• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I feel like I’m adjusting to the new prices
2 2

31 posts in this topic

I feel like I’m getting used to the higher prices.  I persevered through sticker shock and lowered my expectations of what I can buy without selling something else.  I am still selling stuff and buying new books with the proceeds  but now the numbers are bigger.  Still enjoying collecting. 

I've come to the realization recently that much of what I want now starts at or near $1000 and goes up from there. Alternatively, I've been thinking more about pursuing lower grades than I have in a while. As an old school run collector having grades yoyo all over the place isn't apppealing though. I've been patient and some things have eased a bit, but others will take a long time to settle back if ever.

Another random thought from the other day: do you suppose rich Russians might try to stash money in comic books? I would imagine the sanctions would prevent them from buying directly on the auction sites, but who knows what kind of shenanigans can be gotten away with on the bay.

On 3/3/2022 at 11:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I'm not complying with or adjusting to something that's become so bloody absurd and unrealistic for most.

Polar opposite opinion.

Don’t misinterpret me. I’m learning to live with something I don’t like. And that makes me wonder if it’s here to stay…doesn’t seem to be slowing down. 

I suspect there are going to be long-term negative implications for the hobby, as well as the obvious short-term ones.  You're going to end up with even "entry-level" books being so expensive, a lot of people who would get involved when they don't have much money - but do have the desire - will just take a pass on the hobby entirely, so they won't be around when they do have the money later on.  

I'm adjusting as well.  But the way I'm adjusting is not in what I'm paying, but in what I'm buying.  Where, in the past, I was looking at getting some good collectable comics that you never would see in the days before the internet, now I'm looking at some of the comics that got me interested in collecting in the first place and in condition that I can collect them rather than invest in them.  The long and short of it is I've always considered my collection a hobby and as such I'm only going to spend 5% or so of my take home on it.  But I still have the collecting bug and will continue to find things I can spend my money on.

Example:
Previous foci:

Schomburg covers, Early Marvels, Steranko covers in high grade

New foci:

Miller Daredevils and Early 'New X-Men' raw in fine condition, Sienkiewicz New Mutants and other painted covers

On 3/4/2022 at 1:14 PM, thunsicker said:

I'm adjusting as well.  But the way I'm adjusting is not in what I'm paying, but in what I'm buying.  Where, in the past, I was looking at getting some good collectable comics that you never would see in the days before the internet, now I'm looking at some of the comics that got me interested in collecting in the first place and in condition that I can collect them rather than invest in them.  The long and short of it is I've always considered my collection a hobby and as such I'm only going to spend 5% or so of my take home on it.  But I still have the collecting bug and will continue to find things I can spend my money on.

Example:
Previous foci:

Schomburg covers, Early Marvels, Steranko covers in high grade

New foci:

Miller Daredevils and Early 'New X-Men' raw in fine condition, Sienkiewicz New Mutants and other painted covers

This almost exactly what I’m doing. I’m having a blast picking up the books that I collected and read in the ‘80’s. Except I’m splurging a little to get the keys I couldn’t quite afford back then…(still cheap compared to the key books I used to collect). 

On 3/4/2022 at 2:50 AM, Doctor Dositheus said:

Another random thought from the other day: do you suppose rich Russians might try to stash money in comic books? I would imagine the sanctions would prevent them from buying directly on the auction sites, but who knows what kind of shenanigans can be gotten away with on the bay.

I’ve heard rumors there’s an oligarch who’s a serious collector 

On 3/3/2022 at 11:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I'm not complying with or adjusting to something that's become so bloody absurd and unrealistic for most.

Polar opposite opinion.

On 3/4/2022 at 7:16 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I have adjusted by simply not buying anything but collected editions, basically.

These.

I am not about to spend more money than what my annual budget allows for just because things are more expensive. I will just buy less things.
And interestingly enough, because prices are so high, I'm now very disinterested in the market and the hobby, which has actually helped curb my obsessive spending habits.

On 3/4/2022 at 8:06 AM, Westy Steve said:

Don’t misinterpret me. I’m learning to live with something I don’t like. And that makes me wonder if it’s here to stay…doesn’t seem to be slowing down. 

yes, its here to stay because mainstream has not only made comics socially acceptable, but also what seems like a good hedge against inflation, hence all the 1%'er d-bags jacking up the prices in the hobby (sorry if i offended anyone). Great if you are a seller, bad if you are collector

But then again if the %&$$ really hits the fan like a Venezuela situation, i hear GA books taste better than SA books

Edited by Courageous Cat