• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect auction ending today (3/14)
2 2

36 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is going to end up like last week's ComicLink auction but heading into the end of the auction tonight there looks to be some good deals on quite a few pages. There are two Mazzucchelli pages up and both seem pretty low to me. 

On 3/14/2022 at 9:46 PM, batman_fan said:

That seems like a very strong price but in the current environment is seems impossible to over estimate final hammer prices.

For quite a while I have been saying on these boards that, as bidders, we don’t have to play this price escalation game by simply not bidding. That would help keep the market reasonable. I could have bought the piece if I really wanted to spend the money. I just didn’t see the personal satisfaction in it. Besides, it is in what I consider a soft price spot in the hobby due to its age, involving artists whose popularity has passed, who were employing a style that’s out of favor, on a character of limited interest.

The one thing I do regret is bidding early with higher-than-tracking bids. I think that might have resulted in a stronger than expected end result. By encouraging one-upsmanship when there was too much time left to think, and bid again.

On 3/15/2022 at 1:49 AM, Rick2you2 said:

For quite a while I have been saying on these boards that, as bidders, we don’t have to play this price escalation game by simply not bidding. That would help keep the market reasonable. I could have bought the piece if I really wanted to spend the money. I just didn’t see the personal satisfaction in it. Besides, it is in what I consider a soft price spot in the hobby due to its age, involving artists whose popularity has passed, who were employing a style that’s out of favor, on a character of limited interest.

The one thing I do regret is bidding early with higher-than-tracking bids. I think that might have resulted in a stronger than expected end result. By encouraging one-upsmanship when there was too much time left to think, and bid again.

I have a similar view on bidding.  Bidding real high up front results in other interested parties in bidding up to see how high something is.  

You bid high and still don’t overtake the top bid.  You think “wow, someone must really like that piece way more than me” and then you start thinking “it is really nice, sure I thought it was worth $5k but really it looks more like an $8k piece”.  

Next thing you know you bump up the max you are whiling to pay and you may repeat this process multiple times on something.  I have been caught in this multiple times.  My recent Dennis the Menace is a perfect example where I decided I was going to win regardless the price.  In reality, I would have tapped out at some point but fortunately I didn’t have to.

I purchased my first auction win (besides Ebay) in this series and I felt I overpaid by 20% for the particular piece.  But I justified it by saying I only purchase a piece maybe 2-3 times a year and my collecting field is so specific and narrow that I could afford this specific indulgence.  So hopefully the art transfer will be smooth and without incident.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:05 AM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

I purchased my first auction win (besides Ebay) in this series and I felt I overpaid by 20% for the particular piece.  But I justified it by saying I only purchase a piece maybe 2-3 times a year and my collecting field is so specific and narrow that I could afford this specific indulgence.  So hopefully the art transfer will be smooth and without incident.

Only 20%? Bargain.

There is also something that I personally feel occurring in the OA market.  I do not bid a lot any more, I do not buy very many pieces either (think I'm averaging 1 every 18 months or more over past 5 years) so ostensibly I have been priced out of the OA market, in that the pieces I would like to add or buy are very much more expensive than I'm willing to pay for them. In the 5 years prior to that I had been averaging 12-15k / year in art.  This reduction in purchasing has had absolutely zero impact on the OA market :roflmao:

I did win a piece in the Comic Connect auction, I over paid and I'm ok with that.  I'm not great about it, im ok with it, kind of accepting the terms of entry into the pieces I like.

The thing that has been creeping into the equation for me now is that for almost all of my time as an OA collector, the only pieces I regret are the ones I DIDN'T purchase.  Over past few years that has not been the case, in fact there is subtle regret or at least a questioning of the purchases I've made which fuels reduction in participation and so on.  Its not a rash feeling of "I have to sell the stuff I bought over the past 3 year because its a constant reminder of being an:tonofbricks: for paying a certain price for a piece."  But the economics to nostalgic enjoyment equation is a lot more out of balance.

I think this is what it means to feel 'priced out' where you still have the means, but the utility of ownership fails to justify the cost more and more. This feeling is also not stagnant.  It might be in a few years I will continue to enjoy the pieces, maybe I will regret not buying more as the market continues to rise and I am fully no longer a participant :wavingwhiteflag:, or maybe I'll continue to accept that I over paid here and there for this snapshot in time.

Anyway, congratulations to all the people who obtained pieces in this and the first auction cycle of 2022.

Sidebar, interesting that CC's inclusion of a BP has proliferated over more and more pieces. I fondly remember the days when Vince would pop on here and tout their no BP in relation to Heritage. :flipbait:

Just curious as to thought about the BP of CC verses Heritage regarding consignments and the value of services for each auction house in relation to the BP charged.

Edited by jbud73

On 3/15/2022 at 1:54 PM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

Well, that’s on top of the 15% buyer’s premium soooo 35% total?

Still pretty good. Take last year’s market price on anything of some collector interest and double it. If you get it for less, welcome to the new reality (as I found out above).

On 3/16/2022 at 12:58 AM, jbud73 said:

I think this is what it means to feel 'priced out' where you still have the means, but the utility of ownership fails to justify the cost more and more.

Excellent summation, Jason! 

On 3/16/2022 at 1:54 AM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

Well, that’s on top of the 15% buyer’s premium soooo 35% total?

The BP is part of the price.  Don't think of them as separate things, just look at the total price as your actual cost.  I've never cared about what the hammer price at Heritage is, because I just figure out what the total price that I'm willing to pay is, divide by 1.2 and that's the number I bid.  

On 3/16/2022 at 12:58 AM, jbud73 said:

Just curious as to thought about the BP of CC verses Heritage regarding consignments and the value of services for each auction house in relation to the BP charged.

CC's lack of transparency on BP, particularly compared to Heritage, speaks volumes.