• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN spoilers thread
2 2

257 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2022 at 11:16 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

The part where Batman reaches into the cage with the bat to grab the card seemed to last about 20 minutes on its own... xD I was like, "dude, you're wearing gloves, just reach in and grab it, you'll be fine..."

The bit about that scene that I didn't like was how blatant the CGI was. I'm sure the film itself has a bunch of CGI but it's more for composition shots and backgrounds,  you still have very grounded effects. But that shot with the bat was just a bunch of CGI in your face and it wasn't jiving with the rest of the film.

And speaking of gloves, that line from Gordon about him wearing gloves had me roaring in laughter. It's not that it was so funny but the whole movie is tense so a slight bit of humor like that has a real big effect on lightening the mood. I gotta say, there were a few moments like that. I was surprised how effective the jokes were.

Edited by William-James88

On 3/4/2022 at 10:31 PM, fantastic_four said:

Perhaps I'm out of the norm in being a lifelong animal and wildlife lover, but all ll I kept wondering was how the heck are these two guys thinking a "winged rat" could ever be a stool pigeon or a penguin.  Pigeons don't look anything like rats, and most penguin species are WAAY bigger than rats, and even the smaller penguins are at best still a bit bigger than the larger rats.  I've heard bats referred to multiple times as "winged rats," however, because both bats and rats are notorious disease carriers, a fact we're all particularly well aware of now since that's the best guess for the origin of SARS and SARS-CoV-2.

Rip the wings off of any penguin species and you've got a bowling pin waddling around on two legs.  Rip the wings off a bat and it looks just like a creepy rat or mouse running around on all fours.  Where does anyone get the idea that rats and penguins are at all similar?  ???

Pidgeons are called rats with wings, it's a well known idiom. Plus they were thinking of a rat in the case, and another word for someone who talks with the cops is a stool pigeon. So it fit quite well. And that is indeed part of the riddle's answer. They were missing the 3rd part which was the type of bird (they picked penguin over falcon) and the 4th part which was the URL.

On 3/4/2022 at 10:44 PM, fantastic_four said:

Apparently there was originally two Joker scenes--one early on that was more significant, and then the one we got.  Reeves pulled both out in an earlier cut, but then re-added the last one. 

Speaking to IGN, Reeves says he filmed fake scenes with Keoghan's "Officer Merkel" to conceal the Joker's reveal. 

"When you're making a movie like this, you want it to be different, you want people to feel like they're having a special experience," Reeves explained. "So we started thinking what we could do to throw people off that scent. This idea of making [Keoghan] Stanley Merkel was exactly that, because the police force is actually a big part of the story so it seemed credible that we could be doing that."

Keoghan filmed at least two scenes as Reeves' "proto-Joker," one of which ended up on the cutting room floor. In the deleted scene expected to be available on the film's home release, Batman (Robert Pattison) visits the "Unseen Arkham Prisoner" to assist with his criminal profile of the Riddler (Paul Dano).

It was going to be Batman visiting Joker to profile the mind of a killer.

I think they could’ve cut the Joker as well.  I didn’t particularly like it.  I also didn’t like the scene near the end when Batman lead all the people out of the water with the flare.  It didn’t really “fit”.  
I did enjoy the movie overall though.  It wasn’t my favorite.  TDK is still the champion.  
I said in the regular thread that I did like the take on Bruce Wayne (even though he was hardly in it).  He always looked tired and broken.  To me, that’s what he probably would be like if he was a crime-fighting vigilante.  He wouldn’t be the “man about town” that we’re so used to seeing.  
I really like Gordon in this.  He was the closest on-screen version of the Miller Year One Gordon.  I thought he was superb. 
The make-up on Colin Ferrell blew me away.  Outstanding there.  If I didn’t know he was playing the Penguin, I never would know it was him.  Not even the slightest resemblance.  
Kravitz was good.  I wouldn’t mind seeing her again in a future Batman movie.  

On 3/4/2022 at 10:31 PM, fantastic_four said:

I've heard bats referred to multiple times as "winged rats,"

I just realized that I've mostly heard that in previous Batman works.  I think Danny DeVito's Penguin called Batman a flying rat in Returns, and I know I remember Joker calling him a flying rat in Killing Joke.

On 3/5/2022 at 7:20 AM, fantastic_four said:

I'm a big fan of Embiid, but I have a complaint.  It's aesthetic and may not matter in terms of effectiveness, but I feel it pretty much every time I see him play.  He's got a wide array of post moves...but he's barely using the tricks in his bag.  I've seen him do everything Olajuwon used to do, but Hakeem pulled his tricks out four, seven, even sometimes twenty times EVERY game.  Embiid rarely even sticks his hand into his bag of post tricks these days.  He's fallen in love with that 10 to 16 foot fadeaway, and I hate it.

He did a few up-fakes last night for the first time in a while, and that always works against guys like Allen who are shot-blockers.  He's got shimmies, shakes, up-and-unders, spins, and so many other smooth moves, but he keeps forgetting about them.  Wish he'd start doing them again, because he's too big for anyone to do ANYTHING about them, and they're all far more efficient than the great majority of shots he's currently choosing to take within 15 feet of the basket.

Tobias Harris only has one problem--he's shooting 34% from three.  He was terrible at threes his first few years in the league, and he's reverting to that.  He needs a ton of gym time.

