• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contributors to the slow turn around times at CGC
7 7

167 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2022 at 12:50 PM, joeypost said:

Once people find the next get rich quick scheme, they will focus their monies elsewhere, which will lessen the backlog. ATM that shows no signs of slowing down

Which is another reason not to buy equipment. If submissions are meeting expectations its not a concern.

On 3/5/2022 at 6:51 PM, mysterymachine said:

Which is another reason not to buy equipment. If submissions are meeting expectations its not a concern.

More throughput means increased revenue. It also lessens the chances business is lost to a competitor.

Taking a year to render a service that can literally be turned in a day is not a sustainable business plan.  To put it in perspective, that's roughly 1/80th of the average persons lifespan.  And while I understand that CGC has essentially monopolistic power, the dustbin of capitalist history is littered with one-time monopolies that failed to address market issues.  It's pretty obvious that CGC's price point is too low for today's market environment... if I was in charge, I'd be raising prices until some sort of equilibrium is reached... it's a business after all (hopefully they didn't hear me just say that :whatthe:!).  And folks, I think you should expect to see that, complaints or no complaints.  Absent that, I really do think they should consider a six month moratorium on modern submissions under $400.  It's the area that gets the most submissions (by far, apparently) and has the lowest price point per item... that's an inefficient business model that is actually costing them money.  I used to submit books worth over $200.  Now, due to the crazy delays at the Economy and Standard levels, I only submit books worth over $1000.  Those previously graded books between $200-1000 now go in my eBay store raw, and guess what... they're the more high demand books, and generally speaking sell fine!  I suppose my purchasers may be submitting some of my books anyway, but one thing I know for sure is that CGC is LOSING submissions from ME at the $35-80 price points.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one that is deferring higher end business with them.  Seems to me CGC should really think about taking a short break from grading books at a $24 price point, and committing those resources to getting the more profitable submission levels back on track.  Would seem to just make business sense (shrug).

On 3/6/2022 at 9:01 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Taking a year to render a service that can literally be turned in a day is not a sustainable business plan.  To put it in perspective, that's roughly 1/80th of the average persons lifespan.  And while I understand that CGC has essentially monopolistic power, the dustbin of capitalist history is littered with one-time monopolies that failed to address market issues.  It's pretty obvious that CGC's price point is too low for today's market environment... if I was in charge, I'd be raising prices until some sort of equilibrium is reached... it's a business after all (hopefully they didn't hear me just say that :whatthe:!).  And folks, I think you should expect to see that, complaints or no complaints.  Absent that, I really do think they should consider a six month moratorium on modern submissions under $400.  It's the area that gets the most submissions (by far, apparently) and has the lowest price point per item... that's an inefficient business model that is actually costing them money.  I used to submit books worth over $200.  Now, due to the crazy delays at the Economy and Standard levels, I only submit books worth over $1000.  Those previously graded books between $200-1000 now go in my eBay store raw, and guess what... they're the more high demand books, and generally speaking sell fine!  I suppose my purchasers may be submitting some of my books anyway, but one thing I know for sure is that CGC is LOSING submissions from ME at the $35-80 price points.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one that is deferring higher end business with them.  Seems to me CGC should really think about taking a short break from grading books at a $24 price point, and committing those resources to getting the more profitable submission levels back on track.  Would seem to just make business sense (shrug).

Even though this post is making me think too much for a laid back Sunday morning, I'm giving it a thumbs-up.

(thumbsu

I look at it the exact opposite. If people would start doubling up on their submissions TATs would reach 2 years and many people would get frustrated and leave the hobby. Boom your TATs would be somewhat normal again.

On 3/6/2022 at 7:01 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Taking a year to render a service that can literally be turned in a day is not a sustainable business plan.  To put it in perspective, that's roughly 1/80th of the average persons lifespan.  And while I understand that CGC has essentially monopolistic power, the dustbin of capitalist history is littered with one-time monopolies that failed to address market issues.

I agree with you up to here 100%

On 3/6/2022 at 7:01 AM, EastEnd1 said:

It's pretty obvious that CGC's price point is too low for today's market environment... if I was in charge, I'd be raising prices until some sort of equilibrium is reached... it's a business after all (hopefully they didn't hear me just say that :whatthe:!).  And folks, I think you should expect to see that, complaints or no complaints.  Absent that, I really do think they should consider a six month moratorium on modern submissions under $400.  It's the area that gets the most submissions (by far, apparently) and has the lowest price point per item... that's an inefficient business model that is actually costing them money.  I used to submit books worth over $200.  Now, due to the crazy delays at the Economy and Standard levels, I only submit books worth over $1000.  Those previously graded books between $200-1000 now go in my eBay store raw, and guess what... they're the more high demand books, and generally speaking sell fine!  I suppose my purchasers may be submitting some of my books anyway, but one thing I know for sure is that CGC is LOSING submissions from ME at the $35-80 price points.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one that is deferring higher end business with them.  Seems to me CGC should really think about taking a short break from grading books at a $24 price point, and committing those resources to getting the more profitable submission levels back on track.  Would seem to just make business sense (shrug).

If they double their costs they may increase profits in the short term.  But graded comics are by no means a necessity.  The higher price point will drive some customers to spend their money on something else (food, drink, entertainment, more raw comics perhaps?).  But the real danger will be in off the reaming paying clients, they may pay the higher costs but submit less volume and CGC will have really opened the doors to new competition since they've already make a business case that their are real profits to be made at the current price structure.  How much business will they forfeit when what's left of their customers will just jump ship as soon as they perceived a way to cut ties with a company that screwed them over with long TAT's and ever increasing rate structure just because they could.  History is littered with companies that failed like this.

On 3/6/2022 at 9:45 AM, wombat said:

CGC won't do anything. They simply don't care. Things are pretty darn good for them right now. 

Yes, they will.  Blackstone didn’t acquire them to ‘do nothing’.  Blackstone’s objective will be to maximize revenue.  More signing events is a reflection of that.  So are the recent price increases.

I’m hoping they choose more manpower and equipment over steadily higher pricing. :wishluck:

On 4/2/2022 at 11:48 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

It's the guys submitting mass quantities of this modern junk that have gummed up the works for the rest of us.

Again, if they submitted mass quantities of silver junk would that make a difference?  Are you trying to just say that they're not monetarily worth grading?  What difference does it make what era the books came from?