• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Month in My Magazine Collection, or "How I Got Most of the Warren Mags in a Month"
2 2

370 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2022 at 11:59 PM, OtherEric said:

Just figure I should throw it out there, since you're being completest enough to buy non-comic issues of Warren Presents..

Yeah, but at least they are part of the "Warren Presents" run--and at least things like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are in my general fantasy/sci-fi wheelhouse; I can't really even muster any interest in reading an electronic copy of a romance magazine...  (shrug)

On 5/11/2022 at 12:02 AM, oakman29 said:

Quite hard to find too!

Looks like one could get the full set of 3 for about $80 shipped right now on da'Bay; I just can't get interested, even looking at the covers.  "How to Make a Boy Do Anything You Want!"?

I'll pass...

"What to Do about Pot in Your High School" might be an interesting read, though...

Edited by Axe Elf

On 5/11/2022 at 12:39 AM, OtherEric said:

The first two issues have Frazetta art.  

Admittedly, just reprints of the anti-smoking ad under a new title, but still...

::: perks :::

But no.  Nice try.  :)

On 5/10/2022 at 11:46 PM, OtherEric said:

You appear to be missing the three issues of "Teen Love Stories", which I will freely admit are extremely forgettable... but they are Warren mags that are over 50% comics.

DAMN YOU! (in a good way)  :)

I think it was the "just three issues" that got me.  If there had been even 10, I don't think I could have done it...

Well, that and the fact that I could get the first two on da'Bay right now for $35 with free shipping...

And I really want to know what to do about pot in my high school...

And the fact that I was kind of on a little feeding frenzy...  picking up the 5-issue Harris run of The Rook (I know, it looks dumb), the Lord of the Rings movie special, and 4 of the 5 Comix Internationals (just need #3 now) in the last couple of days.

So all 4 Blazing Combats, 4 Special Editions (SPIRIT, VAMPIRELLA, The Odd Comic World of Richard Corben, and Best of Blazing Combat), 1 Comix International (#3), 1 Teen Love Stories (#3), and the 22 SHUDDERs and VAMPIRESS CARMILLAs to catch up on by the end of the year--and I'm home.

(Maybe HELP! if I get bored.)

I can't believe I got talked into Teen Love Stories...  I feel like I just paid $20 for a Tiger Beat or something.

Which version of Comix International #4 did you get?  You know there are multiple versions with slightly different contents, right?

(I'm having entirely too much fun seeing what I can get you to add to the list... mostly because it's like watching myself and my continual tendency to add more and more items to the want list.)

On 5/12/2022 at 1:15 AM, OtherEric said:

Which version of Comix International #4 did you get?  You know there are multiple versions with slightly different contents, right?

(I'm having entirely too much fun seeing what I can get you to add to the list... mostly because it's like watching myself and my continual tendency to add more and more items to the want list.)

I saw there was a variant in some price guides, but I don't know enough about either to know which one.  So far, I've also managed to avoid being drawn into the "variants" game, so hopefully this is the standard edition.  It looks pretty much the same as all the other #4s listed on da'Bay right now, so you tell me?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Axe Elf

Oh, and I just found the Teenage Love Stories #3 for $15 (shipped) too...

So all 4 Blazing Combats, 4 Special Editions (SPIRIT, VAMPIRELLA, The Odd Comic World of Richard Corben, and Best of Blazing Combat), 1 Comix International (#3), and the 22 SHUDDERs and VAMPIRESS CARMILLAs to catch up on by the end of the year--and I'm home.

(Maybe HELP! if I get bored.)

On 5/11/2022 at 11:25 PM, Axe Elf said:

I saw there was a variant in some price guides, but I don't know enough about either to know which one.  So far, I've also managed to avoid being drawn into the "variants" game, so hopefully this is the standard edition.  It looks pretty much the same as all the other #4s listed on da'Bay right now, so you tell me?

s-l1600.jpg

The variants have to do with what stories are inside the book, the covers are identical.  One version had two Corben stories, another had three.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:54 AM, OtherEric said:

The variants have to do with what stories are inside the book, the covers are identical.  One version had two Corben stories, another had three.

Well, it says "1st edition" in the description, if that helps, but no pics of the contents page, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.  So which is the standard and which is the variant--the two Corben stories or the three?

On 5/12/2022 at 2:22 AM, Axe Elf said:

So which is the standard and which is the variant--the two Corben stories or the three?