Wrong thread.  lol

On 3/5/2022 at 7:20 AM, fantastic_four said:

I'm a big fan of Embiid, but I have a complaint.  It's aesthetic and may not matter in terms of effectiveness, but I feel it pretty much every time I see him play.  He's got a wide array of post moves...but he's barely using the tricks in his bag.  I've seen him do everything Olajuwon used to do, but Hakeem pulled his tricks out four, seven, even sometimes twenty times EVERY game.  Embiid rarely even sticks his hand into his bag of post tricks these days.  He's fallen in love with that 10 to 16 foot fadeaway, and I hate it.  He's pretty good at that fadeaway now, but it's nowhere near as efficient as his other moves.

He did a few up-fakes last night for the first time in a while, and that always works against guys like Allen who are shot-blockers.  He's got shimmies, shakes, up-and-unders, spins, and so many other smooth moves, but he keeps forgetting about them.  Wish he'd start doing them again, because he's too big for anyone to do ANYTHING about them, and they're all far more efficient than the great majority of shots he's currently choosing to take within 15 feet of the basket.

Tobias Harris only has one problem--he's shooting 34% from three.  He was terrible at threes his first few years in the league, and he's reverting to that.  He needs a ton of gym time.  I've seen every Sixers game for the past three years, and this year I just assume they're not going in.

Huh?

On 3/5/2022 at 6:42 AM, chrisco37 said:

I think they could’ve cut the Joker as well.  I didn’t particularly like it.  I also didn’t like the scene near the end when Batman lead all the people out of the water with the flare.  It didn’t really “fit”.  
I did enjoy the movie overall though.  It wasn’t my favorite.  TDK is still the champion.  
I said in the regular thread that I did like the take on Bruce Wayne (even though he was hardly in it).  He always looked tired and broken.  To me, that’s what he probably would be like if he was a crime-fighting vigilante.  He wouldn’t be the “man about town” that we’re so used to seeing.  
I really like Gordon in this.  He was the closest on-screen version of the Miller Year One Gordon.  I thought he was superb. 
The make-up on Colin Ferrell blew me away.  Outstanding there.  If I didn’t know he was playing the Penguin, I never would know it was him.  Not even the slightest resemblance.  
Kravitz was good.  I wouldn’t mind seeing her again in a future Batman movie.  

Very much agree on his portrayal of Bruce. For me, this was the most  realistic version of him from all the Batman films. 

I was impressed by the Penguin makeup...but why?  There are dozens of guys who look like that naturally, like Paul Giamatti.  I was impressed for a few minutes, then got tired of looking at it.  I'm not particularly looking forward to the supposed Penguin series we're getting on HBO Max, but who knows, maybe it'll be great.

On 3/5/2022 at 7:50 AM, fantastic_four said:

I was impressed by the Penguin makeup...but why?  There are dozens of guys who look like that naturally, like Paul Giamatti.  I was impressed for a few minutes, then got tired of looking at it.  I'm not particularly looking forward to the supposed Penguin series we're getting on HBO Max, but who knows, maybe it'll be great.

I have been wondering the same thing myself. Why bother having him in all that makeup/fx for a role that he really doesn’t appear on-screen much.  It works for me I just don’t see the logic. 

On 3/5/2022 at 6:44 AM, Bosco685 said:

So between The Heavy Spoilers Show and now Screen Crush that is more than once a reviewer notes there was a hint the murdered reporter was Riddler's father.

I said that to my wife to the film; I was surprised they didn’t confirm it.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:44 AM, Bosco685 said:

So between The Heavy Spoilers Show and now Screen Crush that is more than once a reviewer notes there was a hint the murdered reporter was Riddler's father.

I didn't make that connection. Especially since Riddler was already an orphan. I think??!!

Neither did I.  I didn’t watch the video links.  What clues were given to make that connection?  

On 3/5/2022 at 7:44 AM, Bosco685 said:

I didn't make that connection. Especially since Riddler was already an orphan. I think??!!

I didn’t make that connection either, and I thought they were actually setting up a Hush possibility with the Elliot name and how “Hush!” flashed on the screen.

I also got excited when they were talking about the “founding families of Gotham,” because I hoped they’d drop a Court of Owls hint or Easter egg, but I didn’t see anything like that.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

When Bruce was fighting the Riddler guys up on the platform at one point it looks like they've wounded him severely and he can't even walk or stand up, but then he presses some kind of button-like thing on his leg and can suddenly walk.  What was happening there?  Was it a morphine or adrenaline injection release mechanism?

On 3/5/2022 at 12:15 PM, fantastic_four said:

When Bruce was fighting the Riddler guys up on the platform at one point it looks like they've wounded him severely and he can't even walk or stand up, but then he presses some kind of button-like thing on his leg and can suddenly walk.  What was happening there?  Was it a morphine or adrenaline injection release mechanism?

He injected himself with what appears to be Venom which is what creates Bane in the comic books. Especially since it was bright green, which is the color of Venom as well.

On 3/5/2022 at 10:02 AM, chrisco37 said:

Neither did I.  I didn’t watch the video links.  What clues were given to make that connection?  

I need to go back and listen to those videos as I didn't even think of that and just assumed Riddler at that young an age was already orphaned. Maybe even if there is an article out there that touches on this.