did you read that post before submitting?

That's why it will never, ever, ever, ever happen. Ever.

Of course, in terms of CGC profits it won't happen.  That doesn't mean it shouldn't be in place.  This is about stopping the logjam of submissions and making new books wait a year would help.

Every new release that comes out has multiple vendors with 9.8 pre sales.  Why?  Do we need that?  Just a glut of junk that can wait to get graded if the demand for it ensues.

Edited by Broke as a Joke

On 3/4/2022 at 3:06 PM, Beastfeast said:

This thread is the guide book of, "What/how I collect is good and what/how others collect is dumb."

i agree, maybe a bit harsh on drek collectors, but frustration has been growing and we gotta blame someone

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 3/4/2022 at 3:10 PM, Courageous Cat said:

i agree, maybe a bit harsh on drek collectors, but frustration has been growing and we gotta blame someone

I dig it but there's a lot of reasons why CGC is backed up -  Supply chain issues, labor shortages, massive submission numbers, constant signings...I'm not in their books or in their logistics meetings so I (and none of you) know what is THE panacea to make things go back to "normal."  

Also, from any random submitters perspective, what's the difference between someone submitting high grade silver and someone submitting mid grade moderns?  the time it takes to grade/slab 25 books is the time it takes to grade 25 books - regardless of what they are.  

I do wonder where all those 7.0 X-Men 305s are going to end up, though.  It's such a massive waste of money.  

Edited by Beastfeast
SP

It's a free country, well mostly, as long as you follow the laws of the land.

People are free to send whatever they want to CGC, despite quality, despite quantity.  No one's opinion should override that of the submitter.  It's their money to spend as they see fit.

CGC is free to handle their business whatever way they deem prudent.  It's their business, a private company, a for-profit endeavor.

It's all free enterprise, capitalism at its best.  If you don't like it, don't participate.  That's your freedom of choice.  Open your own grading company and compete for the business that seems so plentiful.

Anything else you do is UN-American.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:13 PM, Beastfeast said:

I dig it but there's a lot of reasons why CGC is backed up -  Supply chain issues, labor shortages, massive submission numbers, constant signings...I'm not in their books or in their logistics meetings so I (and none of you) know what is THE panacea to make things go back to "normal."  

Also, from any random submitters perspective, what's the difference between someone submitting high grade silver and someone submitting mid grade moderns?  the time it takes to grade/slab 25 books is the time it takes to grade 25 books - regardless of what they are.  

I do wonder where all those 7.0 X-Men 305s are going to end up, though.  It's such a massive waste of money.  

The person that submitted 200 store variants for a book that released last week doesn't have 200 silver age books to submit. 

On 3/4/2022 at 2:03 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Is there really a market for junque like this? 

1119795781_lowgrade.jpg.400db5e92ebcb7d6248b13da8d18f0fd.jpg

The book was probably a 9.8, maybe a 9.6 depending on the lower corners, before the grader spilled his coffee on the back cover. 

Edited by darkstar

On 3/4/2022 at 1:36 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Clearly the reason CGC is backed up is because people were submitting like drunken sailors who dont know what they were doing during covid with extra money to spare.

Plain and simple. 

When people keeping posting the same topics and coming up with the same dumb reasons that CGC can magically fix their problems they come off simple and uneducated on the matter.  Just check out some of the FaceBook threads and other CGC threads to see some of those level of conservations.

I understand I can be harsh to people, but when people just say over and over, "CGC just needs to hire more graders," they really are the dopes.  They dont understand how hard that truly is. 

I can't say for sure that this is factual, but I'll share a little story since you're talking about lack of graders being the bottleneck.

I called CGC in December to ask what the bleep was taking so long on the books I had submitted.  They take forever to get through pressing and then they sit for an extremely long time at the "Grading / Encapsulation / Imaging" stage.

I was told by the very nice CGC person that the bottleneck is not lack of human graders but lack of equipment -- specifically, the pressing equipment and the encapsulation equipment (what they call the "sonic sealers").

Now, if that's the case then I have to say it's a bit unforgivable.  They're making so much money, they should be able to afford the capital investment to increase their capacity.