Looks like CGC thinks that the variant edition is the one with 2 Corben stories, so I hope I'm getting the standard edition with 3.  Seems kind of odd that they would take something OUT of a variant/2nd edition; usually they put something EXTRA in those to motivate people who already have the original to buy another copy.  Not sure why anyone would want the variant if it has fewer stories in it.

lf?set=path%5B1%2F5%2F4%2F7%2F7%2F15477954%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 5/12/2022 at 8:24 AM, Axe Elf said:

Looks like CGC thinks that the variant edition is the one with 2 Corben stories, so I hope I'm getting the standard edition with 3.  Seems kind of odd that they would take something OUT of a variant/2nd edition; usually they put something EXTRA in those to motivate people who already have the original to buy another copy.  Not sure why anyone would want the variant if it has fewer stories in it.

It doesn't have FEWER stories, it just has DIFFERENT stories.  I suspect what happened at this point with the Comix International was they were printing extra color sections when they did their regular issues to bind together to form the Comix International issues.  They wound up with enough of several stories, and a few more where they had extras but not enough for all the copies.  So they stuck those sections in multiple versions.

I think that's why, in the table of contents for the issue, two of the stories are labeled "A Surprise Bonus Story".  What got put in that slot varied from copy to copy.

On 5/12/2022 at 11:45 AM, OtherEric said:

It doesn't have FEWER stories, it just has DIFFERENT stories.

I thought the variant just had 2 Corben stories instead of 3.  So they not only removed a Corben story, but they added an additional story to the variant?  Granted, there's not a lot of info out there, but I'm not seeing anything about that.

Anyway, I'm probably ok with just having the standard issue, if that's what I get, but if this is the variant, then I'll probly still get the standard issue too sometime.

On 5/12/2022 at 2:33 PM, OtherEric said:

https://www.comics.org/series/16202/

GCD  has data on both versions.

Oh that's perfect!  I was even on that site, but couldn't find the individual issue info for some reason.

So it looks like there are two different stories between the two versions, the second and the seventh, but since all of them are reprints, it doesn't really matter which one I get, as long as I have one of them.  :)

You know me, though; I could probably be talked into the other one at some point in the future, just for the sake of ultimate completeness.

On 5/8/2022 at 11:45 PM, OtherEric said:

Skywald failed to correctly set up the copyright on their magazines.  (They did do them correctly on their comic-sized books.)  So CB+ carries them, they're past DCM's cutoff:

https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=3515

Finally got someone's attention through a "Contact Us" email to get my registration approved--so I now have digital copies of all the Skywalds!  (Well, at least all the ones available at that site; I don't know if there are others or not.)

On 5/13/2022 at 1:48 PM, Axe Elf said:

Finally got someone's attention through a "Contact Us" email to get my registration approved--so I now have digital copies of all the Skywalds!  (Well, at least all the ones available at that site; I don't know if there are others or not.)

I think they have all the Skywald magazines, like I mentioned the comics are not PD.  But some of the scans are somewhat underwhelming quality.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:04 PM, OtherEric said:

But some of the scans are somewhat underwhelming quality.

Well, ya get what you pay for...

Is there anyone out there grading electronic comics?  Hmmm...

Yanno, it occurs to me that electronic comics are kind of the yang to the yin of the slabbed comic.  The slabbed comic only has value as a commodity, not for its ability to be read.  The electronic copy only has value in its content--to be read--but zero value as a commodity.

Three days after being made aware that these existed, #3 hit my mailbox today...

550249721_TeenLoveStories3F.thumb.jpg.ff1a2bcd553577d60cc226a12f72b5f6.jpg

And it looks like my Comix International #4 is 4A, with "The Power and the Gory" as the second story, as that four-out-of-five run also arrived today.  I wouldn't necessarily rule out a 4B sometime if I found an affordable copy, but it might be hard to find an affordable copy that looks as nice as the others.  I'm already going to be challenged to find an affordable #3 that fits in with the set.  #1 is particularly nice...

505007605_ComixInternational1F.thumb.jpg.f48c3621923b61363900caae773b2df7.jpg

So the niceness of the Comix Internationals will contrast with the beaterhood of the Blazing Combats, of which I just picked up a full set of 4 that look like they have been in some foxholes for $135.  Still, with the prices I was seeing for beater copies of #1 alone, I feel like I did ok.  These are the listing pics from da'Bay.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

So that leaves...

Comix International #3

The Best of Blazing Combat

The Odd World of Richard Corben

The SPIRIT Special

VAMPIRELLA Special

(and HELP!?)

...and now I'm hearing about four issues of After Hours and two issues of On The Scene?  Why hasn't anyone mentioned these before?

...and there ARE only ten issues of Monster World...

...smh...