• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever Think of Selling Your Entire Collection for One Big Book?
5 5

104 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I know a lot of you here have some serious collections so perhaps this question doesn't wouldn't apply to you. If so consider it hypothetical.

Just wondering if anybody beside myself has ever considered selling every book you have to obtain one big one. I think for a lot of us other than the huge million dollar "grails" - Action 1, Tec 27, Captain America 1, Bat 1, Sup 1, maybe Marvel Comics 1, and maybe 2 or 3 others, this could be done. Maybe some have already done this. Doesn't even have to be a Golden Age book. Maybe a high grade Silver or a 9.8 Bronze book. 

Hypothetically if you were to do this what book (or two) would you get ? I've thought about a few. Action 7, Tec 29, 31, or 38. Even a Flash 1. 

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 3/12/2022 at 11:28 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I personally hate Robin, so the Tec 38 wouldn’t be my choice

I would consider buying a Tec 38 but only at 40-50% off going rate in today's market. :sumo:

paging @Chicago Boy Robin's greatest cheerleader lol

The other day on Instagram I saw someone post a handful of (entry level) 38s in his collection. As if 1 copy wouldn't be bad enough. Is that you Chicago Boy ? :baiting:

Seek HELP. Quickly.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 3/12/2022 at 9:16 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I could sell every book I own and probably get a mid grade AF15. But then I’d miss all the books I had more I think so I will never do it. To me, more makes me happy. I love the diversity of my collection more than I’d value one single book

i've recently given a good deal of thought into moving my biggest g.a. book and my af 15 undercopy into the highest graded af 15 they would essentially "trade" for.

Edited by Straw-Man

I should clarify I suppose. I have a ton of golden age books that are super rare, I did not part with ANY of those. Most of what I sold were my major ASM and Thor keys. I have a lot of books that are essentially irreplaceable

Edit: Also, that AF15 is worth 3x what I paid for it less than a year later. So I'm glad I made the move when I did

Edited by Nic8612

Today, this idea holds no interest for me.  I like being able to go back and re-read books I bought 45 years or more ago.  But I can imagine this sometime in the future because it would be easier on my heirs if they chose to cash out my collection to do that with one book rather than 4000.

Like others, I can say I would sell books I don't care as much about (basically anything I have that's post-Bronze outside certain titles) to pay for all or part of a single sweet high-grade Silver Age key book I don't have like @Straw-Man's AF #15 undercopy.

Edited by MattTheDuck

To each his own. I can understand why a collector would want to. It's the reverse for me. Over the past few years, as my posts in other threads show, I've built a library of hardcover books that span the whole spectrum of my various interests and I'm now enjoying reading them. Effectively, my apartment became a three room library. To do so I stopped buying comics, though I held onto what I had. I've no idea what the books cost me, but while it would probably have been more than their resale value, I can be fairly sure that what they cost me would have bought me no more than a handful of GA comics, as opposed to some 1500 to 2000 hardbacks. And I'd have nothing to read. While its certainly true that the hypothetical handful of GA books would have had greater investment potential, I don't think that would have been adequate compensation.