• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does CGC treat a gate fold line?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Since nobody responded to your question...

I do not know exactly how CGC will view this "fold", however, if that fold is common among all of these books it will probably not be treated as a severe defect.

If the fold happened after the fact due to the way the book was stored then it will probably be viewed as a defect, just like the creases from the seam of the bag on polybagged books, it is a defect.

It is hard to actually see the fold by your pic (glare) so, how much of a hit would it take on what appears to be a nice high grade book?

Will the fold come out with a press?

For an exact answer you will have to wait for someone in the know, with actual experience in this situation to respond.

Edited by marvelmaniac

I think I might be able to (sadly) help with this question...

I submitted a Batman #612 that had a production fold similar to the one you show...I bought it off the rack after meticulously selecting the best copy, and thought it was a slam-dunk 9.6/9.8...I assumed the fold was a production defect.

It came back graded 8.5. :cry:

On 3/7/2022 at 7:11 PM, silverseeker said:

I submitted a Batman #612 that had a production fold similar to the one you show...I bought it off the rack after meticulously selecting the best copy, and thought it was a slam-dunk 9.6/9.8...I assumed the fold was a production defect.

Did the graders' notes indicate that at least part of the reason it graded as 8.5 was because of the gatefold line?  I only ask because there may have been other contributing factors.  

On 3/11/2022 at 3:34 PM, djzombi said:

Did the graders' notes indicate that at least part of the reason it graded as 8.5 was because of the gatefold line?  I only ask because there may have been other contributing factors.  

That was the only callout, if I remember correctly...I'll check the graders notes later and report back.

On 3/7/2022 at 6:11 PM, silverseeker said:

???

Batman 612 just has a regular cover. It would not be subject to the same conditions as a book like the one in the OP where part of the cover itself is affecting another part.

On 3/7/2022 at 6:11 PM, silverseeker said:

Maybe you're thinking Batman 619? It's still in the Hush run and has a gatefold...

On 3/11/2022 at 9:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

???

Batman 612 just has a regular cover. It would not be subject to the same conditions as a book like the one in the OP where part of the cover itself is affecting another part.

I totally agree, but it did have a subtle fold parallel to the spine which I thought was weird…I sold the book, but will find the photo I took of it, hoping it shows the defect.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:49 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Maybe you're thinking Batman 619? It's still in the Hush run and has a gatefold...

It was Batman #612 for sure…maybe it picked up the fold when someone was looking through it, but that might have been pretty unlikely…when I used to buy new books I’d try to pull the best copy from the middle of the stack to avoid copies people may have thumbed through.

On 3/11/2022 at 3:38 PM, silverseeker said:

That was the only callout, if I remember correctly...I'll check the graders notes later and report back.

I just checked the graders notes and they also called out a full-length scratch, but I don't remember there being a scratch on the book unless it was in conjunction with the bend:

bend full left of front cover
scratch full left of front cover

I've since sold the book (I got it slabbed to sell and did not have it pressed), so I unfortunately can't take another look at it to see the defects called out in the graders notes.

I did check it out pretty thoroughly before sending it in, but obviously made a hugely incorrect assumption about how the bend along the cover would be treated during grading... :facepalm:

@Motor City Rob, since your book has a gatefold the bend may be ignored during grading...should you decide to submit it I'd love to see the final grade!

On 3/4/2022 at 10:43 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Inner cover gate fold creates this line on the left side of the front cover, albeit not color breaking. Any thoughts on how CGC would assess this?

16464553086741959785957093052955.jpg

I am resubmitting my copy for the very same reason that the guy that does my pressing thinks will get it to a 9.8....crossing fingers.